Calling it now: Jacare will beat Weidman if (when) they meet

Pseudo-intellectualism at work here. Whats your opinion on BJ Penn mastering BJJ in a few years? Or GSP's wrestling, or Jones' striking? Some people are much better learners. Look at the actual skill (which Weidman has displayed enough in his short career) rather than theory

It should also be noted that there are likely crossover skills when you study a genre of interest.

For instance it is usually much easier for an advanced musician to pick up another musical instrument because they understand the general concepts of reading/writing music, notes, and what they want to produce.

It might take someone years to initially master one programming language, but after that it is significantly easier to learn second and third languages (the same applies to languages that have similar bases).

I would imagine it takes an elite athlete in one sport far less time to learn another discipline than your average person because they are already masters of their own body to some extent.

Also the 10,000 theory just states an expected number of hours, but not the amount of years someone might take.

BJ Penn for example (by his own admission), when he first started learning BJJ, it was all he could think about. It was his life. While all evidence suggests he is a very fast learner, it isn't unrealistic to think he treated BJJ like a job and put in 8+ hours a day training and thinking about it (which would net someone close to 10,000 hours in 3 years).

We also know that GSP puts in tons of work into both training and researching. He puts time into the gym and likely rehashes what he's learned, takes notes, studies etc.

If Weidman could hang with Anderson on the feet, I think he should be able to handle Jacare's striking and win. Yes, I know, Anderson wasn't "trying." :rolleyes:

MMA math / styles make fights. Wrestlers can outstrike strikers who have to worry about the takedown and defend against it. I.E. GSP. GSP is not better than Condit or Diaz striking. Weidman is not better than Anderson striking. Silva will most likely make Weidman look like worse of a fluke than Serra. Believe it.

MMA math / styles make fights. Wrestlers can outstrike strikers who have to worry about the takedown and defend against it. I.E. GSP. GSP is not better than Condit or Diaz striking. Weidman is not better than Anderson striking. Silva will most likely make Weidman look like worse of a fluke than Serra. Believe it.

*yawn* Go away troll. Your tears can be shed elsewhere.

Not sold on Jacare challenging Weidman. He's definitely top 5 but Okami is slow and a southpaw so KOing him the way he did wasn't too surprising given Jacare's power and speed. Its still impressive of course but he seemed to really commit and telegraph the few kicks he threw and he was banking on his right hand while standing right in front of Okami. Its hard to question him given how the fight went but I hope he shows a more movement and diversity in his strikes arsenal in his future. I think Bisping can give him problems so I hope he beats Munoz and that fight happens.

He's my favorite contender at MW right now so if Anderson loses I'd love to see him hold the belt. It'd also make him the first Strikeforce and UFC champion wouldn't it?

I hope not I want Weidman to keep that belt, but I do think Jacare would destroy him if they fight.

weidman is on a different level than jacare, everyone forgot how he got annihilated by mousasi

Not sold on Jacare challenging Weidman. He's definitely top 5 but Okami is slow and a southpaw so KOing him the way he did wasn't too surprising given Jacare's power and speed. Its still impressive of course but he seemed to really commit and telegraph the few kicks he threw and he was banking on his right hand while standing right in front of Okami. Its hard to question him given how the fight went but I hope he shows a more movement and diversity in his strikes arsenal in his future. I think Bisping can give him problems so I hope he beats Munoz and that fight happens.

He's my favorite contender at MW right now so if Anderson loses I'd love to see him hold the belt. It'd also make him the first Strikeforce and UFC champion wouldn't it?

Depends if you count Hendo winning the UFC 17 tournament as a championship.

I agree with this thread title 1000%!!!

Jacare all day on the ground! Stand up is improving all the time!

Yes and we all seen what Maia ragdoll people at 170lbs. If Jacare goes down to 170lbs he would be unstoppable. Jacare has the best BJJ in UFC now roger gracie is gone.

Maia and Jacare are not the same person, just because WW works for Maia doesn't mean it will work for Jacare. They have completely different builds, and you're asking a guy who already has some cardio issues to further dehydrate himself and attempt to cut an additional 15lbs for no real reason.

weidman is on a different level than jacare, everyone forgot how he got annihilated by mousasi

1. That fight was 5 years ago.

2. If you think Mousasi "annihilated" Jacare then you haven't seen the fight. Go watch the fight.

1. That fight was 5 years ago.

2. If you think Mousasi "annihilated" Jacare then you haven't seen the fight. Go watch the fight.

Yeah, Jacare didn't get annihilated by Mousasi, he just got knocked out cold.

But, seriously, they need to have a rematch. This fight makes sense now that the titl is tied up for at least a year.

Yeah, Jacare didn't get annihilated by Mousasi, he just got knocked out cold.

But, seriously, they need to have a rematch. This fight makes sense now that the titl is tied up for at least a year.

The upkick was really the only shot that Mousasi was able to land, Jacare was in control up until then, he just made a mistake and got caught.

I'd like to see a rematch too, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense since they are in different weight classes now and Mousasi doesn't seem interested in cutting weight.

lol, Weidman is not going to lose to Jacare. Besides, Jacare has fights with Rockhold and Mousasi he needs to avenge. Especially Rockhold, losing to him was just embarrassing.

Depends if you count Hendo winning the UFC 17 tournament as a championship.
I don't.
The upkick was really the only shot that Mousasi was able to land, Jacare was in control up until then, he just made a mistake and got caught.

I'd like to see a rematch too, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense since they are in different weight classes now and Mousasi doesn't seem interested in cutting weight.

Mousasi doesn't seem interested in anything ever and he's talked about a fight with Vitor and mentioned that at the highest levels its important to be in the right weight class. I think he's trying to work his way into a big fight at either MW and LHW and is keeping his options open. Given Jacare's momentum and current standing at MW and the fact that he beat him five years earlier he might try to get that fight if he can't get a big fight at LHW. That's just my guess.

Mousasi officially announced he's dropping to mw.

Back