Céad Míle Fáilte: The Irish Folk Music Thread...

Great stuff so far. A lot of songs and musicians i have never heard of.
I love this song by The Rankins, who i didn't find out until recently are actually from Canada.

The Fureys

That Fureys one is a classic.

Never heard of the Rankin Family before, interesting that they are from Canda. I am assuming that is Scottish Gaelic though (still welcome here of course).

This song is incredible:

Originally a poem from Robert Dwyer Joyce from the 1860s, it's about a young man who leaves his lover to join the 1798 Rebellion.

This is a nice version of Bean Phaidin, even if it's a bit on the 'quaint' side of things, they have beautiful voices though and it is a song from a womans point of view after all.

Like this version as well:

The lyrics are hilarious actually, it's such a nice tune but one chorus goes:

Go mbristear do chosa, do chosa
May you break your legs, your legs

Go mbristear do chosa, a bhean Pháidín
May you break your legs, Páidín's wife

Go mbristear do chosa, do chosa
May you break your legs, your legs

Go mbristear do chosa 's do chnámha
May you break your legs and your bones

Last edited:
Love this song, posted this in another thread I think:

Sat in that exact spot many times.

@MmaGirl10 is from Dublin I see
hey.gif

That Fureys one is a classic.

Never heard of the Rankin Family before, interesting that they are from Canda. I am assuming that is Scottish Gaelic though (still welcome here of course).
Probably. I tried watching a video about the difference between Scottish Gaelic and the Irish language, but still can't tell the difference when i hear them sung (i obviously don't speak them.) I wanted to ask if you do speak Irish? I've always wanted to learn. There is an Irish cultural center about 50 minutes drive from my house that offers classes. I would like to try them at some point.

Probably. I tried watching a video about the difference between Scottish Gaelic and the Irish language, but still can't tell the difference when i hear them sung (i obviously don't speak them.) I wanted to ask if you do speak Irish? I've always wanted to learn. There is an Irish cultural center about 50 minutes drive from my house that offers classes. I would like to try them at some point.

Nah unfortunately not other than a few words and phrases, I'd love to learn too. There are free resources like liofa.eu but it's hard to commit to it properly.

English singer, but an Irish ballad

This one is so old the lake in question is no longer on the map.

I don't think these are strictly the genre in the OP, they're more celtic-folk metal, but they're good and I don't know where else they would go :D

I don't think these are strictly the genre in the OP, they're more celtic-folk metal, but they're good and I don't know where else they would go :D

He's singing as gaeilge so I'll allow it ;)

About the only one I can think of.

I just came across this, had no idea Rory had a version of it:

No singing but beautiful guitar work.

Bout time I posted more of The Gloaming, the best current Irish folk band and easily one of the best contemporary bands period imo.

All the musicians are virtuoso on their own instruments. Martin Hayes and Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh on the fiddle (though both with very different styles), Dennis Cahill on the guitar, Iarla Ó Lionáird with his voice (normally he sings sean-nós, a style of highly ornate, unaccompanied irish singing) and then Thomas Bartlett on the piano (which adds something you don't often here in traditional Irish music.

They are an Irish trad/folk band, but there is something almost like classical music in their style and it often sounds 'otherwordly'...it's perfect really. They have two albums now, just called 1 and 2 and they are both brilliant.

Last edited:
Back