Céad Míle Fáilte: The Irish Folk Music Thread...

<{1-69}>

Not heard this before

James Kelly is a fucking badass and I love that set. Here's Kevin Burke killing it:

I think I may like Kevin's version better. If you don't have his live album you should get it.

Of course, they are both following Michael Coleman:

Whiskey in the jar. Ride on. : i don't know the original artist or if it's old enough to be a folk song

Whiskey in the jar. Ride on. : i don't know the original artist or if it's old enough to be a folk song

Of course it's a folk song, some would say it has its roots in the 17th century, in any case it appears to have emerged sometime around the 1850s-70s.

The Dubliners version is hard to beat -

The bouzouki player in my trio plays a Crump, beautiful instrument

@Cubo de Sangre take a look through this thread for the real deal ;)

I'll leave you with a song:

(let me know your thoughts on some incredible 'pipes' :D)

Not sure if considered in the same genre at all but I always liked the ny irish bands.

Made a thread about it once. Transatlantic Sessions is awesome.

Yeah man I fuckin love irish music. Grew up in bklyn. I'm part irish myself and grew up with a Lotta cultural irish, not plastic paddies. Rockaway peeps. Was in the AoH for a while when young. Was fun. Marched in the parade a few times. Went to a bunch of nyc irish band shows with pals whi were into it way morenthan me, like really followed the bands. Loved it all the same tho. Took a liking to Texas or rebel type country music so I loved that last one. Also really like bluegrass and folk music of all sorts which is why I like transatlantic sessions. Folk or country peeps from America and GB/scotland/Ireland in a cottage jamming with each other.

Yeah man I fuckin love irish music. Grew up in bklyn. I'm part irish myself and grew up with a Lotta cultural irish, not plastic paddies. Rockaway peeps. Was in the AoH for a while when young. Was fun. Marched in the parade a few times. Went to a bunch of nyc irish band shows with pals whi were into it way morenthan me, like really followed the bands. Loved it all the same tho. Took a liking to Texas or rebel type country music so I loved that last one. Also really like bluegrass and folk music of all sorts which is why I like transatlantic sessions. Folk or country peeps from America and GB/scotland/Ireland in a cottage jamming with each other.

Fair play

Yeah there's a lot of links between american folk music and the folk of music of Ireland + Britain (because when they emigrated to america they brought their songs with them obviously). In the Appalachians especially they have found a lot of old folk songs which are variations of Irish/British ones from the 17th/18th century,

Didn't like this too much though, love The Parting Glass but think it fits being stripped back a lot:

Delighted to see The Gloaming have a new album (their third) coming out next month

Here’s a great fushion set.

Don’t get much better than Michael McGoldrick on flute.

@Rimbaud82

Last edited:
Don’t get much better than Michael McGoldrick on flute.
3DaH.gif

Back