calzaghe

Trudge

Purple Belt
Reaction score
he gets so much hate, its comical.
ive been on these boards a while and i remember the old "lacy will KO calzaghe", didnt happen, "kessler is the man, calzaghe has no chance" look what happened there, "hopkins is an all time great, calzaghe wont be able to land anything on him"
the man gets no respect, he doesnt owe you, or boxing anything!
boxing hasnt given him anything, HE did it, HE worked hard in the gym, HE has natural talent, and HE was willing to put his body on the line
everything he's ever done HE has earned
the sport of boxing doesnt just say, "oh you wanna make money, here have a mil"
what do you think he owes boxing????

I agree the hate is ridiculous and some of the comments are just plain stupid and really demonstrate the level of intelligence held by the people posting them.

However to say boxing hasn't given him anything is wrong. Without boxing we wouldn't even know who he is.

I agree the hate is ridiculous and some of the comments are just plain stupid and really demonstrate the level of intelligence held by the people posting them.

Some of the people here posting comments have probably never watched his fights. I wouldnt get worked up over it.

He deserves every ounce of the shit he gets. Good on him to become wealthy, retire undefeated and have a few quality wins at the end of his career.

The reality is he could have been, and possibly could even be, an all-time great but we'll never know because he fought cans for the majority of his career. He beat a grossly overrated Lacy, a strong win with Kessler, a worthless cleanup on RJJ and a hotly contested close decision with Hopkins (I scored it 114 even, but it was far from a robbery, just a close fight). That's it. Literally.

Just because he got rich off boxing doesn't mean he isn't allowed to reveal some things he thought were fucked up. If anyone is allowed to have an opinion on the seedy side of boxing, it's him. But when someone famous opens their mouth, they forget that the anthill of dumb morons out there are just waiting to pounce on any word that makes sense. Calzaghe makes sense.

Just because he got rich off boxing doesn't mean he isn't allowed to reveal some things he thought were fucked up. If anyone is allowed to have an opinion on the seedy side of boxing, it's him. But when someone famous opens their mouth, they forget that the anthill of dumb morons out there are just waiting to pounce on any word that makes sense. Calzaghe makes sense.

This makes no sense. How is Calzaghe above other great fighters of our era? You said "if anyone is allowed to have an opinion on the seedy side of boxing, it's him." Joe is a great fighter. That being said, he never took risks until late in his career. He never pursued any big name fighters on American soil until late in his career. If his comments were accurate, then I'd entetain them. However, they are far from that. What Brez said was spot on about Calzaghe. Nobody is taking credit away from him, but to piss on the sport like he did is bullshit. If Amercian boxing is lagging as badly as he says then he should fight Chad. 80/20 in Wales? Chad is basically fighting for free. Looks like his "0" is the most important thing to him.

This makes no sense. How is Calzaghe above other great fighters of our era? You said "if anyone is allowed to have an opinion on the seedy side of boxing, it's him." Joe is a great fighter. That being said, he never took risks until late in his career. He never pursued any big name fighters on American soil until late in his career. If his comments were accurate, then I'd entetain them. However, they are far from that. What Brez said was spot on about Calzaghe. Nobody is taking credit away from him, but to piss on the sport like he did is bullshit. If Amercian boxing is lagging as badly as he says then he should fight Chad. 80/20 in Wales? Chad is basically fighting for free. Looks like his "0" is the most important thing to him.

its because chad isnt half the boxer kessler is
how would calzaghe be motivated by fighting someone with no star power who poses no legitamate threat???
people wouldnt take a risk on calzaghe, that was the problem, rjj and hopkins dodged him for years because he was a small name but a big risk. and from calzaghes point of view, why take a big fight with a big name, away from home, for terrible money?
it took him destroying lacey for america to realise what we in britain always knew.
p.s.The only boxer i think zag ever "dodged" was johnson

He deserves every ounce of the shit he gets. Good on him to become wealthy, retire undefeated and have a few quality wins at the end of his career.

The reality is he could have been, and possibly could even be, an all-time great but we'll never know because he fought cans for the majority of his career. He beat a grossly overrated Lacy, a strong win with Kessler, a worthless cleanup on RJJ and a hotly contested close decision with Hopkins (I scored it 114 even, but it was far from a robbery, just a close fight). That's it. Literally.

thats the problem with americans though mate, they think that if its not an american fighter, or at least someone big in america he beat, then they must be terrible.
look at his wins on the domestic scene, a lot of them are very good, how can you think beating eubank and an in form robin reid are nothing????

im a joe fan, always have been for years and always backed him to the hilt but he has been talking some shite lately.

if calzaghe was so busting for these big fights he would have travelled to american earlier in his career and fought his way to a big showdown.

he only took them big fights when he stock was on the up and the others were on the down and coming to the end of there careers.

kessler was a good win for joe.
lacy was at the time be its being proved that he was not at the level people thought.

joe still a top fighter but these doubts will always linger over him.

cant belive some guy dissing dawson here.
hes dif the biggest threat around that weight imo.
would be a good fight and hope they make it in wales.
calzaghe will find a way to win

how would calzaghe be motivated by fighting someone with no star power who poses no legitamate threat???
people wouldnt take a risk on calzaghe, that was the problem, rjj and hopkins dodged him for years because he was a small name but a big risk. and from calzaghes point of view, why take a big fight with a big name, away from home, for terrible money?
it took him destroying lacey for america to realise what we in britain always knew.

Spot on with the small name/money but big risk comment, exactly why imo that RJJ and Hopkins never fought him years ago and why Calzaghe shouldn't risk his legacy against the likes of Chad Dawson!!

But see Brez your criticisms are justified, most people are just rambling a bunch of nonsense. Calzaghe spending years fighting guys who weren't top quality opposition is definitely where the criticism needs to be aimed. His fights in recent years have changed things somewhat but I agree with you that he coud prove himself even more. For him to become an all-time great like you say who do you think he'd have to beat? Dawson?

Its because his style is horrible and he fights cans and old men, and then claims to be the p4p best ever, thats whats comical.

Its because his style is horrible and he fights cans and old men, and then claims to be the p4p best ever, thats whats comical.

Aren't you the guy who thought Jones was winning until the cut? :icon_chee

thats the problem with americans though mate, they think that if its not an american fighter, or at least someone big in america he beat, then they must be terrible.
look at his wins on the domestic scene, a lot of them are very good, how can you think beating eubank and an in form robin reid are nothing????

Oh ya, the same monster Robin Reid that lost to Malingnia (sp?) and Branco. The same Robin Reid that never, ever left the comforts of the UK.

And Eubank right before he retired and took a few horrible losses at the end of his career (I forget who and I'm too lazy to go to boxrec).

It never ceases to fail that some Brit comes on and tries to defend Calzippy, but truthfully, it's indefensible. Calzaghe, to me, represents everything that is wrong with boxing. An unbelievably talented guy that sits on belts and never fights anyone, and then has the audacity to bitch about the sport that made him rich and his allowed his bullshit in the process. It's always the same argument for Calslappy supporters and it NEVER holds water. He is what he is, a probable hall of famer with a very average pedigree.

Chad isn't half the boxer Kessler is? Conversation over.

But see Brez your criticisms are justified, most people are just rambling a bunch of nonsense. Calzaghe spending years fighting guys who weren't top quality opposition is definitely where the criticism needs to be aimed. His fights in recent years have changed things somewhat but I agree with you that he coud prove himself even more. For him to become an all-time great like you say who do you think he'd have to beat? Dawson?

To become an all-time great? Dawson + another 5 quality wins would do the trick. I'm more concerned with quality opposition than retiring undefeated. I have so much more respect for Morales, MAB, Pacquiao, etc than Joe for that reason. While I'm talking about it, fuck Frank Warren too. He's very responsible for all these protected British fighters getting inflated records and napping on the belts.

Chad isn't half the boxer Kessler is? Conversation over.

do you think chad dawson is better than kessler?
seriously?
by the way, asking a question and then saying conversation over is beyond retarded

To become an all-time great? Dawson + another 5 quality wins would do the trick. I'm more concerned with quality opposition than retiring undefeated. I have so much more respect for Morales, MAB, Pacquiao, etc than Joe for that reason. While I'm talking about it, fuck Frank Warren too. He's very responsible for all these protected British fighters getting inflated records and napping on the belts.

there isnt and never has been any real quality opposition for him though, thats the problem
its not his fault he's at his weight in his era.
he's beaten every legitamate threat to him, its a shame there wasnt a HUGE amount of talented fighters at that time, but thats not his fault
thats why i think larry holmes doesnt get the credit he deserves either, but thats a different conversation
by the way, you need to check your facts about robin reid (a mate of mine) to see whether he's only ever fought in britain, you couldnt be more wrong!!!!
and eubank was fighting him for the vacant title (collins retired rather than fight calzaghe) and was coming off two wins, you seem to know very little, but claim to know a lot

Dawson + another 5 is a big ask. I'd say Dawson and another couple possibly, but it of course it depends on who they are. Yeh I'm with you on beating quality opposition > retiring undefeated. The undefeated thing means little to me, and it's become a hinderance for Calzaghe now.

Ok, you've made me do it...

Eubank fought Joe 6 years after he fought Benn the 2nd time. You're telling me he's prime there???? Also, they fought for the vacant WBO SMW... Coming into the fight, he was 4-2 in his last 6, losing twice to Stevie Collins and beating 4 bums all within 5 rounds including two in the first. After Calzaghe, he lost twice to Carl Thompson, once by TKO.

As for your boy Robin Reid, at the point he fought Calslappy he was 28-0 with 3 fights outside of the UK... in Ireland, one in Texas against some 0-5 bum and once in Italy . In his last 18 fights, including Joe, he fought 3 times in Germany and once in the US against Lacy. Still think I'm way off base?

*edit/note: These figures come off boxrec, it's an incomplete history as Reid has a few more fights. Undoubtedly, they're all in the UK because it's the beginning of his career. This even further pushes my argument.

Back