Calling for Volk's retirement is stupidity.

I hope he doesn't retire but I understand if he does all I know is he needs to rest and recover and not even think about fighting until next year it was a fun ride volk you have nothing left to prove

He needs to pursue acting.
Not because I don't love seeing him fight but he has the talent to succeed in acting.

combat sports are different, retirement would be the smart move, being 35 and KOd twice in a row, there's only one direction and it comes with damage .. but expect a win 1 lose 1 until the inevitable 4 fight skid

Volk would still run through the rest of the top 10 but would be wise to take a good amount of time off...like a year. If he's still passionate after a break, I wouldn't be opposed to or even doubtful of a final run at the title. Volk is really good and got caught by another really good fighter. Happens.

I think he’s probably done at a championship level. But his losses were to very high quality opponents, not enough to say he’s totally done. Lots of guys lose those fights. Hope he takes some time off and then see where he’s at in a year or so against a top 5-10 guy. If he takes another bad KO then time to hang them up.

He's old for the weight class and has been KO'd in his last 2 fights. He's not getting the title back so other than money there's not much for him to keep fighting for. He should probably take a couple fights to pad his retirement fund and get out before he takes too much brain damage and ends up like Chuck.

Volk should just look for fun legacy fights/big names. Fight Aljo is Aljo beats Kattar. If not guys like Poirier or Charles at 155 if they lose their next fight. Perhaps Cejudo if he doesn't retire.

Volk could rack up 2 or 3 wins & retire if he picks his next fights right.

He just got KOed badly by the best the 2 weightclasses he's in have to offer. It's either he fights rank 6-15s or he keeps fighting the champ/rank #2&3's. Either way none of his options are good as a 35 year old at the Featherweight division.

What does he have to gain? Continuing to fight won’t build his legacy, unless he somehow beats Illia in the rematch or wins the LW belt, It he if he loses to Illia again after some time off it’s probably time to call it a day and get out healthy. If he’s insistent on fighting, I think someone like Aljo if he beats Kattar is a good fight to take

I believe that an adjusted game plan shuts out Ilia convincingly.
Volk's ability is bigger than his loss.

I fully agree that all will depend on recovery.

If he retires, I'm fine with it -- he has nothing left to prove. If he wants to fight again, I'm fine with it, but I don't want to see him enter a camp for another 6 months. The guy needs to recover. Enough is enough. Rest, recover, reevaluate. Then come back for a big fight or two and call it a career.

Bassically, Whatever he chooses is fine as long as it involves time off to recover

Yes, some time off, and then maybe a fight (or two) to get another shot? Volk is 35 and has been getting punched, kicked and tackled for 20 years. That wears on you.

Sherdog seems slow to learn that this isn't baseball, or even the UFC of twenty years ago. It's really hard to have a sustained career, especially at the top. It's hard on your body. The best way to the top is to catch lightning in a bottle, like Topuria did: being all in and getting some luck with timing of matchups.

He's been KO'd twice in 4 months. If he gets an immediate rematch there's a strong possibility it happens again. At 35 that's not a good look. Legacy and health wise retiring might be his best option.

Time off + step down in competition, 2 KO's in a few months.

Gonna go the Aldo, shogun, Anderson route. Which isn’t necessarily bad. You can make a lot of money even if you will probably never be champion again.

Volk obviously thinks he can be champ again though so nothing will stop him from trying, just like aldo

Well it doesn't sound like he's going to retire.

I'm not a big Volk fan, but if I were in his corner I would be alarmed at his attitude post fight. He just wants to immediately run it back, he thinks he saw everything and he just got caught. That's not taking accountability for the loss and looking at areas to improve.. he just thinks he can go fight again tomorrow and the result will be different because he was unlucky.

Same with the Islam fight. He just made excuses and wanted to jump back in there as soon as possible. He's not facing reality, which is he is slowing down and people are landing big shots on him and he isn't taking it well.. infact he's getting KOd now twice in a row.

Just judging by his attitude I don't think it's a good idea to run it back right away. He needs like a complete change and some serious time to reflect and come up with a better game plan if he's going to come back and win his belt back. Even then I think that's a bad idea, maybe just fight a couple big names at LW and call it a career.

But what's the point really? Calling it now isn't a bad idea..

If he retired, it would be smart. That's 3 losses in a row when before, he seemed unstoppable. He can certainly win some more fights but he's never going to have a run like that again. He's in the territory where he can start hurting his legacy.

If history is right Volk has a huge uphill battle ahead of him. Even if he somehow manages to reclaim the belt, Alex won't ever be the same again.

If I was Volk, I'd take the whole year off and face someone else instead of asking for an instant rematch which we all know is probably happening behind the scene

I feel like his arrogance got the better of him, thinking he'd stand the entire time to prove a point rather than use all his tools.

Back