Callouts that backfired

Poor DHC......had Sherdog not had a nostalgic love for Asian MMA fighters, he would have never been thrust in to the frying pan before he was ready. It was laughable, sad and sick that people were calling him the next McGregor - poor guy is one loss away from heading over to Rizin. Peeps gotta stop hyping these Asian fighters so much and getting them destroyed when they are not at that next level.

Well to be fair, it was Choi that called out Cub. Choi was winning the first round but yeah he needs more experience and needs to diversify his game a bit.

The mistake was taking on Jeremy Stephens next but he won the first round of that fight too. He's still got potential but he needs something new in the gym I think.

Is it just me, or does a call out imply some sort of disrespect? I think it's a little different from asking for an opponent to fight you.
I don't think it does. You can do it respectfully like KenFlo did with BJ, by mutual agreement like Randy and Machida or really cocky like...
BountifulDimCalf-max-1mb.gif

(chicken never stepped up tho LOL) :D

Jones called out Bjorn Leskar and then got busted by USADA... does that count?

Brendan Schaub tried to get a win over big nog, as at the time he called out crop cop the fight before that.

But even past his prime big nog was able to knockout Schaub in epic fashion
GIFs are very welcome in this thread.

EEucafXjev-W3mfyj3I_geYtzifBbMtSka4mo1bPz_I.gif

Texeira vs Glover is the first that comes to mind.
Others include Conor calling out Floyd and Chael calling out Anderson Silva.
You mean Glover vs Rumble.

Jonathan Goulet called out Mike Swick. He basically had no business getting that fight at the time but they gave it to him anyways and he proceeded to get knocked out in a few seconds in typical Goulet fashion.
aaaaaaaaand gif:

mike-swick_jonathan-goulet.gif

Nick Diaz calling out Diego Sanchez

Frank Trigg semi-calling out GSP (Trigg said GSP was a b-level fighter, while he and Matt Hughes are the only a-level fighters in the WW division)

Tim Sylvia calling out Fedor

Sonnen calling out Anderson Silva

Last edited:
Lewis called out Mitrione and got KTFO in 40 seconds.

Nate Diaz calling out Diego Sanchez

Frank Trigg semi-calling out GSP (Trigg said GSP was a b-level fighter, while he and Matt Hughes are the only a-level fighters in the WW division)

Tim Sylvia calling out Fedor

Sonnen calling out Anderson Silva
LOL Tim Sylvia calling out Fedor must be up there as one of the WORST backfires in MMA history! :D

funnygif.gif

Schaub calling out the faded legend Big Nog

POS ufc blocked it

Well to be fair, it was Choi that called out Cub. Choi was winning the first round but yeah he needs more experience and needs to diversify his game a bit.

The mistake was taking on Jeremy Stephens next but he won the first round of that fight too. He's still got potential but he needs something new in the gym I think.
Sure, 'he's got potential' but the hellacious beatings he is taking are taking years off his life and preventing him from his potential. The Cub fight was the type of fight that changes a fighter, takes years off his career, much like Robbie and Rory. Choi is a great fighter, very exciting, but he is/was not ready for the big leagues yet. Just like Horiguchi and Sexyama, Sherdog started insane hyping as soon as an Asian fighter found a few wins and they were catapulted to a level they were not ready for. Sadly for the Gooch, I really felt like he could have been something special in the UFC and not, showing in obscurity cut in Rizin.

This one seriously backfired on WME
tenor.gif
they may have lost their biggest cash cow because of it....... and he f....ng lost.

Back