Calvillo's case teaches us, that fighters have no reason to even try to make weight. Here's why:

The only apparent solution would be intervention by the athletic commissions but I'm not holding my breath for that.

And you shouldn't.

- Leslie Smith goes to NLRB with evidence that UFC have crazy contractual abuse on fighters;
- NLRB agrees with Leslie and passes the complaint on, the aim is to change fighters' status to legal employees instead of "independent contractors";
- Dana meets Trump;
- NLRB back off and cancel the request, without citing any particular reason.

Commissions may perform fellatio on Dana White.

Darren Till missed weight by several pounds got a gift in his hometown then got a title shot.

The UFC makes up the rules as they go on.

This infuriated me. Missing weight has been a great business decision in the UFC recently, and it's total bullshit. You should automatically be moved down, say, five spots in your division's rankings, regardless of result.

You should automatically be moved down, say, five spots in your division's rankings, regardless of result.

Hehe that actually could work.
You know why?
Because they don't care about rankings and do matchups without looking at them.

Darren Till missed weight by several pounds got a gift in his hometown then got a title shot.

The UFC makes up the rules as they go on.

Well, TBF there are no rules about who the champion should face.
And there won't be until Ali Act is not applied on MMA. Couture and friends are working on it.

Under Ali act, Woodley definitely wouldn't have faced Till.
Most probably he would've fought Rory MacDonald under UFC/Bellator forced collaboration event.

1. UFC will not cancel the fight regardless
2. The opponent has no choice but to accept the fight anyway, they're afraid to be lesliesmitted
3. minus 20% fee plus 100% win bonus = 80% bonus netto
4. You're still in the title picture, just ask Romero
5. The less you cut, the stronger you'll be
6 and most important - YOUR HEALTH IS ABOVE ALL
However not all fighters that miss weight win their fight.

Yea I'm sure the fighters who make 20k or so per fight (the majority of fighters on the roster) wants to give up 20% of that.

Nobody is missing weight on purpose. It's stupid. And in Calvillo's case, who do you think was in better shape on fight night? I'm pretty sure it wasn't Calvillo.

If you want to end weight cutting, all you have to do is move official weigh-ins so that they are inside a timeframe within which no one can rehydrate.

If you had to fight within, let's say six hours, of an official weigh-in; nobody would be cutting weight. Six hours is not enough time for someone to adequately rehydrate from water-cutting what is typically between 15-20% of their body mass.

Yea I'm sure the fighters who make 20k or so per fight (the majority of fighters on the roster) wants to give up 20% of that.
Re-read the OP once again.

Nobody is missing weight on purpose. It's stupid.
It's not stupid. Itr gives you a big advantage. You are stronger, you have better cardio - you feel better even psychologically.

And in Calvillo's case, who do you think was in better shape on fight night? I'm pretty sure it wasn't Calvillo.

And I'm pretty sure it WAS Calvillo.
She felt awful, she risked her health - but 24 hours passed, she came back into a shape, she definitely was stronger than Botelho.

People have been missing weight for decades. Champions don't miss weight cause they are disciplined.

Also if there is no consequences why is Prazares fighting at ww?

Its happening alot more now. . Dc towell incident. Id call him disciplined yet he failed to make weight no punishment.
Yoel interim title overweight. Still awarded title shot v rob. Overweight again. Till. Overweight still awarded next fight title shot.

Rumble. Missed weight countless time . Ends up light heavyweight. Was punished a bit but still ended up in the top echelon of ufc light heavyweight.

Hendricks. Punished i see no plus side for him.
MacKenzie dern 7 pro fights mossed weight in 3 of those. Considered a good prospect despite missing weight and out weighing her first ufc opponent by 7lbs.

Jess rose clark. First fight in ufc. Overweight vs bec rawlings . Still in ufc won via split rewarded with fight v paige.

How about Walker being 6'6" at 205lb, that's all fine though.

All fine? Of course not.

For the reasons I've mentioned at OP, he also probably shouldn't have made weight.
Now he was OK vs Rountree, but it will get only harder to cut weight for him and he risks his health.

Has he failed to make weight and STILL beat Rountree like he beat him, UFC would've treated him all the same.
MMA community would have screamed, but hey...does UFC care?

Nobody is missing weight on purpose. It's stupid. And in Calvillo's case, who do you think was in better shape on fight night? I'm pretty sure it wasn't Calvillo.
123lb, she really tried.

And I'm pretty sure it WAS Calvillo.

Which makes me believe having this discussion with you isn't worth it, bud.

She felt awful, she risked her health - but 24 hours passed, she came back into a shape,

No fighter steps into the cage at 100% - even the fighters who have no problem making their weight. You think Calvillo who barely could walk during the weigh in recovered properly? Doesn't work that way.

she definitely was stronger than Botelho.

Yea she might actually be stronger than Botelho regardless. Crazy I know.

Which makes me believe having this discussion with you isn't worth it, bud.

No fighter steps into the cage at 100% - even the fighters who have no problem making their weight. You think Calvillo who barely could walk during the weigh in recovered properly? Doesn't work that way.

Yea she might actually be stronger than Botelho regardless. Crazy I know.

Dude, let's not pretend YOU know how it works. Because you don't.
You know who DOES know? Justin Buchholz. He got a huge shitstorm for not removing the walking corpse of his fighter from the fight, and yet she came looking great and fought great.
Just like Romero, that looked as crappy as Calvillo, worked great 5 rounds against Whittaker, actually SHINING in later rounds.
Do you think he felt bad?

Anyway, you're missing here a huge point here that I make.
NEITHER OF THEM had to come to these conditions. They couldv'e missed BLATANTLY, like Dern. Or Kevin Lee, who admitted before Barboza fight (I won't cut more because I'll feel bad).
They would've still gotten the same result, or BETTER. With no consequences from UFC side.

Back