Butterfly Guard Pass Prevention

bignog23

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey there, looking for some online video/resources to help improve my butterfly guard game. Even just a good description of solid principles (both gi and no gi) to prevent your butterfly from being passed would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I'm not an expert of any kind but to me there's couple of important principles. First don't let people flatten you on your back , that way it's much easier for them to pass, another crucial thing is grip fighting(watch some videos of Marcelo Garcia doing that and you'll see). What I like to do is to stay active in my butterfly and constanly attack(arm drags, guillotines, elevation to leg locks etc), that way you can dictate the pace of the roll instead of fending off their attacks. Hope that helps.

Hey there, looking for some online video/resources to help improve my butterfly guard game. Even just a good description of solid principles (both gi and no gi) to prevent your butterfly from being passed would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Keep good posture. Elbows in, hands out and ready to handfight, legs bent at roughly 90deg or slightly less, head just a little in front of your hips, chin not too low. Knees not too wide, too narrow, or turned past the vertical.

Fight for the inside space. Hands and head both. Don’t let them get double underhooks, don’t let them get their head under your head and push you flat.

Don’t ever let them stand over you without any grips. If you can’t get an underhook or belt or collar grip, shoot a leg through for a grapevine and take half butterfly to prevent the stand up. Don’t ever let them control both your knees. Break those grips as they happen. Constantly attack.

Not just a butterfly principle, but a life rule: If the crown of your forehead is jammed in their nose, you're doing something right.

dont let them grab your pants/legs

Youtube Marcelo Garcia butterfly and I'm sure you'll find something valuable.

Back