Buy American, Hire American

hello freaky,

If we need more teachers then raise their wage;

teachers are paid by the taxpayers, via property taxes. are you proposing raising taxes?

if we need more scientists, then offer free classes.

who pays for the "free" classes? what scientist with an masters degree is supposed to teach for free?

We have so many homeless and unemployed. We're wasting millions on their shelters and other crap when we could've used those same millions to get these folks a skill and job. We're wasting millions at keeping our own men down while throwing millions oversea.

yeah!

why don't we just teach those homeless folks to be coders and scientists?

that would fix everything.

- IGIT

Trump doesn't buy american and he doesn't hire american. What numbnuts buy this be?

Trump doesn't buy american and he doesn't hire american. What numbnuts buy this be?

hi Joe,

its just feel-good talk that won't amount to anything. when i see Walmart empty, then i'll believe it.

- IGIT

Ivanka Trump, leader of a retail brand bearing her own name and adviser to her father, President Donald Trump, won provisional approval of three trademarks from China on the same day she dined with Chinese President Xi Jinping and his wife, The Associated Press reported on Tuesday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ivanka-trump-chinese-trademarks_us_58f618cbe4b0da2ff8633591

same day as his daughter scores big deals with the Chinese he preaches this. You gotta admire Trump...he knows how to use patriotism to make idiots feel good

I'm surprised no thread on this. Trump signs the order, and of course the media is harping on the fact that Trump still uses visa workers.....

Buy American directive seems to be for federal government aimed to boost manufacturing. When american items exist, then buy that instead of foreign stuff.

Hire American directive is about forcing higher pay for H1B's as they are paid very low for what they do.

Victory for America as H1B's are pretty much corporate welfare programs, and while Trump doesnt go after seasonal and farm workers, he's going after big fish.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...can-buy-american-0419-biz-20170418-story.html
If America produces a shit product, like was the case back when the Japanese took over the auto industry, then the consumer deserves something better. They shouldn't be forced to have to support a shoddy company that makes a shoddy product just because it's American. I wish that most US corporations had a sense of honor and integrity that has made Japan and Germany the envy of the world, but the fact is many don't. It will be highest possible profit (for the execs and shareholders) lowest possible quality in many cases, and the only way American consumers can be protected from that is by free trade. Free trade keeps American companies more honest, and I think most Americans really want to support their own anyway even if there is a choice, as long as the product is decent and for a decent price.

I've never understood the constant American desire to "buy american". I buy based on quality, price, etc. not where its from.

Last edited:
Because it does nothing but ask federal agencies to come up with actual rules instead of Trump just making the rules himself....I mean he's the super highly intelligent President that has a plan for fixing everything wrong in this country and Making America Great Again, right? So why does he continuously shift actual policymaking onto others instead of doing it himself?

wait, what?

this is what we want to happen, we absolutely dont want one guy making all the rules and policies.

how the fuck are you gonna turn this into something to complain about. pick your battles ffs.

Last edited:
So the US tax payer will pay more for infrastructure, goods, services etc.

I'm surprised no thread on this. Trump signs the order, and of course the media is harping on the fact that Trump still uses visa workers.....

Buy American directive seems to be for federal government aimed to boost manufacturing. When american items exist, then buy that instead of foreign stuff.

Hire American directive is about forcing higher pay for H1B's as they are paid very low for what they do.

Victory for America as H1B's are pretty much corporate welfare programs, and while Trump doesnt go after seasonal and farm workers, he's going after big fish.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...can-buy-american-0419-biz-20170418-story.html

I have always maintained the position that if you want to tackle illegal immigration in a serious manner you need to go after the American businesses that hire them.

If there is no one willing or able to hire them when they get here they'll just stop coming on their own and we won't need to spend so much on border security.

This however won't solve our dependence on illegals for agriculture and other outdoor labor.

Some industry insiders saying its mostly fluff and we've already had the same song and dance before.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/trump-buy-american-edict-may-230853980.html

Bill Hickey, president of Chicago-based Lapham-Hickey Steel, which has seven steel mills in the Midwest and Northeast, said he has heard talk of "Buy American" for decades, but American or foreign contractors frequently find loopholes to use imported steel.

"Politicians all talk the same, but at the end of the day it just doesn't work," Hickey said, citing waivers to existing provisions.

Charles Bradford of Bradford Research said focusing on "Buy American" for U.S. steel does not take into account that some steel products - including tin plate and semi-finished products - are not made in the United States. So if enforced improperly, it could cause supply problems in a U.S. market in which up to 25 percent of steel was imported in the first quarter of this year.

"The people who have pushed for this don't have a clue and they don't know math," said Bradford.

Cutting off the supply of goods not made in the United States would create fresh problems for U.S. companies, he said.

In the construction industry, there also are concerns over "too strict a definition of what constitutes U.S.-made steel products," said Kenneth Simonson, chief economist of the Associated General Contractors of America.

Simonson cited concerns with steel that might have been melted down from scrap metal that could have come from outside the United States, for example, and tracing its origins before that point.

I have always maintained the position that if you want to tackle illegal immigration in a serious manner you need to go after the American businesses that hire them.

hello Rational Poster,

yarp.

all you'd have to do is to send ICE agents to kitchen of every fancy restaurant in the country, and also bus ICE agents to every fruit farm at harvest time...

*presto*

you could snag tons of illegal immigrants.

of course, then profits would drop...and the cost of eating out and buying vegetables would go up - and no one wants that.

- IGIT

hello Rational Poster,

yarp.

all you'd have to do is to send ICE agents to kitchen of every fancy restaurant in the country, and also bus ICE agents to every fruit farm at harvest time...

*presto*

you could snag tons of illegal immigrants.

of course, then profits would drop...and the cost of eating out and buying vegetables would go up - and no one wants that.

- IGIT

And warehouses, and lumber yards, and contractors, and the landscapers, etc.

I don't think most people against illegal immigration truly understand how dependent our economy has become on these workers from small businesses to fortune 500s.

The reason it's gotten this bad is because we never would admit the truth source of the problem, American employers.

And warehouses, and lumber yards, and contractors, and the landscapers, etc.

I don't think most people against illegal immigration truly understand how dependent our economy has become on these workers from small businesses to fortune 500s.

The reason it's gotten this bad is because we never would admit the truth source of the problem, American employers.

hi again RT,

i agree totally with the bolded.

hell, i may be part of the problem too.

i had some work done on my condo and took 3 bids - two of them were from "whiteshoe" contracting firms, and one was from a guy named Carlos and his cousin that a property owner here in my city hooked me up with.

the bids came in, the two well known contractors came in at 25k and 17k, respectively. Carlos - who may or may not be an American citizen and his cousin who barely speaks english - came in at 6k.

i went with Carlos.

- IGIT

the federal government should buy american

Yeah it makes strategic sense to build up your own industries rather than build up a competitors on the geo-political stage. Especially the more strategically important ones like ship building, high-tech weaponry, etc.

Not to mention that building up your own industry recycles the tax dollars back into the national economy moreso than sending it offshore.

The downside is that it can in some case cost more, and in some circumstances it can make sense to go offshore, but in general over the long run the concept of 'buying local' I think strengthens that local.

Yeah it makes strategic sense to build up your own industries rather than build up a competitors on the geo-political stage. Especially the more strategically important ones like ship building, high-tech weaponry, etc.

Not to mention that building up your own industry recycles the tax dollars back into the national economy moreso than sending it offshore.

The downside is that it can in some case cost more, and in some circumstances it can make sense to go offshore, but in general over the long run the concept of 'buying local' I think strengthens that local.

I agree with this also.

US government should make every attempt to buy American products except for specific instances in which the product or service isn't available domestically or the quality/quantity available just isn't enough for the application.

hiya IDL,

unless there was a government mandate for me to "buy American", i wouldn't do it. i'd just buy the best product at the best price, no matter where it's made.

if everyone is forced to do it, though, i'd have no problem doing the same as long as there we no free riders who continued to enjoy the benefits of goods that are either lower priced or better made, from outside of our borders.

- IGIT

I was under the impression that govt bids already favor American manufacturers.

He doesn't go after seasonal because that would affect his profits. BTW isn't suppose to encourage hiring Americans as opposed to paying foriegners more?

LOL at you conservatives all of a sudden having a problem with the free market, ie., when it's bad for big business.

Buy American. Lulz. Not if you want a good car you don't.

Unless we break down where each individual part comes from, Tesla is an American car company. Of course it's not like the average Joe can afford one of them, anyway, which also seems relevant to the thread.

Back