Elections California Election 2018: Gavin Newsom elected Governor, Dianne Feinstein wins 5th Senate term

She’s 84 years old and been in the senate since 1992. If she couldn’t learn the lesson from 2016 then the party shouldn’t endorse her.
She should have retired, but I think she's trying to rig the system by winning re-election and then retiring early in her term to allow her to have a say in her replacement as Gov Newsom would get to name them but IIRC her and Gavin get along really well. Her replacement would serve until a special election could be held the next time there is a statewide election.

Cali really should have a Latinx senator.

He also wants to decriminalized identify theft too protect illegal immigrants that use fake ID or stolen SSN. He admits his own family has used fake identity are here illegally.

"LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A Los Angeles lawmaker leading the fight to make California a so-called “sanctuary state” has suggested half of his family would be deported for using falsified Social Security cards and other fake identification.

California Senate Leader Kevin de Leon made the claims during testimony before the Senate’s Public Safety Committee for SB54, a bill introduced by De Leon that would create a statewide sanctuary for immigrants living in the country illegally."

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017...y-eligible-for-deportation-under-trump-order/

I don't know what's more depressing, the list of toolbags running for Senate or the toolbags running for CA Governor:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-california-governor-list-2018-htmlstory.html

I'm gonna say one of the liberal-minded candidates with widely-publicized extramarital affairs probably gonna win.

Wow, she's not Communist enough for California.
Dude she is a neocon corporate whore. Let's not pretend she is anything of liberal, whatever that word means anymore.

She's more in line with Lindsay Graham and Grassley

<GinJuice>

If the democratic party hopes to remain solvent - and take back the House, Senate and Oval Office - every corporate shilling neo-liberal needs to be put on notice. Pass the 21st century New Deal litmus test or hit the fucking road.
That will take a "Tea Party-esque" movement in the party

The upper levels have to be burned out first

Its hard to move away from the thrill of being high level boss. She probably has nothing outside her job

People that old who are still working tend to never want to stop. We have a guy here mid 70's. Works so much. He even got a part time job at walmart after this job and he gets paid very very well.

Just recently he had a heart attack. He had surgery and basically told to stay at home and not do shit for 3 months. After 1 month he's started coming up here on weekends when no one is in the office. To do what? I have no idea. My coworker caught him here when he came in to do some work we had scheduled over the weekend.

This is horrible from both sides. I think the sleazy use car salesman looking Newsom will win.

San Francisco Values for All!

Poor Delaine Eastin, this school teacher is without a doubt the least sleezy of the pack, but her platform focus on useless things like Education for our Children, instead of important "NorCal Values" like, say, protecting criminals from the law, or $400 Billion Single-Payer Healthcare without any funding source, so no one in California is going to give a shit about her.

Last edited:
Newsom settles in as center of his rivals' attention in first major debate of California governor's race
By PHIL WILLON SEEMA MEHTA | JAN 13, 2018​

EWMXIODFXZGZFIQURG5LLHBGCY.jpg

Former state schools chief Delaine Eastin, left, and Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom listen as former L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa speaks during a gubernatorial debate Saturday at USC.

A raucous, catcalling audience and volley of sharp political attacks enlivened the first major debate in California's 2018 governor's race Saturday, with front-runner Gavin Newsom taking the brunt of the blows from the candidates on stage.

Most of Newsom's rivals tried at the event to chip away his dominant lead in the polls and money race as the contest, which has been sleepy for the last year, grows more visible and confrontational. The face-off took place at the Empowerment Congress Summit, an annual gathering held at USC.

Newsom, the lieutenant governor and former mayor of San Francisco, kept a steely smile throughout most of the morning debate. He largely stayed out of the fray and on message, even after he was accused of being inconsistent and unrealistic on single-payer healthcare, and too cozy with teachers unions.

The sharpest exchange came from rival Democrat and former Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, who ridiculed Newsom for supporting a state-sponsored universal healthcare system last year without identifying a way to pay for it. The proposal was shelved in the Legislature because of a cost estimated to be as high as $400 billion.

"Anyone who's telling you that we should do it without a plan is selling you snake oil," Villaraigosa said.

State Treasurer John Chiang, who like Villaraigosa said he supports the concept of single-payer healthcare but said it was financially out of reach, accused Newsom of changing his position on the issue depending on the audience he was in front of.

Newsom responded by saying that bold change is needed because the current, ineffective healthcare system is driving California into bankruptcy, and that the state needs a governor who is not afraid to act. It was one of the only times Newsom shot back at Villaraigosa.

"Antonio just mentioned that he's on Medicare. Isn't that interesting. A single-payer plan in this country … that brings down costs," said Newsom, who dominates the fundraising race with more than $15 million raised to date, in part because he entered the contest three years ago — far before any of the other candidates.

The debate also grew increasingly chippy between the two Republicans on stage, Huntington Beach Assemblyman Travis Allen and Rancho Santa Fe businessman John Cox, with the biggest clash over which one of the two has played a bigger role in GOP-led efforts to repeal a newly approved gas tax.

The barbed exchanges between the candidates was often interrupted by applause, loud groans and cascades of boos from the at-capacity crowd inside USC's Bovard Auditorium. The event was hosted by the Empowerment Congress, a nonprofit civil rights organization in Los Angeles.

With six candidates on stage and only 90 minutes to carve out their political positions, the debate served as a display of each candidate's style, demeanor and political reflexes rather than a showing of their depth of knowledge on the issues facing California.

The moderators, KABC-TV news anchor Marc Brown and KPCC-FM public radio senior political reporter Mary Plummer, tried without success to quiet down the energized audience. They also admonished the candidates for interrupting one another and going over their time.

The only candidate to avoid conflict was Democrat Delaine Eastin, a former state schools chief, who received a warm response when she expressed strong support for universal preschool in California.

Eastin drew loud applause when expressing her support for immigrants.

"My father was born in Kentucky. Nobody loved California more than he did," Eastin said. "He used to say, 'Californians are people who are from somewhere else and came to their senses.' "

Education was another flashpoint, with several candidates quickly turning to attack Newsom for his record on the issue.

After Cox blasted Newsom's endorsement by the California Teachers Assn. as an example of special-interest money controlling politicians, Newsom responded that he was proud of the endorsement.

"I'm committed to public education. I'm committed to increasing funding in our public school system," Newsom said, pointing to his track record on education while he was mayor of San Francisco.

"San Francisco was the top-performing urban school district in the state of California. We were hardly perfect; we had stubborn achievement gap issues," he said, adding that the city invested in arts education, placed wellness centers in schools and created college savings accounts for every kindergarten student.

Villaraigosa and Chiang both objected, pointing to uneven performance among different groups of students.

"I don't think we can gloss over the fact that San Francisco County is the worst county for African American students in this state," Villaraigosa said. "You can't just say we have a little bit of an achievement gap. We actually have a real achievement gap, and if this state is going to be a golden state and it's going to do what we should do to grow together, we've got to invest in every one of us."

Chiang added that Latino and Pacific Islander students also faced a greater performance disparity in San Francisco than in other areas.

"We're talking about a very select group that may have high achievement that accounts for San Francisco, but when you're talking about the future of the state of California, they're being left behind," he said.

As expected, Democrats and Republicans divided along party lines on many of the other issues they were quizzed about, splitting over the new gas tax, climate change and President Trump's immigration policies.

The Democrats ripped into Trump for asking participants in an Oval Office meeting Thursday why the United States should accept immigrants from "shithole countries" in Africa, Central America and the Caribbean.

Cox sidestepped Trump's slur, dismissing the controversy as distraction from the real issues facing California. Allen used it as an opportunity to voice his support for Trump's immigration crackdown, including the president's push to build a massive border wall. He was roundly booed by the audience.

Cox, who also said he supports the border wall, caught an earful when he tried to explain why he thinks legal immigrants are crucial to California's financial well-being.

"We also need a wealth of people who can contribute to the American dream, who can pick the fruits and vegetables that make California No. 1" in agriculture, Cox said to loud groans from the crowd.

He used his next opportunity to say he recognized immigrants contributed to all aspects of society.

The biggest clash between the two Republicans was a snippy back-and-forth over the effort to repeal the gas tax.

Newsom has led all recent polls and has a vast advantage in campaign money raised, both of which make him the favorite to finish first in the June 5 primary.

The race is likely to boil down to a battle for second place — and in California, that's good enough. Under the state's top-two primary rules, the two candidates who receive the most votes in the primary win a ticket to the November general election, regardless of their party affiliation.

According to a November USC Dornsife/Los Angeles Times poll, Newsom led the pack with 31% of California's registered voters, followed by Villaraigosa with 21%.

Among the other Democrats, Chiang came in with 11% and Eastin registered at 4%. Allen led among the major Republicans with 15% and Cox was favored by 11%.
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-california-governor-debate-20180113-story.html

I truly rejoice at Gavin Newsom being called out for his misogyny. After his recent attack on democracy and San Fransico's waterfront there are many reasons why he is not fit to be governor. I also love watching the liberal elite get called out for their hypocrisy.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article205313919.html

California gubernatorial candidate Gavin Newsom's past sexual misconduct disqualifies him from holding higher office, rival Democrat Amanda Renteria said Thursday, and he should resign from his position as lieutenant governor.

"If he was in the Legislature right now, he'd be called out, and like what we've seen, being forced out," Renteria said in an interview with The Sacramento Bee. "We've got to be sending the message that the more power you have, the more responsibility you have to protect others."

As mayor of San Francisco more than a decade ago, Newsom had an affair with one of his City Hall aides, who was also married to his campaign manager at the time. Newsom has repeatedly apologized for the transgression, and in a Facebook post last month, his former appointments secretary, Ruby Rippey Gibney, said she was "doubtful" it was workplace sexual harassment.

"Yes, I was a subordinate, but I was also a free-thinking, 33-(year)-old adult married woman & mother," she wrote. "(I also happened to have an unfortunate inclinations towards drinking-to-excess & self-destruction.)"

“I can’t blame anyone for my part in this ugly episode," Rippey Gibney added.

But Renteria told The Bee that "a boss having sex with his employees is an unacceptable situation."

"No one should be beyond that accountability," she said. "The bar needs to be higher. And in fact, the bar is lower here."

She also criticized Newsom, who was then 38, for during the same period dating a 19-year-old model who was photographed drinking wine at an event where Newsom also made an appearance. Newsom said he never provided her with alcohol.

"This kind of brazen and self-serving political stunt doesn't even deserve a response," Nathan Click, a spokesman for Newsom's campaign, said in a text message.

Asked last month about the affair in the context of the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment, Newsom said, "I acknowledged it. I apologized for it. I learned an enormous amount from it."

Renteria, a former Hillary Clinton campaign official, shocked political observers last month when she jumped into the gubernatorial race against four fellow Democratic candidates and more than three years after Newsom launched his campaign. Allies of former Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa charged that she may be trying to draw Latino voters away from him to help Newsom.

Renteria said Thursday that Newsom's continued political ascent sends a dangerous message to sexual harassment victims that they will be the one to suffer consequences if they come forward, while their boss gets promoted. She called on Newsom to immediately "step down from the role you shouldn't have to begin with," though she stopped short of asking him to drop out of the governor's race.

"If he doesn't have the public trust to be lieutenant governor, obviously I think he's obviously disqualified to hold the highest position of power in the state of California," she said.

Republicans running for California governor already slammed Newsom and Villaraigosa, whose 20-year marriage also ended amid revelations of an affair with a TV reporter while he was mayor, for their "serious marital infidelities" at a debate last month. In October, a Los Angeles street artist hung door signs mocking Newsom's behavior throughout the neighborhood where actress Reese Witherspoon was holding a fundraiser for him.

Where's the "liberal elite" hypocrisy in this?

This is not an issue among liberals

This is a GOP position which they constantly do not uphold

Left eating itself. Is normal.

California gubernatorial front-runner addresses past scandal
By CARLA MARINUCCI | 02/05/2018

SAN FRANCISCO — Gavin Newsom, the front-runner in California’s governor’s race, said Monday that he “learned an enormous amount” from his past admission of sexual transgressions while mayor of San Francisco more than a decade ago, saying, “I applaud women for coming forward” as part of the #MeToo movement.

Newsom, considered a rising star in the Democratic Party, was questioned about his past scandal at a forum sponsored by POLITICO and the University of San Francisco’s McCarthy Center for Public Service. He spoke in the greatest detail yet about bombshell revelations that erupted when he was mayor and nearly derailed his career.

California's lieutenant governor became the subject of national headlines in February 2007 when it was revealed he had a brief affair with a subordinate, Ruby Rippey-Tourk, who was also the wife of his chief campaign adviser. At the time, Newsom was separated from his first wife, Kimberly Guilfoyle, now a Fox News host.

Rippey-Tourk worked as Newsom’s appointment secretary. Her husband, Alex Tourk, resigned from Newsom’s campaign after the revelation.

“I acknowledged it. I apologized for it. I learned an enormous amount from it,’’ Newsom said Monday. “We were very open and honest about it. ... And I am, every day, trying to be a champion and a model” for not only girls, but young boys as the society tries to “get to the roots causes.''

The #MeToo movement represents "a profound opportunity to address deeper issues,'' he said, adding: "It’s not a political movement, it’s a cultural movement.”

“I applaud women from coming forward," he said, referencing the effort known as #WeSaidEnough in Sacramento — in which hundreds of women have come forward to express solidarity with women who have reported sexual harassment in the state Capitol. Newsom said he also gave credit to “the Legislature and the [Democratic Party] Women’s Caucus for stepping up on whistleblower legislation — and supporting the efforts for independent investigations."

Newsom said, "of course" when asked if as governor he would sign legislation — approved unanimously by the California State Assembly on Monday — to protect and provide more services to whistleblowers in the state Capitol who report harassment issues.

Asked if there were any other incidents related to sexual transgressions since those headlines which could emerge in the race and disqualify him, Newsom said firmly, “Absolutely not.”

But Newsom sidestepped a question about whether some Democrats are correct in suggesting that any sexual transgression — even those committed years ago and out of office, in the case of former Minnesota Sen. Al Franken — should be a disqualifier for public office. He declined to comment on Franken’s resignation, saying, “Good people can disagree on that."

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/05/gavin-newsom-california-scandal-metoo-393053

anyone posing for a picture like this should be barred from public office
920x1240.jpg

His wife WAS hot, why go out to eat if you got steak at home?!

Back