Burning sensation in armC ubital/Carpal tunnel syndrome?

lizliz

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Update 2/27/17

Bumping this back up.

So I've been doing PT and the symptoms have calmed down a bit, but maybe I resumed my training too soon. After realizing I can't lift weights without extreme fatigue/burning in my left arm I went back to my dr. I have a TFCC tear in addition to a pinched nerve in my elbow (cubital tunnel) along with medial epicondylitis all in the same arm. So I finally caved and got a cortisone shot on my follow up (just for the TFCC) and I'm trapped in a hard splint for the next two weeks. It actually hurts more from the darn cortisone shot but maybe in a few days that will change. I've always heard that cortisone shots just numb the pain and that if no healing occurs, surgery is the only real option. So far it seems like this doctor is trying to steer me away from surgery which I guess could be good if this heals.. but if the original injury was in October I feel like that won't happen. I've suspended my BJJ membership with a note from my doctor, but unfortunately karate isn't as kind. I'm scheduled to fight for my 1st dan belt in May and at this rate I'm going to have to go through it one handed (which I know can be done, my Shihan did his with a broken hand).

Anyone else deal with this? I think I may have gotten the injury from sweeps in spider guard or too much repetitive motion from chambering punches. That isn't relevant anymore though to me, healing and getting back into the game is what matters. The therapist who made my splint suggested this will never go away and I should find other 'hobbies.' Sorry but I also teach this stuff.. I can't just go find 'another hobby.'

Going to look for Lion's Mane today since I heard it can help with nerve repair...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two months ago I was diagnosed with cubital and carpal tunnel syndrome. It made it virtually impossible to sleep to the point where I needed to take something. In the two days prior I spent about 5 hrs cumulative between training bjj and sparring. On the striking front, my sparring partner was going 100%, throwing his round house kicks to the body as hard as he could (like, launching himself into me) and I blocked them by stepping in, bladed part of my arm taking the blow. I didn’t feel anything at the time, or after. I then moved on to another sparring partner and went for another hour. The next day I did BJJ. Then I did my regular striking class followed by a sparring class where I held extra large pads (the huge ones that are like shields and your partner just attacks) for about 20 mins straight. After that, I felt super uncomfortable pain in my elbow. Since I can’t pin-point what happened I’ve taken off from bjj (it’s been almost two months now!!) and reduced my striking to every other day using right arm and kicks. Stopped doing push-ups & lifting. I did some physical therapy, acupuncture, and was feeling ok… so this week I went back to striking training every day(not using the left since the joints are still sore) and last night and today the burning/tingling sensation is back. It is as if the entire arm is tense… I can’t get the muscles to relax. I also feel some weakness under my armpit towards the shoulder blade. I have full use of the arm and I don’t think I’ve lost any grip strength but now I’m ready to just stop training altogether until the new year. My boyfriend(also trains) thinks by going to a doctor or PT I am trying to ‘buy my way’ out of an injury. Yes, I’m very frustrated and not sure if another doctor’s opinion will change anything, but the tingling sensation is what makes me nervous, not the pain in my elbow or wrist.

Does this experience sound familiar? How did you address it? Thanks!

Last edited:
I havent got experience with this sort of injury but ive had two injuries this year. Half way through the year i bruised my shin and couldnt train for 3/4 weeks and atm im just comming back from a torn hamstring. the thing is this is combat sports you will get injured and if you're not smart about it you will get injured ofturn. the best advice is take a couple weeks off stick to light exercises like walking. if you come back too soon you will be out for longer or you will get recurring injuries. its your body telling you that the stress is too much. you either need to have more rest or spread your workouts more evenly. i know it sucks i hate missing it too but i promise you, you will heal alot faster not training then pushing through the pain. good luck i wish you a speedy recovery.

Thanks. I took a break but that didn't do much good. After spending a lot of time smashing a bunch of knots in my shoulder with a tennis ball, I managed to get three to relax and it feels so much better. No numbness, no burning.. now I just have a little bit of inflammation but maybe with some massage therapy and more smashing I'll get some more relief. :-D

Don't do karate, dummy.

Last edited:
Don't go do karate In a cast, dummy. Heal up, rest and recover and then go pass the test.

Did I say I was wearing a cast or training with one? Are we in May? The answer is no to both!

What did the therapist suggest would never go away? The TFCC tear or the medial epicondylitis and cupital symptoms? They are definitely a bitch, and can take a long time, but they can get better. Find a good physical therapist.

Whether or not the TFCC tear needs surgery, well that has to be up to your doctor. If you in any way can avoid it then that's the better choice.

While we're all different, cupital syndrome and epicondylitis can be treated with conservative treament with good success (training, rehab, anti inflammatory).

You probably got the TFCC tear by blocking kicks or something simular. Do you hit a lot of hard surfaces with the edge of your hand?

Anyway, good luck with your rehab and training! Be smart about it, it will take a lot of dedication. If you have to put karate on hold for a while, then that's the smart thing to do. At least not use the hand at all untill you're cleared.

What did the therapist suggest would never go away? The TFCC tear or the medial epicondylitis and cupital symptoms? They are definitely a bitch, and can take a long time, but they can get better. Find a good physical therapist.

Whether or not the TFCC tear needs surgery, well that has to be up to your doctor. If you in any way can avoid it then that's the better choice.

While we're all different, cupital syndrome and epicondylitis can be treated with conservative treament with good success (training, rehab, anti inflammatory).

You probably got the TFCC tear by blocking kicks or something simular. Do you hit a lot of hard surfaces with the edge of your hand?

Anyway, good luck with your rehab and training! Be smart about it, it will take a lot of dedication. If you have to put karate on hold for a while, then that's the smart thing to do. At least not use the hand at all untill you're cleared.

Howdy. Sorry for the delayed response.

The TFCC recovered on its own, but now I've got tendonitis and a loss of movement in the area. I'm back in PT for it and already gained some motion back.

Your suspicion is correct - I recall the night before I noticed the arm pain, I was doing hard sparring and blocked several head kicks with that forearm. I punch a brick on occasion but that's the extent of my iron fist training.

I'm feeling pretty good lately aside from the new wrist problem. Most of the arm pain is gone and I'm focusing on developing my upper back more.

Howdy. Sorry for the delayed response.

The TFCC recovered on its own, but now I've got tendonitis and a loss of movement in the area. I'm back in PT for it and already gained some motion back.

Your suspicion is correct - I recall the night before I noticed the arm pain, I was doing hard sparring and blocked several head kicks with that forearm. I punch a brick on occasion but that's the extent of my iron fist training.

I'm feeling pretty good lately aside from the new wrist problem. Most of the arm pain is gone and I'm focusing on developing my upper back more.
Well, at least the TFCC recovered. It's a long road sometimes, and new things pop up. The only thing you can do is be smart with your training.

Listen to your body, work around injuries and seek out professionals as needed.

Good luck with everything.

Back