Can 2017 measure up to 2016?

Please remove me plz, i'm not part of a Mike Perry fan club
You're considered to be in Legion of Groove, the Lando Vannato fan club

shoop-lando-c-bless-2-jpg.192391

It was a great year, Conor's high speed pursuit through the UFC ended in traditional fashion, with an empty gas tank.

Ronda lasted less time in the Octagon than Christy Mack's lover lasts in bed when the War Machine comes home unexpectedly.

Tyron Woodley made me racist and incredibly sleepy.

Eddie Alvarez' dog couldn't climb over the safety gate and missed his bout with Conor McGregor.

Platinum Mike Perry learned a valuable lesson in that sometimes, speed is not always in the hands but in the feet too, boy that handsome fucker can run!

It's going to be a hard year to top, Platinum Mike Perry on trial for the cold blooded pre-meditated murder of Jake Ellenberger might just do it though.

Last edited:
It was a great year, Conor's high speed pursuit through the UFC was ended in traditional fashion, with an empty gas tank.

Ronda lasted less time in the Octagon than Christy Mack's lover lasts in bed when the War Machine comes home unexpectedly.

Tyron Woodley made me racist and incredibly sleepy.

Eddie Alvarez' dog couldn't climb over the safety gate and missed his bout with Conor McGregor.

Platinum Mike Perry learned a valuable lesson in that sometimes, speed is not always in the hands but in the feet too, boy that handsome fucker can run!

It's going to be a hard year to top, Platinum Mike Perry on trial for the cold blooded pre-meditated murder of Jake Ellenberger might just do it though.
The Platinum One definitely missed that bus at the end of 2016 on the Fox card.....

kGj4dsk.jpg

.....but when he smashes the Juggernaut, he will outrun that bus like it's stuck in traffic

Id say theres no chance 2017 surpasses 2015 or 16. No Mcgregor, Rousey, Lesnar, etc and the first 4 months of 2017 has been lackluster at best with nothing too crazy in the near future.

I hope this isnt an indication of IMG being incredibly incompetent, and more just that there was no way they could have kept up with thebtorrent pace of the last 2 years.

I was never the same once PRIDE went under. I particularly missed the fighters' never say die spirit & the undying support of the fans to their fighters, win or lose.

Platinum Mike is a throwback to those times I feel. He reminds me of the time when fighters were fighters, a modern day Rickson Gracie if you will. He'll more likely carry the UFC in the years to come and I'm proud to be called a member of his Nation.

giphy.gif

Id say theres no chance 2017 surpasses 2015 or 16. No Mcgregor, Rousey, Lesnar, etc and the first 4 months of 2017 has been lackluster at best with nothing too crazy in the near future.

I hope this isnt an indication of IMG being incredibly incompetent, and more just that there was no way they could have kept up with thebtorrent pace of the last 2 years.
Got to agree with this post really. Compare what had happened already by late march/early april last year to this year or 2015 as correctly stated and it's nowhere near as exciting.

Got to agree with this post really. Compare what had happened already by late march/early april last year to this year or 2015 as correctly stated and it's nowhere near as exciting.

GSP could help, especially if he beats bisping and goes to fight woodley or even mcgregor as had been rumored hed drop to 155.

If they hit both the Diaz bros with some money, they could float a few PPV and big fights.

They have the talent to put on great fight beyond the name power, they just arent doing it. Thats whats concerning to me. As a diehard, the lack of big fights is no big deal. The lack of good matchmaking thus far imo has been a problem.

after ellemburguer

cowboy

then lawler
I was just thinking he would kill Lawler if he runs over Ellenberger, but oh boy Cowboy would get annihilated.

they are ripe for the pickin'

6diXJKZ.gif

2016 was a very good year in MMA, a lot of great fights and exciting moments. 2017 so far has been boring and dull, we are 3 months through now. We'll see how it pans out later in the year

Such a cynical post friend, you don't have anything nice to say?
Sorry about that. On a positive note I think both of them put on great fights and will make excellent gatekeepers.

2016 was an awesome year to be an MMA fan, we'd just come off a white hot 2015. There were some awesome moments in 2016 and I'm wondering if 2017 is going to manage to measure up to it. Below is a quick recap on some of the highlights of 2016. Please don't kick my arse if I miss some out, instead add them to the thread and let the discussion flow...

2016 Highlights

GettyImages-538200166.0.jpg

Michael Bisping going from career Journeyman to becoming the MW champion with victories over Anderson Silva, Luke Rockhold and Dan Henderson.

maxresdefault.jpg

Stipe Miocic's meteoric rise from part time fire fighter to UFC champion was nothing short of incredible. His best wins prior to 2016 were Roy Nelson and Mark Hunt but his one fight against a real top level fighter in JDS resulted in defeat. In 2016, he beat 3 legends of the sport in impressive fashion and also continues being a fire fighter.

usa-today-9064978.0.jpg

Dominick Cruz made a triumphant return to the bantamweight division reclaiming his title and then defending after having one fight in near enough five years.

ufc196_12_diaz_mcgregor_015.jpg

UFC 196, it wasn't supposed to be this way but it was. Conor was supposed to face RDA for the LW belt and RDA broke his foot in training. There were many options for opponents but Conor picked the "easiest", Nate Diaz, a career journeyman who was coming off a great victory over Michael Johnson but on vacation partying in Mexico when called about the fight. Nate shocked the world and defied the odds in a fight few gave him a chance in when he forced Conor McGregor to submit.

750x422

Amanda Nunes not only became the first openly homosexual UFC (possibly in all MMA?) champion when she defeated Meisha Tate at UFC 200. She then cemented her place as champion by besmirching Ronda Rousey in roughly 48 seconds.

FailingGoodnaturedBuffalo.gif

This was not supposed to happen, Robbie Lawler was the unstoppable warrior at the top of the UFC's welterweight division until he was sent into the nether region by a Tyron Woodley overhand right. Since then Tyron Woodley has also become a champion of social justice within the UFC along with striking budding friendships with Super Sage Northcutt and Platinum Mike Perry.

eddie-alvarez-ufc-fight-night-90.jpg

The underground king Eddie Alvarez finally got UFC gold. For a long time considered to be one of the best LW fighters outside of the UFC, he had a lacklustre start to his UFC career amassing a loss and two split decision victories. Many would argue this by no means qualifies you for a title shot in a division such as LW but when he was given the opportunity, he seized it with both hands.

maxresdefault.jpg

$300k, a new BJJ coach, five months and the implementation of leg kicks made the world of difference in McGregor/Diaz 2. Whilst not the type of victory that Conor predicted, a victory nonetheless against a very tough opponent. This victory cemented Conor's position as the biggest star in MMA history.

lqrcd9f.gif

UFC 202 was historic for more than just McGregor/Diaz 2. This was then the UFC was introduced to Platinum Mike Perry. From the legendary weigh in antics to the controversial statements made by his cornerman and then the devastating way he finished Hyun Gyu Lim, everything about him said star. Arguably the most impressive UFC debut by an unknown fighter ever. Shortly after this, the Platinum Nation was birthed and Mike continues to have a cult following. Mike also beat Danny Roberts at UFC 204, knocking him out three times in the same fight.

Screen-Shot-2016-12-10-at-16.53.39.png

Platinum Mike Perry was not the only fighter to emerge out of 2016 with a cult following on Sherdog. Lando Vannata has also emerged as star, nearly finishing one of the top LW fighters in his first fight and scoring a highlight reel victory in his next one. With the full support of the Legion of Groove behind him, Lando Vannata has a bright future in MMA.

UFC205_2016_328x253_v2.328.254.jpg

UFC 205, one of the most stacked cards ever did not fail to deliver. It had it all, controversy, great finishes, wars and a great crowd. Yoel Romero got a frightening knockout victory over Chris Weidman which cemented him as the number one contender in the UFC for the MW title. Conor McGregor put on a career best performance against Eddie Alvarez in which he made the LW champion look like a rank amateur.

dochoi-1024x576.jpg

Dana White's tweet says it all about this fight:

It had it all, near finishes for both men, incredible displays of heart and pure violence. This is one of those rare fights that raises both mens stock. DHC is legitimized as a genuine FW prospect and Cub is back on track to being considered a real contender again.

s1.jpg

Emergence of new Heavyweights. In perhaps one of the most stale divisions in the UFC with a high average age for the top ten at the start of 2016, it has been awesome to see fighters such Stipe Miocic, Francis Ngannou and Derrick Lewis climbing the rankings. Honorary mention to Derrick Lewis' social media accounts.

Cody-Garbrandt-772697.jpg

Cody Garbrandt, started the year as a 7-0 prospect whose best win was against Marcus Brimmage and finished it as BW champion with a victory over Dominick Cruz. Domnick was supposed to pick Cody apart, instead the opposite happened. With an incredibly dominant fourth round showing, Cody cemented his place as one of the best BW fighters in the world.

2017?
What will be the big stories of 2017? Who will have the best run? Who will be the next star to emerge and can it live up to 2016?

No way it is basically already to late. I think 2016 will go to history as one of the greater years, we will have to wait a time until it gets beat.

Back