Cali to home owners, let's put the homeless in your backyard...

Well, nobody wants to force anybody to do this, and a financial incentive is being offered, so I don't know what your problem is. Homeless people are more often victims of violence than they are violent themselves, if you're thinking there goes the neighborhood....I think it's a nice thing for people to do, but again I stress, people would have a choice.
It would tank property values. My dad does commercial Real-estate and I asked him, he said it would be a disaster for values.

Sorry your plan to increase profit margins by trading labor for a blanket in the corner of your tool shed didn't pan out for you. But it's good to see the entrepreneurial spirit is still alive in America.
How do you get tool shed from the word properties? As if owning more then one is somehow unfathomable? Seems like an honest trade to me. You get a home to stay at and in return you do work as rent payment. Win Win for both.

huh? thats what the story in the OP says. Little homes is your backyards for the homeless. You signing up for your homeless?

Treating them with dignity is fine. Being asked to care for and support them is another.

A small home for a single individual or a family is not a "homeless camp".

Stop being so overdramatic.

And nobody is being forced to do anything - you act as if it's a mandate. As if you have this huge problem with a voluntary effort of those who may wish to help out what could be a disabled vet, or someone who is simply down on their luck.

A small home for a single individual or a family is not a "homeless camp".

Stop being so overdramatic.

And nobody is being forced to do anything - you act as if it's a mandate. As if you have this huge problem with a voluntary effort of those who may wish to help out what could be a disabled vet, or someone who is simply down on their luck.
I was unaware there was some quota to meet before calling it a camp. What is it then? A sub home?

Dirty Mike & the Boys gonna use your lawn as an F shack.

Then pick yourself up by your bootstraps and move.
I don't live there, so it wont affect me. Edit. Also, what do boot straps have to do with this? Are you implying people do not have the right to worry about their property values?

The homeless problem in california is pretty mind blowing. I take it for granted since I’ve lived here my whole life and worked downtown for 3 years, but I can only imagine what people think when they travel here. I wish there was an obvious solution but there really isn’t.
sure there is, decrease the military and police/prison budget by about 90%... They waste that much anyway, and then we will have plenty extra for the homeless.

Last edited:
i'm confused...

so the city will pay for the construction of these tiny dwellings? but the homeowner get to keep them? And the homeowners have to rent them to low-income people, but they get to keep 30% of the tenant's income as rent, and the city covers the rest with vouchers? for how long? for how much? some people have no income so 30% of that is still zero.

am i missing something? actually sounds like possibly a good deal for a homeowner if they build a dwelling and only have to rent it out for a few years and they still get money from the tenant even though the city paid for the construction

once someone establishes residency, it is extremely hard to get them out even if they don't hold up their end of the bargain. This will be great for squatters.

Well, nobody wants to force anybody to do this, and a financial incentive is being offered, so I don't know what your problem is. Homeless people are more often victims of violence than they are violent themselves, if you're thinking there goes the neighborhood....I think it's a nice thing for people to do, but again I stress, people would have a choice.

Amazing how now you're not about forcing people to do something....

A good Christian or Muslim would open their home to the homeless.

I mostly agree, but it takes a lot of work and depends on the situation. Before kids we had a lot of homeless and semi-homeless people over for lunch and dinner at least on a weekly basis, and usually had one and more rarely two people staying with us in a spare room. We were robbed twice by people we invited in, but never had any kind of violent incident.

Once we had kids, we backed off quite a bit, though we did have a homeless woman stay with us from Thanksgiving until the beginning of February this winter.

Frankly, having a little house in my backyard where people could stay if their shit hits the fan would be much more comfortable for me than letting a lady with a felonious assault conviction sleep in the room next to my toddlers. I can think of several ways this plan might not work, but it seems like something I'd be willing to try before undercutting.

I mostly agree, but it takes a lot of work and depends on the situation. Before kids we had a lot of homeless and semi-homeless people over for lunch and dinner at least on a weekly basis, and usually had one and more rarely two people staying with us in a spare room. We were robbed twice by people we invited in, but never had any kind of violent incident.

Once we had kids, we backed off quite a bit, though we did have a homeless woman stay with us from Thanksgiving until the beginning of February this winter.

Frankly, having a little house in my backyard where people could stay if their shit hits the fan would be much more comfortable for me than letting a lady with a felonious assault conviction sleep in the room next to my toddlers. I can think of several ways this plan might not work, but it seems like something I'd be willing to try before undercutting.
Good for you for helping people in need. If more people were like that the world would be a better place

I grew up splitting time between a trailer park and an Indian reservation - both were destitute and full of riff raff. Somehow this doesn't color my judgement of all people I meet.

As to the parks you go to - it sounds like a bad area of town, maybe you should try another, and while I won't deny there is a certain percentage of any population, homeless or otherwise, that are malcontents, I'm not buying your statement that all, or even most, of the homeless population are aggressive and violent individuals.

To be honest, while I don't doubt that you may have seen some homeless drug addicts, it seems weird to me that they were mad dogging you, and that all the playgrounds have been taken over by this violent hoard of homeless people. Sounds a little melodramatic to me.

All the parks are ruined by homeless. It isn't just the bad parts of town. It sucks. And they aren't all aggressive, but they leave trash and knives and needles. They need to fucking be gone.

Then pick yourself up by your bootstraps and move.
You, good sir, seem like good inviting gentleman, sir!
I am having been down on my luck, having just now to give oral suck job in order to use internet device of kind man on subway... I write you now as fast as possible - may zi come to live in your housing, or, even better, your bedroom or broom closets?
thabkyou kind sir

The homeless problem in california is pretty mind blowing. I take it for granted since I’ve lived here my whole life and worked downtown for 3 years, but I can only imagine what people think when they travel here. I wish there was an obvious solution but there really isn’t.
oh it's pretty obvious.

giphy.gif

Back