Callouts that backfired

Hotora86

war in the ring, never outside
Platinum Member
Reaction score
After Eryk Anders took care of Marcus Perez at UFC Fight Night 123 he called out Lyoto Machida - hoping to gain exposure by beating a former UFC champ and well-known MMA veteran. Not only did he lose that fight, he did so in unspectacular and unmemorable fashion. The loss surely set him back in title contention and I don't think he's headlining any cards any time soon.

What other MMA callouts do you remember that completely backfired?

At 1:50 in

Then

original

Black Beast called out Meathead Mitrione... probably not the smartest idea.

Story: Apparently Meathead didn’t liked to be called out as he later ranted, and a 30 second brutal KO didn’t satiate his desire for violence... Meathead literally stood over a slumped Derrick Lewis still wanting to fight.

Moral of the story: leave crazies alone

Last edited:
ufc-206-swanson-v-choi.vresize.1200.630.high.0.jpg

It was an absolute war though and an awesome fight but probably too soon for Choi.

Is it just me, or does a call out imply some sort of disrespect? I think it's a little different from asking for an opponent to fight you.

Is it just me, or does a call out imply some sort of disrespect? I think it's a little different from asking for an opponent to fight you.
Depends on how you do it, but I always see it as a sign of respect because it shows you've gained some notability of worth.

Texeira vs Glover is the first that comes to mind.
Others include Conor calling out Floyd and Chael calling out Anderson Silva.

Jonathan Goulet called out Mike Swick. He basically had no business getting that fight at the time but they gave it to him anyways and he proceeded to get knocked out in a few seconds in typical Goulet fashion.

ufc-206-swanson-v-choi.vresize.1200.630.high.0.jpg

It was an absolute war though and an awesome fight but probably too soon for Choi.
Poor DHC......had Sherdog not had a nostalgic love for Asian MMA fighters, he would have never been thrust in to the frying pan before he was ready. It was laughable, sad and sick that people were calling him the next McGregor - poor guy is one loss away from heading over to Rizin. Peeps gotta stop hyping these Asian fighters so much and getting them destroyed when they are not at that next level.

Ah, how could I forget? The best example! :D I've always liked and respected Randy but this is probably my favorite knock out ever. Randy even lost a tooth.

Shocking that it didn't win "KO of the year".

Last edited:
I don't think he called him out b4 the match was made, but my boy Leban talking about sending Anderson back to Japan...

Poor DHC......had Sherdog not had a nostalgic love for Asian MMA fighters, he would have never been thrust in to the frying pan before he was ready. It was laughable, sad and sick that people were calling him the next McGregor - poor guy is one loss away from heading over to Rizin. Peeps gotta stop hyping these Asian fighters so much and getting them destroyed when they are not at that next level.

What has sherdog got to do with DHC taking that fight?

Brendan Schaub tried to get a win over big nog, as at the time he called out crop cop the fight before that.

But even past his prime big nog was able to knockout Schaub in epic fashion

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back