Calvillo's case teaches us, that fighters have no reason to even try to make weight. Here's why:

I mean, according to your suggestion:
If X misses weight and beats Y who made weight, who gets the win bones? Only Y? Or both X and Y?
I would say if Y gets the 20% plus the win bonus fighters may actually think twice since that is a very significant financial loss for them. Or just take the 20% and make them forfeit the win bonus to charity or something.

I would say if Y gets the 20% plus the win bonus fighters may actually think twice since that is a very significant financial loss for them. Or just take the 20% and make them forfeit the win bonus to charity or something.

Yeah, I agree.
But what's in it to the UFC?

UFC will like if in this case, neither X nor Y get win bonus.
This will talk to them. Cutting costs!

Dude, let's not pretend YOU know how it works. Because you don't.

lol you're arguing that a fighter who can barely walk a day before the fight is somehow at an advantage. Theres no IV anymore, bud.

And no, Romero didn't look as bad as Calvillo. Not even close, that's just dishonest.

Yeah, I agree.
But what's in it to the UFC?

UFC will like if in this case, neither X nor Y get win bonus.
This will talk to them. Cutting costs!
I don't really see a problem with that and whats in it for them is giving the appearance of a professional sport that has consequences for not fulfilling your contractual obligation.

lol you're arguing that a fighter who can barely walk a day before the fight is somehow at an advantage. Theres no IV anymore, bud.

And no, Romero didn't look as bad as Calvillo. Not even close, that's just dishonest.

You might be right :

But again, as I mentioned - my point stands:
Neither Calvillo nor Romero should've cut their weight until this condition.
Do like Dern/Kevin Lee, miss weight with style, feel good all the way, get great results!

whats in it for them is giving the appearance of a professional sport that has consequences for not fulfilling your contractual obligation.

They're absolutely not interested.
They get much more money for pushing the entertainment factor. And controversy is always part of it

They're absolutely not interested.
They get much more money for pushing the entertainment factor. And controversy is always part of it
Sad but true I'm afraid. That mentality will always hold the sport back though.

She missed weight 3 times in 6 fights at 115.

Everytime on purpose of course. Not because she's basically a part time fighter without a proper camp.

Yea, she should obviously move up a weight class or even two but I don't believe it's fucking calculated.

Were these all the catchweight bouts? I went through all UFC events in 2018 but I feel like there were more...

Missed weight and won
Burnell
Prazeres
Romero
Perez
Lee
Dern
Till
Taisumov
Johnson
Eubanks
Calvillo

Missed weight and lost
Iaquinta (.2 I know)
Romero
McCann
Marquez
Son
Barao
Pennington

I think the sport, as it is, doesn't move forward for 4 years already....
True. It deserves to have someone that will lead it back into legitimacy though intead of remaining something seen as a niche sport filled with subpar athletes.

Everytime on purpose of course. Not because she's basically a part time fighter without a proper camp.

Yea, she should obviously move up a weight class or even two but I don't believe it's fucking calculated.

Let me clarify something about what I meant earlier:

I don't say that Dern, for example, said in the beginning of her fight camp "OK I won't make weight".
No, she just started cutting, and when she felt that next lb will make her feed drained, smiled and said "OK, I won't cut anymore, take my % of purse".

All is good, feeling great, who cares what the opponent does

The only way the UFC will finally take a stand against weight cutting is if someone dies. They couldn't care less at this point.

When someone dies from weightcutting Dana will just say that they should have went to the UFC PI

1. OK with Calvillo, but not everyone . Pennington missed weight, and just google "Raquel Pennington thefappening" for the yikes
2. Weren't you supposed to put me on ignore?
Why? Why? Why, God oh fucking why?

mtEztJg.gif

1. UFC will not cancel the fight regardless
2. The opponent has no choice but to accept the fight anyway, they're afraid to be lesliesmitted
3. minus 20% fee plus 100% win bonus = 80% bonus netto
4. You're still in the title picture, just ask Romero
5. The less you cut, the stronger you'll be
6 and most important - YOUR HEALTH IS ABOVE ALL
I think the opponent should get 20% of the show and if you lose to the person that missed weight, take another 20% of the win bonus.

Fully agree. Plus there have been stats that show that weight missers win most of the time.

Back