Bunce on TV: "Chavez can't come back from this."

GoodAssCheese

*Guardi Le Stelle*
Banned
Reaction score
I tend to agree. Julio is finished forever. Nobody is going to pay him a dime after that egg.

eh, a couple of showy wins against cans and mexicans will latch on to him again.

eh, a couple of showy wins against cans and mexicans will latch on to him again.
You think so? The house was whistling, booing, and jeering him. He may still have hometown fans, but I doubt the nation as a whole is giving a shit about him after this shabby audition for Dancing With the Stars.

He won't need another fight after this payday
That's probably it right there. He made weight for the money, then just went in there and leaned on his chin for 12 rounds. Even when Canelo gave him the ropes, he just pitter-pattered and got countered before he could land anything, then backed off.

You think so? The house was whistling, booing, and jeering him. He may still have hometown fans, but I doubt the nation as a whole is giving a shit about him after this shabby audition for Dancing With the Stars.
Oh yeah, his father's name will always score points for him. He'll never be an elite level boxer but he can make a living boxing for a long time to come if he wants to.

Oh yeah, his father's name will always score points for him. He'll never be an elite level boxer but he can make a living boxing for a long time to come if he wants to.
A living, sure. But he murdered his elite paycheck era of his career.

His performance was really disgraceful.

latest

I'm not sure Chavez can get anywhere near the mainstream ever again after that one. Canelo did everything he could to give Chavez a fighting chance, and nothing happened, except Canelo doing bagwork on PPV.

Dont blame him, he only got this fight because of his name

Blame de la hoya
Oscar booked a former world champion with a hard chin and big power. He couldn't have known Chavez would stain the sheets like this. It doesn't do Oscar any favors to have Canelo wipe the cards like that, even if you can't take anything away from Canelo.

Nobody expected Chavez to win. He couldn't lose if he went out there and got in a fistfight with Alvarez and got beat. The only way Julio could fuck this one up is to do exactly what he did: nothing whatsoever.

Oscar booked a former world champion with a hard chin and big power. He couldn't have known Chavez would stain the sheets like this. It doesn't do Oscar any favors to have Canelo wipe the cards like that, even if you can't take anything away from Canelo.
Chavez has always been a quitter and against talent. This is all on goldenboy

Can't see any way he can rebuild to become a mainstream attraction. Obviously he can always keep fighting journeymen and make decent money, but not anything close to what he was once earning. I'm sure that even if he'd never held a job in his whole life he would have been set financially regardless.

Chavez has always been a quitter and against talent. This is all on goldenboy
Chavez/Fonfara was at least exciting while it lasted, and he came back strong at the end against Martinez. Seems like he's just shot now.

Haven't watched this shitfest yet but I'm interested to know if Canelo couldn't stop Chavez who was by all accounts a sitting duck, how is he going to deter GGG who also has a great chin?

Haven't watched this shitfest yet but I'm interested to know if Canelo couldn't stop Chavez who was by all accounts a sitting duck, how is he going to deter GGG who also has a great chin?

Well, he won't "deter" him, he'll simply try to evade him and box.

It's going to be a really great fight, that's for sure. Canelo can only box with power when he plants his feet and has zero boxing skills when on the backfoot. Golovkin is obviously the harder puncher so it's going to be fascinating to see what happens when they stand in front of each other, with Canelo trying to land counter-shots and Golovkin throwing murderous shots.

Well, he won't "deter" him, he'll simply try to evade him and box.

It's going to be a really great fight, that's for sure. Canelo can only box with power when he plants his feet and has zero boxing skills when on the backfoot. Golovkin is obviously the harder puncher so it's going to be fascinating to see what happens when they stand in front of each other, with Canelo trying to land counter-shots and Golovkin throwing murderous shots.

That's the way I see it, Canelos best strategy is going to be to run. Stay away from getting into any exchanges with GGG and try and pepper him with light punches. I think it's going to be quite an interesting fight with GGG chasing Canelo around while Canelo does his best to avoid GGG. Basically Canelo needs to try and emulate Floyd and run as much as he can all fight long whilst still landing enough to score with sharp punches.

He will never return to PPV....but I can see him on the weekly boxing shows touring Mexico for acouple of years if he wanted, the only problem is he is too big to fight "names" with some recgnition like like Margarito/Canelo's brother/Paez jr in locals fights, at this point his brother may fill that role.

He can't. When you don't take any risks during your biggest opportunity, nobody has faith in you or thinks your worth anything. Sport is about competition. He doesn't want to compete.

Back