Burns pulled from UFC on FOX 28 for allegedly being 31 lbs over contracted weight

they will strecht this until they solve it. Easy, guy weighs in when he is signed and his normal weight is booked. then he has to walk around that (plus/minus something being allowed) during ALL his contractual term. No more cuts, let ppl fight where they should. Cheated? Contract is suspended. Fighters will have no option but to adapt.

In soccer they are adding VAR, which is a point of no turning back. Players will have to play according to it, or they will be suspended for faking fouls/penalty kicks or agresssions.

In the long run, this will also be better for fighters.

It’s funny cause I’m pretty sure I saw an article by mmafighting a couple days ago about how pumped and motivated he was to win this fight lol

Maybe he was working himself up in front of a mirror and a reporter overheard him.

I’m glad they stopped him from trying to cut that weight. MMA needs to make some change. Massive weight cuts like that are extremely unhealthy and unsafe. While all combat sports are guilty of it, MMA with its relatively fewer weight classes has the worst offenders.

Ironically, they took away drip IVs to cut back on people trying to do these dangerous weight cuts but that made rehydrating even more dangerous and pretty much impossible. Many fighters are entering fights dehydrated and that exacerbates the damage they receive in the fight. We are actually seeing a worse product because we are watching people who are often nowhere near 100% fighting.

Time to look at ONE and their weight cutting + weightclass system...

I’m glad they stopped him from trying to cut that weight. MMA needs to make some change. Massive weight cuts like that are extremely unhealthy and unsafe. While all combat sports are guilty of it, MMA with its relatively fewer weight classes has the worst offenders.

Ironically, they took away drip IVs to cut back on people trying to do these dangerous weight cuts but that made rehydrating even more dangerous and pretty much impossible. Many fighters are entering fights dehydrated and that exacerbates the damage they receive in the fight. We are actually seeing a worse product because we are watching people who are often nowhere near 100% fighting.
I’m glad they stopped it too, but doesn’t mean they can stop it at their will

Make it a formal rule, what’s the maximum % and over what time period, they need to regulate this, not just because they feel like it

bullshit that fighters are allowed to be pulled now before they even step on the scales.

SACS and ahem.. USADA are fucking with the sport too much. if a fighter wants to put themselves through that, so be it, its pretty stupid they are actually regulating what % over fight weight fighters can be in the days leading up to a fight.

i was shocked when they introduced this, as well as the new weigh ins which take away the spectacle that the old weigh ins were, much more intense when a fighter steps on the scales infront of thousands of people and is off my 1lb.

fuck this shit.
Or, cutting weight period is dumb as fuck, so nothing to see here.

Damn! I must be old fashioned or something, but that sounds like an ungodly amount of weight to cut for a 155er.

Someone mentioned a 20-25 lbs weight cut being typical. I honestly don’t know if that’s true or not. I’m just saying that on the surface it seems dangerous to cut 31.

I think a lot of MMA fans think that fighters cut down from their "walk around weight" to their foghting weight the days leading up to the fight. They don't. No LW is cutting 30+ pounds on fight week. Burns put himself in a situation where it was going to be extremely dangerous to his health for him to attempt to make the weight.

Call me cray-cray, but I see Burns being the only fighter at 155 that could maybe present a threat to Khabib, just owing to styles and his cream of the crop BJJ. Khabib makes really good black belts, like RDA, look incompetent but Gilbert is a different level black belt.

Does anybody know the true advantages/disadvantages of big weight cutting? I don’t mean health wise. Obviously that’s horrible for your health.

I mean, fighters cut weight to have a 20lb advantage over his opponent, but now everyone cuts weight so the advantage is gone. Now it just means that a lightweight fight is actually 2 170-175lb guys fighting.

But has there ever been any examples of say a 175lb dehydrated fighter fighting a 155lb fully hydrated fighter? Didn’t Frankie not cut when he was LW champ?

they will strecht this until they solve it. Easy, guy weighs in when he is signed and his normal weight is booked. then he has to walk around that (plus/minus something being allowed) during ALL his contractual term. No more cuts, let ppl fight where they should. Cheated? Contract is suspended. Fighters will have no option but to adapt.

That wouldn't work. Walk around weight is not fight shape week for most fighters. There is no danger in shedding weight normally during fight camp.

I did not know that they had this rule in place. seems like a wise decision.

we all know that it is a cynical business. but the commissions have a responsibility to protect the health of the fighters within the parameters of the sport (e.g. fighting isn't healthy but we accept that as long as there are rules, a ref, ringside doctor, etc.).

I am glad that they stepped up.

Does anybody know the true advantages/disadvantages of big weight cutting? I don’t mean health wise. Obviously that’s horrible for your health.

I mean, fighters cut weight to have a 20lb advantage over his opponent, but now everyone cuts weight so the advantage is gone. Now it just means that a lightweight fight is actually 2 170-175lb guys fighting.

But has there ever been any examples of say a 175lb dehydrated fighter fighting a 155lb fully hydrated fighter? Didn’t Frankie not cut when he was LW champ?
Since it's so widespread, weight-cutting has indeed lost most of its original purpose, but it still has a purpose. Fighters used to cut to fight people smaller than them. Now, they cut to fight people of the same size. It's dumb, because the same thing could be accomplished if nobody cut any weight, but it's the typical prisoner's dilemma situation.

Occasionally, some fighters are good at cutting more than others and then still gain an advantage. CSAC does monitor the weight they gain back and has recommended a few fighters move up, even recently https://www.mmamania.com/2017/12/29...ntamweight-due-to-ufc-weight-cutting-concerns

Few fighters cut little weight, afaik. Frankie is one, as you said. Gunnar is another.

Wonderboy cuts, but used to cut very little. Against Woodley in the first fight he was IIRC 176 lbs in cage vs Woodley being around 195, so that's basically what you're looking for.

That wouldn't work. Walk around weight is not fight shape week for most fighters. There is no danger in shedding weight normally during fight camp.
fully agree with you. The issue is the "normally" weight sheddin you mentioned, cause what they do now aint normal. In addition to hurting themselves in the long run, in many fights we see depleted guys who cant perform as they should (yeah they lose, its their problem, but it becomes our problem when the show is meh, UFC also suffers from it). That is why I mentioned a margin should be allowed for the guy to adjust his weight in between his fights.

fully agree with you. The issue is the "normally" weight sheddin you mentioned, cause what they do now aint normal. In addition to hurting themselves in the long run, in many fights we see depleted guys who cant perform as they should (yeah they lose, its their problem, but it becomes our problem when the show is meh, UFC also suffers from it). That is why I mentioned a margin should be allowed for the guy to adjust his weight in between his fights.

What's the margin though? You can lose a massive amount of weight healthily while training for a fight. It's the water weight cut at the end that can be dangerous.

He didn't miss weight by 31bs, he was just poised to attempt a very aggressive cut.

Gabi Garcia actually missed weight by a similar amount.

Yeah but Gabi is fucking hot.

Back