Calzaghe's 4 best wins all happened in 2006-2008.

codfather

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
  1. Hopkins (2008)
  2. Kessler (2007)
  3. Jones (2008)
  4. Bika (2006)

Last edited:
From his first 34 fights, only Chris Eubank, Robin Reid and Richie Woodhall really stand out as tough match-ups.

Calzaghe is considered by many to be the greatest UK fighter of all-time.

I’ve not heard many outside of his home land claim this but he is definately one of the best

youre questioning his resume even though he was unbeaten and has 2 legends on it. They were most certainly past their best but the title of this thread is laughable if we are looking at it factually. He has some good names on it other than those. Not sure why you stopped at 34 fights?
What would you say about deontay wilders first 34 opponents? In both cases it doesn't matter 1 bit who they fought within 34 fights!

Oh c'mon.

Sakio bika
Eubank
Kessler
Hopkins
Jones jr

Mate..

That Hopkins decision was disputable and getting body shot dropped by a RJJ in 2008 is kinda embarrassing but that said he's the longest reigning super middleweight champion of all time and tied for the most defenses at 21

Anytime a fighter retires undefeated there are usually some pretty serious question marks about their resumes

Oh c'mon.

Sakio bika
Eubank
Kessler
Hopkins
Jones jr

Mate..
Eh.

To call Roy jones a shell of himself at that point would be an insult to shells

Same with Eubank.

Kessler and Lacy are his best wins

I'm still convinced Hopkins beat him.

Anytime a fighter retires undefeated there are usually some pretty serious question marks about their resumes
This. I think it was Duran who said something along the lines of if he retires with a 0 then he fought nobodies ( I’m not doing the quote justice tho)

From his first 34 fights, only Chris Eubank, Robin Reid and Richie Woodhall really stand out as tough match-ups. That 34-fight period covers over 9 years.

I feel he's overrated. He had a very low quality of competition until the last couple of years of his reign. His biggest accomplishment is Kessler since Jones and Hopkins were past their primes fighting a bigger guy.

I'm still convinced Hopkins beat him.
It was close but Hopkins couldn't keep up the pace. Roy landed a great shot but it was with his wrist. I think Joe displayed a lot of talent but I wouldn't give him full credit for his wins against Roy and Bernard.

This. I think it was Duran who said something along the lines of if he retires with a 0 then he fought nobodies ( I’m not doing the quote justice tho)
It's hard to say how true that is. There's something to be said for losing to push yourself to the limit. There's nothing to say you aren't so good that you can fight the best and still be undefeated. :cool:

I feel he's overrated. He had a very low quality of competition until the last couple of years of his reign. His biggest accomplishment is Kessler since Jones and Hopkins were past their primes fighting a bigger guy.

Bullshit

Omar Sheika beat Glenn Johnson, Calzaghe destroyed him in his next fight

Richie Woodhall well established WBC champ, Calzaghe destroyed him

Byron Mitchell, should have been a unified champion abter a robbery against Ottke in Germany, Calzaghe stopped him in 2

Charles Brewer, also should have been champ beating Ottke in Germany, said Calzaghe was one of the best he ever faced

Mario Veit beat current champ Juergen Braehmer, he was a 30-0 German supposed to be a threat to Calzaghe

Gave Sakio Bika a boxing lesson, a fighter who went on to give Andre Ward arguable his toughest fight to date

What about when Glen Johnson called him out, then got beat by Omar Sheika, so Calzaghe destroyed Sheika instead

From his first 34 fights, only Chris Eubank, Robin Reid and Richie Woodhall really stand out as tough match-ups. That 34-fight period covers over 9 years.

Delaney

Reid

Eubank

Sheika

Woodhall

Veit

Brewer

Mitchell

Lacy

Bika

Kessler

Hopkins