Idonotbelieveit

winning
@Gold
Reaction score
Which?

In amateur wrestling

I know randy has did both Cain I think just freestyle

No Cain was an couple time all-american in folkstyle at Arizona State

While Velazquez is a Very good wrestler, he was a NJCCA National Champion, and a two time Division I All American for Arizona State University (Placing 4th and 5th), I would have to say Randy is more accomplished. Couture was a three time All American for Oklahoma State University ( He was a 2 time runner up) (interesting fact...the guy he lost to in the finals in 1992 was none other than Mark Kerr, another accomplished MMA fighter.), Couture was also a 5 time Greco Roman National Champion and metaled five times in the Pan American Championships (winning gold in 1991)

What I'm saying is what I have read I'd like my American friends to educate me

But what I've seen randy is top level Olympic level

Randy imo, he is the clear winner

What I'm saying is what I have read I'd like my American friends to educate me

But what I've seen randy is top level Olympic level

It is very, very hard to become a World or Olympic Champion, in countries like Russia, The United States, Iran, and other Former Soviet break away countries it is extremely hard just to make the National team. Many of these weight divisions are stacked with talent, for example if for whatever reason Jordan Boroughs was not able to compete in a World or Olympic Championship Kyle Dake, and David Taylor would not only do fine, they could very well Medal. Randy may have not made it to the Olympics but in his prime he was certainly a world class wrestler.

It is very, very hard to become a World or Olympic Champion, in countries like Russia, The United States, Iran, and other Former Soviet break away countries it is extremely hard just to make the National team. Many of these weight divisions are stacked with talent, for example if for whatever reason Jordan Boroughs was not able to compete in a World or Olympic Championship Kyle Dake, and David Taylor would not only do fine, they could very well Medal. Randy may have not made it to the Olympics but in his prime he was certainly a world class wrestler.

Yeah, people don't realize the depth of talent in some countries. In Judo for instance, the Olympics (while the most prestigious) is not the hardest tournament to win because only one person from each country can compete. Tournaments like the World Masters and some of the Grand Prix events are arguably tougher because they pull people based on world ranking regardless of country. So there might be 3 Japanese guys in the top 10 who fight in those but only one can be in the Olympics or World Championships.

Yeah, people don't realize the depth of talent in some countries. In Judo for instance, the Olympics (while the most prestigious) is not the hardest tournament to win because only one person from each country can compete. Tournaments like the World Masters and some of the Grand Prix events are arguably tougher because they pull people based on world ranking regardless of country. So there might be 3 Japanese guys in the top 10 who fight in those but only one can be in the Olympics or World Championships.

Excellent post Uchi Mata! Very true! In the 70's up into 1991 when the Soviet Union fell, the toughest tournament in the world for Wrestling was the Tiblisi Tournament, which was considered much harder than the World Championships or the Olympics. The reason being, was because, there was so much depth in the Soviet Union that on any given day any of the top 10 guys could have beaten each other, and the one who made it to the Olympics or World Championships was the one who got lucky that day. At the Tiblisi tournament you would have to get through all 10 of those guys. Although the World Championships and the Olympics were more prestigious, Tiblisi was considered much harder to win.

Excellent post Uchi Mata! Very true! In the 70's up into 1991 when the Soviet Union fell, the toughest tournament in the world for Wrestling was the Tiblisi Tournament, which was considered much harder than the World Championships or the Olympics. The reason being, was because, there was so much depth in the Soviet Union that on any given day any of the top 10 guys could have beaten each other, and the one who made it to the Olympics or World Championships was the one who got lucky that day. At the Tiblisi tournament you would have to get through all 10 of those guys. Although the World Championships and the Olympics were more prestigious, Tiblisi was considered much harder to win.
Could you name any wrestlers who won that tournament?

Could you name any wrestlers who won that tournament?

Dave Schultz and Mark Schultz won it, Melvin Douglas, and Kenny Monday won it. Belaglazov, and Jordanov won it. Arsen Fadziev won it a number of times.

Last edited:

What do you think is the hardest wrestling tournament these days? The Olympics or Worlds, or something else like the Yarygin?

What do you think is the hardest wrestling tournament these days? The Olympics or Worlds, or something else like the Yarygin?

I think the Yarygin is the closest thing to Tiblisi, because each country can have more than one representative from their weight class. That is probably the toughest tournament today. Some individual countries such as the Russian Nationals, and the Iranian Nationals may be harder than the World and Olympic championships. Although it is Folkstyle, the NCAA championships is very hard to win, for example Daniel Cormier, and Muhammad Lawal both placed 4th in the World but they were never NCAA Champions because Cael Sanderson was in their division. John Smith was a 6 time world Champion but he only won the NCAA once.

I think the Yarygin is the closest thing to Tiblisi, because each country can have more than one representative from their weight class. That is probably the toughest tournament today. Some individual countries such as the Russian Nationals, and the Iranian Nationals may be harder than the World and Olympic championships. Although it is Folkstyle, the NCAA championships is very hard to win, for example Daniel Cormier, and Muhammad Lawal both placed 4th in the World but they were never NCAA Champions because Cael Sanderson was in their division. John Smith was a 6 time world Champion but he only won the NCAA once.
Smith won it twice, and I personally think Russian or Iranian Nationals are the toughest because everyone is on weight and going all out to win. Tournaments like Yarygin while tough often have guys bumping up or working on New things as opposed to all out trying to win it

Smith won it twice, and I personally think Russian or Iranian Nationals are the toughest because everyone is on weight and going all out to win. Tournaments like Yarygin while tough often have guys bumping up or working on New things as opposed to all out trying to win it

You are correct he won it in 1987 and 1988 my mistake, Dave Schultz only won it once. While I agree that you may have guys working on new things in the tournament because the Olympics and the worlds is where they are going to make their money (for those who do not know in other countries National Team athletes are paid.), In my opinion I still think it is the hardest to win. In the Yarygin you have 9 different teams that are all inside the country of Russia, there are no restrictions on how many people from each team can compete in each weight class. Last year Jake Varner and Kyle Snyder were both in the same weight class Varner won silver, Snyder won Bronze and the Dagastani won gold.

You are correct he won it in 1987 and 1988 my mistake, Dave Schultz only won it once. While I agree that you may have guys working on new things in the tournament because the Olympics and the worlds is where they are going to make their money (for those who do not know in other countries National Team athletes are paid.), In my opinion I still think it is the hardest to win. In the Yarygin you have 9 different teams that are all inside the country of Russia, there are no restrictions on how many people from each team can compete in each weight class. Last year Jake Varner and Kyle Snyder were both in the same weight class Varner won silver, Snyder won Bronze and the Dagastani won gold.
I'm aware just my opinion

I respect your opinion and I find you every bit, if not more knowledgeable than myself. It is a pleasure discussing wrestling with you!
Just curious, what is your wrestling background?

Back