Law California Is Now Officially A Sanctuary State For All Illegal Immigrants

Yeah, and that's totally the same as dubbing yourself a "sanctuary". Nice try, Irrational Poster.

All being a sanctuary city means is that local law enforcement isn't going to consider your immigration status when policing and they're not going to turn you over to the Federal government for minor crimes.

All being a sanctuary city means is that local law enforcement isn't going to consider your immigration status when policing and they're not going to turn you over to the Federal government for minor crimes.

Dude, stop and think about this post, combined with your first post for just a second.

I'm torn on this to be honest. I'm absolutely for sanctuary cities but I think states in most cases should have to enforce federal law.

This whole thing stinks of retaliation for the Obama admin suing Arizona last year for essentially the exact opposite thing. Arizona was enforcing the laws TOO much, at least in the Obama administrations opinion.

State laws can be in addition to Federal ones. They cannot be lesser than Federal laws and deliberately choose to turn a blind eye to them

State laws can be in addition to Federal ones. They cannot be lesser than Federal laws and deliberately choose to turn a blind eye to them
Legalized marijuana is an example state law being less than, and flying in the face of federal law.

Legalized marijuana is an example state law being less than, and flying in the face of federal law.
Do you live in a state where it's legal?

I do and I live right near the border with Canada. We routinely will see guys picked up by the DHS and CBP guys for simple possession of like an ounce. It can makes shit extremely confusing.

Do you live in a state where it's legal?

I do and I live right near the border with Canada. We routinely will see guys picked up by the DHS and CBP guys for simple possession of like an ounce. It can makes shit extremely confusing.
It's legal here for medicinal. Not recreational. You in VT?
But I do see your point about federales enforcing their laws.

What's the contradiction?

Technically, all felonies are violations of Federal Law. If his position is that State Law Enforcement agencies can't enforce Federal laws without further, specific compensation from the Federal Government to achomplish that specific task, then there is no need for State and local Law Enforcement agencies to exist outside of things like parking enforcement and literally all of local law enforcement would come from the Federal level.

It is commerce and only in the feds per view if the weed leaves the state.

Immigration starts at the federal because of national borders. They are different things.

Technically, all felonies are violations of Federal Law. If his position is that State Law Enforcement agencies can't enforce Federal laws without further, specific compensation from the Federal Government to achomplish that specific task, then there is no need for State and local Law Enforcement agencies to exist outside of things like parking enforcement and literally all of local law enforcement would come from the Federal level.

Technically, that's not true.

State criminal law and federal criminal law actually very distinct bodies of law. You can conduct a state level felony and be perfectly fine in relation to federal law. And you can conduct a federal felony and not be in violation of any state criminal laws.

State and local law enforcement exist to enforce state and local laws. The FBI and other government agencies exist to enforce federal laws. They have no obligation to enforce the other's laws absent an explicit agreement to do so.

did I miss the part where it said 'minor crimes'? I may have. That's not how I read it

IMO, the Justice Department has chosen its targets well, and will wreck these three targeted laws. It’s one thing to simply not cooperate. It’s another to affirmatively punish and prohibit cooperation ... and another thing entirely to purport to give state actors authority to forcibly inspect federal facilities.

By playing it smart, Sessions has picked up some easy kills, as opposed to setting himself up for potentially epic loss (like trying to indict Oakland’s mayor).

I, for one, eagerly anticipate this showdown between the Neo-Confederacah and the Feds. Sessions looks to be taking a smarter path here than the amateurish Bundy family debacles.

From potentially the next CA governor, who once admitted that half of his family are illegal immigrants who could be deported for using fake/stolen identities:

CA has gone so far off the rails trying to stick it to Trump I'm not surprised.

I hope Brown, Becerra and DeLeon get handed a big loss.

Back