Buy American, Hire American

chardog

That's President Donald Trump
@Steel
Reaction score
I'm surprised no thread on this. Trump signs the order, and of course the media is harping on the fact that Trump still uses visa workers.....

Buy American directive seems to be for federal government aimed to boost manufacturing. When american items exist, then buy that instead of foreign stuff.

Hire American directive is about forcing higher pay for H1B's as they are paid very low for what they do.

Victory for America as H1B's are pretty much corporate welfare programs, and while Trump doesnt go after seasonal and farm workers, he's going after big fish.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...can-buy-american-0419-biz-20170418-story.html

I just want to check in before reading a bunch of spectacularly uninformed opinions and their inevitable clash with informed ones.

Because it does nothing but ask federal agencies to come up with actual rules instead of Trump just making the rules himself....I mean he's the super highly intelligent President that has a plan for fixing everything wrong in this country and Making America Great Again, right? So why does he continuously shift actual policymaking onto others instead of doing it himself?

Buy American, Hire American
Why though?
Everybody should buy the cheapest product which satisfies his needs. That makes you smart :cool:

I suppose i can break from partisan lockstep and say thos will be a good thing if implemented correctly.

I dont think it will be, but its at least in a good direction.

Buying American is already a thing in government agencies. I didn't read anything. Don't know anything but I thought id add that as someone who works for the department of agriculture.

Not sure what further enforcement still accomplish. Sounds shiny I guess.

That review proposal for the foreign visas, goddamn is this administration full of avarice dipshits.

Does that include his resorts and clothing lines?

"It directs four federal agencies — the departments of State, Labor, Justice and Homeland Security — to crack down on fraud and abuse of work visa programs generally, and it also asks the agencies to propose administrative or legislative reforms to the H-1B program to ensure that visas are awarded to the most highly skilled and highest-paid applicants."

Inb4 they crack down on Trump's Organization.

Also, I like to add that the main concern or the reason in this program is to help fill the gaps of certain skilled workers which US lack. There was a lack of miners and other skill trade, but when that happens, the wage usually increases to help find these people. But with the h1b visa workers, they are hiring foreign workers for cheap. There's already not enough people, but instead of giving people more incentive to learn and work for them, they are undercutting them by hiring cheaper foreign workers.

There are companies that abuse this program for cheap labors but there are also companies that help you find a job in their field. I remember I was in a law program and they had a deal with the DOJ's office in which they would hire the program's graduates along with numerous other scholarships to help you get through school. It was a great program. Now if only we had more of these programs instead of the h1b BS.

If we need more teachers then raise their wage; if we need more scientists, then offer free classes. We have so many homeless and unemployed. We're wasting millions on their shelters and other crap when we could've used those same millions to get these folks a skill and job. We're wasting millions at keeping our own men down while throwing millions oversea.

Glad Trump is doing something about it and MAGA!!!!

Why would anyone buy American made if you can get a superior product from Germany or Japan.

I mean buying a sub par machine will just drive production cost up.
It's not like German machine makers only look for German software for their machines they scout the market and might very well end up with American software.
Because that is a market where the US is leading. Software and new tech.

There are companies that abuse this program for cheap labors but there are also companies that help you find a job in their field. I remember I was in a law program and they had a deal with the DOJ's office in which they would hire the program's graduates along with numerous other scholarships to help you get through school. It was a great program. Now if only we had more of these programs instead of the h1b BS.
trump is planting the seeds of change, and I can see that happening. Hopefully big corps can get more involved with said programs, instead of getting cheap ass labor. It's basically corporate welfare like illegal immigrants.

I guess that IT guy is no longer going to be asian or Indian and probably doesn't know shit .Its another form of affirmative action that discriminates against legal permanent residents

I just want to check in before reading a bunch of spectacularly uninformed opinions and their inevitable clash with informed ones.

I'm sure everyone is impressed.

I am more interested in the follow up. Like most of his Executive orders, it is more for show than actual change. Most of the change has to happen through congress, and the whole build American thing is just asking agencies to look closer at American materials/workers, but does nothing to actually incentivize or discourage one way or the other.

It makes you wonder why this isn't already at least the preference already.

Back