Butthole Surfers

Love that song. I remember reading years ago, the band wanted to have a top 10 single so the could hear Casey Kasem say the band's name on the radio

If "Pepper" reached Number One, was I really going to hear Casey Kasem say the words "Butthole Surfer"?

Against all odds, Yes, "Pepper" did become this huge hit. But Casey wussed out.

When the time came, he announced that "Number One on the Alternative charts is 'Pepper' by The B-H Surfers."
Casey’s corpse would have said it.

the label wouldnt release after the astronaut, 'no singles' so they were forced to rerecord it 'with singles'o_O resulting in this formulaic pos -

the label wouldnt release after the astronaut, 'no singles' so they were forced to rerecord it 'with singles'o_O resulting in this formulaic pos -

Yeah, co-written with Kid Rock, lol

According to Haynes, Kid Rock wanted to use a sample from the Surfers’ Black Sabbath parody “Sweat Loaf.” “We were like, ‘Oh, Kid Rock, ka-ching, sure,'” Haynes says. As a swap, he asked Kid Rock for help with the chorus of their planned single. “He came to my house in his big white limousine with his five-hundred-pound bodyguards. He says, ‘Let’s just write a new song,’ and I’m like, ‘Uh, okay.'”

In record time Kid Rock is singing “I love the girls and the money and the shame of life.” “We were all kind of like, ‘Yeah, way to go, Kid,'” recalls Coffey. “I mean, you can’t really slag him for writing it there on the spot. And how do you tell a guy who’s doing this out of charity that it’s so, so, what’s the word . . . bad?”

Haynes was genuinely charmed yet admits, “It took me a long time to do the verses because it’s hard to embrace a song that says ‘I love the girls and the money and the shame of life.’ It’s tough.”

I remember renting Impact Video, a video magazine hosted by Alex Winter way back in the early 90's. There were segments with Public Enemy and Jane's Addiction, there were some cartoons like Bambi Meets Godzilla. Bill Hicks did a bit. There was a piece on the Survival Research Labs performance art group which I wish I could have seen back in the day. And then there was Texas BBQ, a short film by the Butthole Surfers:

Surfers, Jesus Lizard, and Tad were my bands during the grunge era. Good shit.
I'll see your Tad Doyle and raise you a King Buzzo!

e1c7ac64ef22af5304aa8818c0597f7c.jpg

We didn't know how good we had it!

Speaking of Buzzo, here's the Melvins with BHS bassist Jeff Pinkus covering Graveyard

Love that name/tribute Pinkus Abortion Technician

Cant believe how many collabs, mashups etc these dudes have done and that theyre still wailing!

Back