Buying Winning boxing gears from Koubudo Rakuten

haanui

White Belt
Reaction score
33afj4l.jpg

Despite long time reader of this forum, this is a my first post.
I would like to start this thread with first saying "Thanks to all of you guys who share your experience with other forum members"
I got a tons of information from this forum.
If I have any boxing gear question this is my go to forum to find out answers.

I searched and I don't see many experience with Koubudo Rakuten. (I think i saw one or two). I decide to share my buying experience with 'infamous' Koubudo from Rakuten website.

Read and heard about 'famous' America Ya is the cheapest and best way to purchase the winning gears. However, when I am ready to pull the trigger, they didn't have the color I want in stock. Which is Black 10oz Winning gloves lace up aka MS-300. (Now they do)

For your reference

America Ya's website in Rakuten
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/boxing/

Koubudo's website in Rakuten
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/koubudo/

I didn't want to wait for 10 oz black ti come in stock. Who know how long it is going to take. I've been waiting for this moment long time and lack of patience lead me to buy my winning glove from somewhere else. Which is Koubudo. From my research, Price of Winning gloves in America Ya and Koubudo are very close each other may be one or two dollar difference. However, There are pros and cons from each seller.

America Ya

Pro:
1. Well known seller, good reputation seller.
2. Kind enough to write gift on description section on the EMS label to avoid custom charge
3. Do speak english

Con: 1. Add 10% international handling charge.
2. Takes little bit more time then Koubduo to get reply mail 48 hrs to 72 hrs.

Koubudo
Pro:
1.There are no stupid 10% international handling fee
2. They answered my question within 24 hrs. Send an e mail at night (eastern time). Next morning there is a reply e mail on my inbox.

Con:
1. This is fact from my experience--> Koubudo write detailed description of what we purchased plus whatever amount we paid. According to other forum member because of detailed description of purchase, we do get charged for custom ( This is what I read somewhere on the forum)
2. This is from my experience -->They don't speak english!!!! I believe they are using google translator to read your email and reply. Make sure you use simple sentence to ask or communicate with them.
More complicated sentence you use, you will more likely get complicated rather hard to understand reply mail you will get. Most of time, you can figure it out what they meant. (Don't have to be frustrated) It is understandable with little bit of effort.

Thought about it few sec and I would assumed that either paying extra 10% international handling charge or paying custom fee would be similar. (Honestly, I don't know how much custom will charge. I just assumed that no more than 15%)

May 21, 2014
I placed order of Winning boxing glove Black 10 oz --> JPY 20196
Winning Vantage expansion type (VL-B) --> JPY 1200
Glove Name Processing -->JPY 1
Ask them how to add screen print via e mail. They told me to buy glove name processing which is 1 yen but it will be deducted when they charge you. However, Embroidery they will charge you 4320 yen
Here is the link they sent me
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/koubudo/item/10002429/***
After you choose all the option. (Color, letter, screen print or embroidery), you have to sent them an email.
FYI their term for screen print is Name Processing. When I communicate with Koubudo, Koubudo used the term Name Processing instead of Screen Print. I used the both just in case if there are any confusion.

This is how I wrote on an e mail

Subject: Winning Boxing Glove Name Processing
Order number : Your order number
I bought winning gloves, and name processing,
I want my screen print to be
I want my Winning Glove name processing

Color: White
Letter body : 7. Chinese characters
Processing methods : Print
Left Glove —> Whatever you want to write
Right Glove —> Whatever you want to write

May 29, 2014 Koubudo sent me shipping and tracking Information

May 31, 2014 Delivered.
Total item amount: 21492 yen
Shipping to New York via Japan EMS: 2400 yen
Total payment: 23892 yen = $240.93
b7l24k.jpg

I did not get charged for custom.
I don't have the site address but I read on the government internet web page if you import product from the foreign under 200 dollars you will not get charged from custom.
Here is three possibility I didn't have to pay custom
My total amount was closed to $200
Any of my item is not over $200
Maybe I am lucky. lol

152p3t0.jpg

Didn't want to ask for people to lace my glove every time I need to use. So I bought hickies.
Feel bit loose compare to the lace.
FYI I have relatively small hands and thin forearm.
But gloves doesn't come off or move around though. Just have bit of space between forearm and wrist support section of gloves. When lace up the glove there are no space at all.
Will try regular elastic lace next few days,

Thank you for reading my post :)

Last edited:
I'm looking for Koubudo in Rakuten Global and don't seem to find any of their products regarding to winning boxing gear. Does anybody experience the same?

Sweeet! Thanks for letting us know your experience

Can you just write whatever kanji and they will print for you? Cuz on their page the kanji selection is quite limited.

Sweeet! Thanks for letting us know your experience

Can you just write whatever kanji and they will print for you? Cuz on their page the kanji selection is quite limited.

I am sorry I don't know what kanji is. I figure that is Japanese letter but I have no clue what is available. I just ask them to print my favorite Chinese quote. They confirmed the letter with me via email before they placed order.

I am sorry I don't know what kanji is. I figure that is Japanese letter but I have no clue what is available. I just ask them to print my favorite Chinese quote. They confirmed the letter with me via email before they placed order.

oh no worries, kanji is just the chinese characters. Glad to know you can print something other than what is shown on their site

Isn't kanji actually Japanese characters (some of which happen to be used in Chinese)???

Isn't kanji actually Japanese characters (some of which happen to be used in Chinese)???

kinda opposite

Certain Japanese words/characters borrowed from what was originally Chinese. They usually are the bigger, blockier ones with more strokes, like you see on the gloves above

I read the thread, but can't figure it out. There's no 10% tax like on america-ya but your paid price seems to be about the same as america-ya. Sooooo it isn't that much cheaper than buying an equivalent item from america-ya?

I read the thread, but can't figure it out. There's no 10% tax like on america-ya but your paid price seems to be about the same as america-ya. Sooooo it isn't that much cheaper than buying an equivalent item from america-ya?

Just simple comparison between America Ya and Koubudo

America Ya
Winning 10oz gloves (MS 300)--> $ 196.12 (

Just placed an order for about $600 in gear from Koubudo. Anyone know when I should expect payment information? I ordered early this morning, just want to paypal them and call it a day. Have always dealt with America-Ya in the past so I'm not sure what to expect. Thanks!

Just placed an order for about $600 in gear from Koubudo. Anyone know when I should expect payment information? I ordered early this morning, just want to paypal them and call it a day. Have always dealt with America-Ya in the past so I'm not sure what to expect. Thanks!

I don't know if you'll have the exact same experience, but they sent me my confirm the next day and a request for payment soon thereafter. However, I am pretty sure that they are receiving a bit more traffic than before.

Been about a week and still waiting on my confirm from Steve for some custom boots.

I don't know if you'll have the exact same experience, but they sent me my confirm the next day and a request for payment soon thereafter. However, I am pretty sure that they are receiving a bit more traffic than before.

Been about a week and still waiting on my confirm from Steve for some custom boots.

You called it, just got the email invoice and paid. Didn't want to seem impatient, but wanted to make sure everything was moving forward. All of the gear is non-custom (2 pairs of MS-600B, 1 pair of CM-10 mitts), so I'm hoping it gets processed fairly quickly.

Thanks for the help!

Anyone have any experience getting charged by customs from ordering from koubudo? I wanted to save up and put in a n order of around 2k to save on shipping but this customs aspect changes everything.

Hi 86,

I ordered 3x from Koubudo over the last 1.5 years and was charged full customs fees twice as Koubudo puts the value on the the shipping form.

The third time there was a much lower value noted on the form (I did not request this, don't know why they did it) so the custom fees were also much lower.

Kind rgds,
RG

Just a quick bump with my experience so far:

- I paid for 2 pairs of standard MS-600-B gloves and CM-10 mitts on March 9th.
- With no updates or shipping info, I inquired about my gear on March 17th.
- I was told that the Blue MS-600-B were not in stock, and they would ship at the end of next week (around March 26th).
- I told them the only reason I bought from them and not America-Ya is that the gear was in-stock and I was disappointed.
- Eventually, they agreed to ship my mitts and the other pair of gloves now and send the last pair when they arrive.

Huge bummer as I really need this gear. I likely won't be using them in the future and will continue to use America-Ya. I understand the language barrier, but if you list gear in stock and it's on back order for 3 weeks, you should tell your buyer after they've paid. Just my 2 cents.

Back