Cal Professor who went on Barbara Bush 'racist' rant may not be saved by tenure, could lose job

It also shows an erosion of "tenure" as a concept. Like, if you can get fired for saying something controversial about a powerful person, what's the point of having it? I agree with your other post--they should issue a statement condemning her comments or something if they feel strongly about it.

As much as I think the comment was in bad taste, the only real reason people are more upset then usual is because she recently passed away. This wouldn't get a minute of attention if she had said it a year ago. I think there is a level of class to understanding the brief timing after a death and possibly at minimum just staying silent about your views for awhile but that should be optional, not a requirement. She didn't call for murder or anything like that. She just shit on a public figure who happened to just pass away.

Like you said, if this is something that could breach tenure, almost anything can which means tenure doesn't truly exist.

Seemed a nice old lady , reminded me alot of my grandmother

Hope the bitch gets fired

It's an example of one, right? Can you at least grant that? Sheesh.
Sure, that was sort of what I said when I first quoted you. I didn't single out pizzagate specifically, I guess.

As much as I think the comment was in bad taste, the only real reason people are more upset then usual is because she recently passed away.
IMO, that makes it worse.

She used the former First lady's death as a platform to spew shit about her. Her intention was to offend people.

IMO, that makes it worse.

She used the former First lady's death as a platform to spew shit about her. Her intention was to offend people.

Yes. Most of twitter is exactly that. She may have not only ignored the timing but possibly tried to capitalize on it. With that all said, I still stand by everything I mentioned.

Yes. Most of twitter is exactly that. She may have not only ignored the timing but possibly tried to capitalize on it. With that all said, I still stand by everything I mentioned.
Thats fine, but she should expect consequence and I for one, hope there are some. I don't believe Twitter should just be a pass for people acting like assholes, especially if this person represents a place like a college.

Thats fine, but she should expect consequence and I for one, hope there are some. I don't believe Twitter should just be a pass for people acting like assholes, especially if this person represents a place like a college.

What's your view on tenure in general though?

I also made a comment the university easily could distant themselves without firing the professor by issuing a statement that their views don't align. There are a lot of routes to handle this and the only reason they seem interested now is because of the national attention it got and they added to it with the possibility of the firing.

So I watched this clip...

How the hell did she become a professor?

Her arguments, positions and articulation were all pretty terrible .

I've seen more profound arguments in the YouTube comment section

This would be a reflection on the university not vetting well when handing out a tenure position but that leaves the university with a dilemma:
-Violate a tenured position but get rid of someone they possibly shouldn't have given this to in the first place.
-Keep her on and do other measures to be clear the university had disagreements with her views but respects the idea of tenure.
In both these scenarios, the university has to go back and review their policies and procedures of how professors get to tenure. Mistakes like that have a long lasting effect either way (first scenario the university gains a reputation of not actually upholding tenure, second scenario the university will have to wait years and like decades to fully have the affects of their new vetting system in place because of old vetting professors still being around).

PC culture strikes again.
Anti-intellectualism might be the strongest pillar of right-wing political correctness. This idiotic woman gives them a great excuse to attack the political speech of professors.

I think I need to restate my point.

Free speech is not the only thing that governs her code of conduct as a teacher. There is a much more stringent standard that applies overtop that, and that is what I believe will ultimately decide this issue. I am speculating in part.
That's true but is this speech she is uttering in her capacity as a professor? It is on Twitter after all. I can't say either way, not a lawyer, but the point is there are free speech concerns here given her employer is the state.

So I watched this clip...

How the hell did she become a professor?

Her arguments, positions and articulation were all pretty terrible .

I've seen more profound arguments in the YouTube comment section

Her bad arguments aside, she's inciting violence here, you can't have a teacher that openly calls for citizens to be the recipient of granade attacks and for their home to be burned down. That's a step above being rude to Barbara Bush.

Jarrar is vile, but I don't see her losing her job unless something worse comes out.

Lol, to be a conservative you need an education , proper hygiene, dont dye your hair.

When you become a liberal you give most of that up. No more showing. No more deodorant.

There was also a Recent study about how different Democrats and Republicans smell.

The bottom line was Democrats were not big on deodorant.
At which of your favorite middle schools was this study conducted?

Ugh this woman is so gross. I don't support her getting fired for her tweeting that crap but man, seeing shit like this and I wonder how she's employed as a professor in the first place and what kind of garbage is she spewing to students.

The rules have changed with social media. Agree or disagree?
Vague and irrelevant to this specific case. Be specific.
Companies now include social media regulations within company guidelines. Agree or disagre?
Are you citing Fresno's policy? You might want to review that, first.

Private companies have the right to dictate a few boundaries to their employees, but this wasn't a work-related social media account, and nothing she said harms her business; controversial disagreement is inherent to academia.

Back