California's slippery slope of land ownership

How about following the rules of your state?

I sincerely doubt there isn't laws against what they did and that the government just seized land because they felt like it.
No I get that different states have different rules, water rights vary from state to state. I just gave Texas as one example. What I see as excessive is the fine a local committee levied on them, for whatever law they broke. No way the 36 acres (with 1 mile of premer beach front) they took from them seems right. That has to be several hundred million dollars worth of real estate with a 500k fine the committee is going to use to make a public park. Sounds completely agenda driven and way too much power for a beach committee to have

Last edited:
There are also way too many details missing from the article, my last sentence sums up my initial thoughts

LOS ANGELES — The California Coastal Commission on Thursday agreed to carve a mile of public beach out of ranch land that has been in private hands for more than a century.

The commission, which oversees coastal development, unanimously approved a deal that calls for the owners to fix damage to land they developed without permission and to transfer 36 acres of coastal property to Santa Barbara County. It will be used to extend a current public park at remote Jalama Beach, 150 miles northwest of Los Angeles.

The area is a rarity on the 21st-century central and southern coast of California — free of urban sprawl, crowds, cookie-cutter developments and freeways.

The settlement is important because “the public has been shut out…for well over a hundred years,” said Susan Jordan, executive director of the California Coastal Protection Network in Santa Barbara.

“You’re getting over a mile of additional coastline (in) one of the richest and most diverse areas in California,” she said.

The land sits between the south end of vast Vandenberg Air Force Base and Point Conception.

Once known as Bixby Ranch and owned by a famous California ranching family, the shoreline is part of what is now the Cojo Jalama Ranches that sprawl over more than 37 square miles, including 11 miles of coastline.

The transfer is part of a settlement negotiated by the Coastal Commission’s enforcement staff to mitigate unpermitted development that included grading land and installing dozens of water wells.

The settlement also includes payment of $500,000 to fund public access and environmental projects.

Reached via a country road off Highway 1, Jalama Beach currently is visited by surfers, fishermen, whale watchers, picnickers and has campsites and a handful of cabins for overnight stays, as well as a small market and grill.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/10/californians-may-gain-access-to-a-mile-of-rural-coast/

Private Property and Government Under the Constitution
Modern Intellectuals Do Not Take Private Property Seriously

The economic concept of private property refers to the rights owners have to the exclusive use and disposal of a physical object. Property is not a table, a chair, or an acre of land. It is the bundle of rights which the owner is entitled to employ those objects. The alternative (collectivist) view is that private property consists merely of a legal deed to an object with the use and disposal of the object subject to the whims and mercies of the state. Under this latter view, the state retains ownership and may at any time regulate or even repossess the property it temporarily cedes to individuals.

The Founding Fathers upheld the economic view of property. They believed that private property ownership, as defined under common law, pre-existed government. The state and federal governments were the mere contractual agents of the people, not sovereign lords over them. All rights, not specifically delegated to the government, remained with the people–including the common-law provisions of private property. Consequently, the constitutional rights regarding free speech, freedom of religion, the right of assembly, and private property rights are all claims that individuals may hold and exercise against the government itself. In brief, private property refers to the rights of owners to use their possessions which are enforceable against all nonowners–even the government.
https://fee.org/articles/private-property-and-government-under-the-constitution/

Not as cut and dry as I would have hoped, I guess they're lucky they only decided to take a mile of beach front....for now
Ever been to Jalama Beach? Pro tip. Don’t go unless you go exclusively for the Jalama burger. The beach sucks. But if you are in the area and really want a burger go into Lompoc and hit up Toms Burgers or Village Burger.

Hard to judge without how the settlement came to be but I think the keyword here is "settlement" meaning the government and owners came to an agreement. Says they developed and damaged land without permission.
"Settlement" here in Cali means your shit was taken by force most of the time. My family lost a lot of land when a new freeway was being built and what we got in return was worth less than 1/100 of what was taken. That' how Cali dems do shit.

No get that different states have different rules, water rights vary from state to state. I just gave Texas as one example. What I see as excessive is the fine a local committee levied on them, for whatever law they broke. No way the 36 acres (with 1 mile of premer beach front) they took from them seems right. That has to be several hundred million dollars worth of real estate with a 500k fine the committee is going to use to make a public park. Sounds completely agenda driven and way too much power for a beach committee to have
The thing is AFAIK the story is scant on details, were just making assumptions on whether this is disproportionate or fair or hasn't gone far enough.

Can you privately own "beach" in California? I always thought that was open to public access.

Those land owners should not have done things on their own private property. Using their property as they saw fit was the wrong thing to do.

If I'm reading this right, the ranch performed a lot of un-permitted work and this is a part of a settlement. I'm not sure I see the slippery slope here.
Conservatards on this board love to hate Cali. It's like their own little leftwing empire of doom. Destined to crumble at any time now. A symbol of everything that is wicked and unholy.

That is how you turn eminent domain into a sign of the apocalypse.

Conservatards on this board love to hate Cali. It's like their own little leftwing empire of doom. Destined to crumble at any time now. A symbol of everything that is wicked and unholy.

That is how you turn eminent domain into a sign of the apocalypse.
if you’re going to try and throw a blanket over a group and criticize them, you might should try and understand what’s being discussed

Edit eminent domain was likely their goal all along, they just found a more creative and profitable way to accomplish it

if you’re going to try and throw a blanket over a group and criticize them, you might should try and understand what’s being discussed
I'm sorry that I haven't put out the same herculean levels of effort involved in posting copy pasta from a rightwing think tank.

I'm sorry that I haven't put out the same herculean levels of effort involved in posting copy pasta from a rightwing think tank.
No you just missed the definition of the of the defining word from the one sentence you tried to write

I think if a piece of private land goes undeveloped (no commercial, agricultural or residential use) for over 30 years, it should be put up for public auction. The owner of the land receives the money from that, but the ownership returns to public hands.

It's called private land for a reason. It's not your call to decide it should be developed.

Btw we currently give tax incentives to people to not develop land.

LOL no.

Have you ever been to rural states? Beautiful forests, mountains, etc all in private hands. Not everything needs to be plowed under and deforested.

It will be combined with an existing beach. So basically it is a park, and will be maintained as such.

The owners have 36 acres, with water front. If I owner, I would have built hotels, golf course. I cant grasp 36 acres, but you get my point. I would have been creative. Such a waste. California coastline and you give it to the cows. You can make a ranch/cowboy themed resort/spa.

They did this all on their own land “without permission”......

My brother is currently “asking for permission” from the city to install a standby generator on the side of his house. The city denied him because he would only have 9’ between it and the property line and they require 10’.

It’s clearly the best place for the generator for everyone that lives around him as far as noise and visual issues but they told him he can apply for a variance

Cost of variance - $3500
Cost of generator - $3000
Tell that boy to just run a regular backup storm generator when the power goes out. His neighbors will be begging the town to let him install a quiet unit.

The owners have 36 acres, with water front. If I owner, I would have built hotels, golf course. I cant grasp 36 acres, but you get my point. I would have been creative. Such a waste. California coastline and you give it to the cows. You can make a ranch/cowboy themed resort/spa.
I think the article said they own 37 square miles, with 11 miles of beach front

Back