Bullying

So I patted the dad on his head. I said. I bet that doesn't feel good does it. I'm about 6 inches taller than him. He kind of looked at me. Before he said anything in said. Tell you son how it feels and make sure he doesn't do it to my son again.

hgPtkh8.gif

Kid's are like there parents.

If u r an asshole so is your kid.

If a kid's and asshole so is their parent.

My kid has seen me train all their life.

Our smart kid's who will run the world hang together.

The mean kids stay away because they know they can't get a reaction.

On the flip side, we've become so thin skinned and our kids have inherited it. Life is tough and kids need to learn how to face adversity. We've forgotten the old adage, "Sticks and Stones..." If you lose your cool, you lost.

It's not alright to hit. But if you're hit, it's alright to defend yourself.

My kid is in grade 2, he's just started BJJ and he's really good at it, being able to sweep, pass guard, having good top control. He's able to dominate guys a couple years older than him.

He's a popular kid and he doesn't have bullying issues, but some kids are just ready to hit you no matter what. Even if he was my kid's best friend the day before, some of them will punch you for beating them at dodgeball.

I made it very clear with my son, you never attack anyone, you never kick or punch, but if someone's attacking you, you take him down, go to full mount and control them until an adult comes to take you off. When it happens daddy will be more than happy to defend what you just did.

While bullying is a world wide thing, the places Ive been, the US was the worst, by far.

I lived in 3 different states went to 3 different schools. this was something like 20 years ago..

Never ever in my life encountered such of assholes like I did in florida.

I was not a big kid, but didnt let any idiot try to bully me, sure some fuckers tried to though. Anywyas, theres something about it in the USm and its horrible, I cant imagine having a son having to go through elementary highschool and colleg being bullied, its a horrible thing.

IMO, get your kids into MArts as soon as they can, boxing kick boxing wrestling bjj, some full contact sports. SD is really usefull in those stages of their lifes, later on, not so much, but being respected in school can make your sons life a shit ton better, they spend like 20+ ears at school, they better have a good time there.

Bumping this thread...

My original post has been lost. Somehow bullying still exists years later. Go figure.

Question: does martial arts training reduce bullying?

I would think so. Hopefully the head of your team, or the monsters on your mats daily aren’t bullying the beginners, the elderly, kids, or disabled.
Do we have any more data? Do the kids at your academy have bullying problems? Does self discipline teach compassion for others? Are positive role models still the answer?
My son hasn't complained to me about bullying. He has been doing bjj since he was about 7. He is 11 now. I guess he has self confidence. I went to a school sleep away camp as a chaparone. There were kids that were bullied, not physically more psychologically. The kids that were bullied were usually introverts or had some other issue. I'm not saying that all kids who are bullied have issues but the ones I noticed were.

There was this one boy in particular who was in our cabin. He wasn't well liked by the kids and he did annoying shit. I understood why the other children don't like him. He would say annoying shit and do shit that would make everyone one else suffer and be late. He seemed to enjoy the negative attention or something. I had the feeling that not everything was ok at home. I can't put my finger on it but he didn't behave like the other boys. I actually felt bad for him. I would be frustrated by his antics but at the same time I felt he needed help. Dude is going to have isssues if he doesn't straighten out.

Bullying has been around forever. No amount of talking will ever stop it. Theres only one way to deal with a bully and that is a punch to the face. I was being bullied in school by 3 boys back in 2nd grade in 1978. My dad went to the school but nothing was really done about it. My dad said walk into school the next day and when they come up to you to just go ape shit and start punching them. Needless to say problem was solved.

This country has some things backwards such as offenders have all the rights. Where were the victims rights to not be brutalized in the first place. In this situation violence is the only solution.

That's an interesting article you posted, Bill. The comparison to elephants is a good one since they are very social animals.

However, I think bullying exists for more reasons than just being in a single parent home. When I think back to when I was in school there was bullying and most of us had two parents. I honestly couldn't explain any of it now.

The bullying now is worse I think due to social media. When I was younger I was able to escape school just by going home. Now kids can be bullied online as well.

I fucking hate bullies. If you're an easy target (being small etc) then they'll keep at it. No matter how much you ignore, it gets worse. You have to fight back. And most schools don't give a shit.

I haven’t read the whole thread in detail but in my experience (I’ve either subbed student taught, coached or worked with kids from elementary through hs)the hardest bullying to stop is what the girls do, it’s much more sly, passive aggressive and they are usually more careful to do it places or times teachers can’t see or step in. A lot of times it will be the “sweet” “good” girls who you normally wouldn’t think of at first too. And it’s often much more personal and viscous than what boys do. Boy on boy bullying is “easier” to see and address than the girl bullying. But I’ve noticed teachers are getting better at seeing the girl bullying sooner

One thing that isn’t addressed nearly enough in comparison to the kinds of bullying I talked about above is girls or “small” bullies who mess with the bigger kids, needling and fucking with them until the kid fights back then suddenly the bully is the poor lil small kid or a little girl. But that’s something you can’t figure out if it’s going on till you know the kids better, because it “looks” a certain way

It’s a big issue and it isn’t addressed the right way

There is no conclusive evidence that school wide anti bullying programs are effective.

http://njbullying.org/documents/smith2004.pdf

This is “red ribbon” week at my school. (Anti drug/bullying program) I’ve gone through the motions so many times without any noticeable effect.
My anecdotal evidence leads me to believe that modeling kindness has a positive effect. The fact that I am a large athletic male with a martial arts background helps as well.
I see teachers and staff members bully kids all the time. Maybe if adults didn’t bully kids, kids wouldn’t bully each other?
I’m known as “the nice teacher.” In the back of their minds, though, i think they know I can take them in a fight.

I’m having the time of my life teaching kindergarten. My accomplishments in my classsroom are more valuable to me than anything I have achieved as a jiu Jitsu athlete.

My anecdotal evidence leads me to believe that modeling kindness has a positive effect. The fact that I am a large athletic male with a martial arts background helps as well.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick" is an incredibly underrated maxim. (The less friendly version is, "An armed society is a polite society.")

Back