California's Fight For Single-Payer Healthcare Fails

I'm sure when this program inevitably fails, just like the Vermont program, Romney care, Obama care, The democrats will all line up and collectively point the finger at Trump, GOP, capitalism, 1%. Never blame yourself when you can finger the boogeyman instead.

California Democrats wrestle with proposal to replace private health insurance with ‘single-payer’ system

singlepayerhealthcare.jpg

Supporters of single-payer health care in California march to the Capitol in late April.

SACRAMENTO — A sweeping proposal to replace private medical insurance in California with a single, government-run health care system has suddenly taken on sharp political edges for Democrats, threatening party unity even as it promises to mobilize voters on the left.

Supporters say “single-payer” proposals like Senate Bill 562, which the state Senate could vote on this week, are becoming a hard-and-fast litmus test for Democrats in California, and perhaps nationally — despite the long odds of one state going it alone with a top-to-bottom health care overhaul.

“From here on out, single-payer — and in particular 562 — is going to be for Democrats what abortion is for Republicans,” said Don Nielsen, a lobbyist for the powerful California Nurses Association, the bill’s lead sponsor.

Pent-up frustration over the Democrats’ inability or unwillingness to create such a system — nationally or statewide — exploded last weekend at the California Democratic Convention. Throngs of supporters of Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and other activists organized by the nurses’ union disrupted speeches and threatened to “primary” incumbent Democrats who don’t get on board.

The uprising delivered a clear message for California’s Democratic politicians: SB 562 is not just a conversation starter hastily drafted under the specter of an Affordable Care Act repeal; it must be passed and signed into law. Now.

Then, two days later, came the numbers: California would have to collect roughly $200 billion in private funding to run the $400 billion program, most likely through a payroll tax that Californians would pay instead of premiums, co-pays and deductibles, according to a long-awaited Senate committee report. The $200 billion is more than the state’s entire $124 billion general fund budget, which pays for everything from K-12 education to social services.

The reality check was challenged by the proposal’s champions, who note that health care spending is already high. They argue that a universal health care system in California would save money by eliminating the profits, advertising and overhead of the private health insurance market in the same way as another single-payer system, Medicare. But the sheer scale of the numbers underscored the magnitude and complexity of the proposed overhaul.

SB 562, by Sens. Ricardo Lara, D-Bell Gardens, who is running for state insurance commissioner, and Toni Atkins, D-San Diego, would create a single, statewide insurance plan for everyone — including undocumented residents, seniors on Medicare and people who now get their health coverage through work — without co-pays or deductibles. But the measure does not lay out a plan for paying for it.

If Senate leaders call for a vote on the bill this week by Friday’s deadline, Democrats have a choice: Do they support a proposal with which they may agree in concept, but which would have profound — yet still unspecified — implications for the state? Or do they vote against it and risk being painted as a “corporate Democrat” in a primary challenge?

Some compare the pressure coming from the party’s progressive faction to one on the other side of the aisle.

“The left wing of the Democratic Party has become the doppelganger of the tea party movement,” said Jack Pitney, a professor of politics at Claremont McKenna College. “It provides a lot of ideological energy, but the energy is also combustible.”

The single-payer issue presents an opportunity and a challenge for the Democratic Party as it tries to regain control of Congress in 2018, said Thad Kousser, a political science professor at UC San Diego.

“It could definitely help you mobilize people in a midterm who otherwise don’t show up,” he said, “but if the backers of this use it to mobilize people in a primary to knock out centrist Democrats who have the best shot in the general, then it hurts the party.”

While the switch to a single-payer system would almost certainly require a hefty payroll tax, the bill itself contains no tax provisions. And a change made Thursday — making the universal health care plan contingent on the funding to pay for it — means that it’s possible the bill could be signed into law without ever changing a thing. That’s because Democrats would have to later pass the taxes with a two-thirds vote — a huge hurdle.

Gov. Jerry Brown — who terms out next year and has fashioned himself as a fiscal moderate — has been openly skeptical, publicly questioning how California would pay for its own system, especially given the uncertainty over health care coming out of Washington. Few expect he would sign the bill into law if it reaches his desk.

But supporters say they are making their case to the governor and that they have vowed to keep single-payer at the top of the agenda and to make it a key issue in next year’s elections.

A fuller analysis of the costs, savings and financing options for the proposal — conducted by the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, and commissioned by National Nurses United — will be released early this week, said Michael Lighty, policy director for the California Nurses Association and National Nurses United.

The governor is asking tough questions, Lighty said, “and we are in the position to answer them in a rigorous way.”

Los Angeles County Supervisor Sheila Kuehl, a former state lawmaker whose multiple single-payer proposals passed the Legislature — only to be vetoed by then-Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger — said she sat down with Brown last month after a meeting they both attended to explain how the new law would work.

“He said to me, ‘Hey, I think you could tell me about single-payer,'” Kuehl recalled.

Her primer: “The government already pays billions of dollars, and so do employers, and so do workers. And that all adds up to paying for single-payer,” she said. “But I don’t know if he’s sold on it.”

Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom — arguably the front-runner in the race to succeed Brown and who is now working on his own universal health care plan — could be far more receptive, if elected. When the candidate stopped by a nurses’ rally Saturday night at the Sacramento Convention Center, Executive Director RoseAnn DeMoro put him on the spot, asking where he stood on SB 562.

“I guess I could say ‘I’m with you’? Does that work?” Newsom quipped before taking the stage to cheers.

The party’s anti-establishment faction did not show the same love for Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon, interrupting his speech at the convention with chants — prompting an intervention from outgoing state party Chairman John Burton. Rendon had earlier expressed caution about the proposal in an interview, saying he supported single-payer “philosophically” but questioned the timing and the funding of the Senate bill.

Kousser, the UC San Diego political scientist, said it’s striking that even liberal lawmakers are being targeted by the left.

“California politics,” he said, “is starting to feel like Berkeley politics — a competition for purity rather than progressive pragmatism.”

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/...te-health-insurance-with-single-payer-system/

Last edited:
This is kind of expected. While I am pro-healthcare, look at the budgets of most any country with true, comprehensive socialized medicine and you'll see that that budget is *huge*. Call it free all you want, but socialized medicine is a massive expense and people need to realize that they will be paying out the ear for it. Some things are worth paying for in my opinion, though...

It didn't the last time we did this in 1986.

First secure the border and solve the over stay problem the we can talk about what to do with the ones here and who gets to stay.

Arent border crossing way, way down? like 93%? sounds like that " problem" is solved.

This is kind of expected. While I am pro-healthcare, look at the budgets of most any country with true, comprehensive socialized medicine and you'll see that that budget is *huge*. Call it free all you want, but socialized medicine is a massive expense and people need to realize that they will be paying out the ear for it. Some things are worth paying for in my opinion, though...

Its a massive expense, but far less than in the USA.

You do realize that America spends more public funds in healthcare that countries with UHC right?

America healthcare problem is uncontrolled costs.

This is what should have happened to begin with. It's absurd they tried this on a national level to begin with.

Arent border crossing way, way down? like 93%? sounds like that " problem" is solved.

Temporary, just like last time then it picks up soon after the amnesty with new people looking for the same deal, and over and over again.

Realy secure the border so this is not a repeat process again.

How the fuck are they going to pay for this? How are they going to keep people from other states from coming here and using the free medical services?

They shouldn't move to your state. You have 14% of the "filth" and you pay a lot of money for their emergency medical care.

But of course, since you're hostile toward "filth," that must mean via tribal appeal or whatever kind of magic, that you're somehow still right. Or maybe you're filthy. That could be.

200w.gif

Who's gonna pay for that?

Texas better get ready cause more Californians are moving to their state soon.

Ummmmmmm...........I think you will find the opposite. I am not sure why people would move out of a state that plans to offer universal healthcare into one that does not. Where the money moves, now that's another question.

I would not mind seeing a state try to tackle a socialized model, but compared to other states, California has very low healthcare costs, maybe the 3rd lowest in the nation or something.

Second- The way our system is set up now, an absurdly large number of people are forced to visit the ER for non urgent care. Upwards of 30% of all ER visits are for non-urgent care. Every time that happens, the cost of that care is multiple orders of magnitude more expensive than it needs to be.

Something I think I should know but don't is whether ER visits are actually more expensive in terms of resources used or just in terms of dollars, which is ultimately irrelevant. Definitely seems inefficient in terms of providing care (and having non-emergency ER visits hurts the quality of emergency care), but do ER visits require more labor and equipment use?

More broadly, the same question could be applied to our whole system. Are we actually using more goods and services to provide care than other countries or are we just paying more? A couple of possible areas where policy or institutional structures are allowing for suboptimal wealth distribution are an artificially constrained supply of doctors and more "middle men" (though insurer profits are low on average).

This some type of move to drive the middle class out of California?

By the way, the updated thread title turns out to be less accurate than the original.

The correct description would be "Single-Payer Healthcare For All CA Residents, Legal and Illegal".

The bill, SB 562, would establish a publicly run healthcare plan that would cover everyone living in California, including those without legal immigration status.

I'd laugh but we do this here and it's awful. The money isn't even the biggest issue, it's the lack of infrastructure.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/ess...hcare-plan-advances-1496361965-htmlstory.html

A proposal to adopt a single-payer healthcare system for California took an initial step forward Thursday when the state Senate approved a bare-bones bill that lacks a method for paying the $400-billion cost of the plan.

The proposal was made by legislators led by Sen. Ricardo Lara (D-Bell Gardens) at the same time President Trump and Republican members of Congress are working to repeal and replace the federal Affordable Care Act.

“Despite the incredible progress California has made, millions still do not have access to health insurance and millions more cannot afford the high deductibles and co-pays, and they often forgo care,” Lara said during a floor debate on the bill.

The bill, which now goes to the state Assembly for consideration, will have to be further developed, Lara conceded, adding he hopes to reach a consensus on a way to pay for it.

Texas better get ready for another wave of Californians to move to their state, because is on pace for suicide

By the way, the updated thread title turns out to be less accurate than the original.

The correct description would be "Single-Payer Healthcare For All CA Residents, Legal and Illegal".

{<doc}
who actually thinks this is going to help out the average american taxpayer

http://www.latimes.com/politics/ess...hcare-plan-advances-1496361965-htmlstory.html

A proposal to adopt a single-payer healthcare system for California took an initial step forward Thursday when the state Senate approved a bare-bones bill that lacks a method for paying the $400-billion cost of the plan.

The proposal was made by legislators led by Sen. Ricardo Lara (D-Bell Gardens) at the same time President Trump and Republican members of Congress are working to repeal and replace the federal Affordable Care Act.

“Despite the incredible progress California has made, millions still do not have access to health insurance and millions more cannot afford the high deductibles and co-pays, and they often forgo care,” Lara said during a floor debate on the bill.

The bill, which now goes to the state Assembly for consideration, will have to be further developed, Lara conceded, adding he hopes to reach a consensus on a way to pay for it.

Texas better get ready for another wave of Californians to move to their state, because is on pace for suicide

I'm in agreement with Ben Heuso: gutless Senators are passing the plate over to the State Assembly:

Sen. Ben Hueso, D-Chula Vista, said he could not support the proposal because it lacked so much detail that if it passed, the Senate would be “kicking the can down the road” to the Assembly, where, he predicted, it would die.

“The people of our state deserve a more substantive discussion,” he said. “I don’t know what I’m voting on.”

Fellow Democrat Sen. Richard Pan, a pediatrician from Sacramento, also withheld his support, saying he wasn’t comfortable voting for the bill in its current form. And Sen. Steve Glazer, a moderate Democratic from Orinda, called it “premature.” He argued that the best course was to hold off on the vote, “finish the policy work” and put the proposal on the ballot in 2018.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/01/california-senate-passes-single-payer-health-care-plan/

Fuck I don't want to have to move

California is already broke as fuck

This is just another case of people voting themselves more money and none of our politicians care about the consequences, just promising everything to get reelected

I could probably run on the platform of "free mansions and spaceships for everyone!" and get elected

if California, which ranks as the sixth largest economy in the world, is broke as fuck - what does that make the rest of US ?

where exactly would you move in US that wouldnt be broke then?

Back