Bulletproof glass is a form of idignity and must go says Philadelphia councilwoman Cindy Bass

TheFirstEMP

Overdone and dry!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://www.fox29.com/news/controver...usiness-owners-to-take-down-bulletproof-glass
PHILADELPHIA (WTXF) - A controversial bill is currently working its way through city hall designed to regulate 'stop and go' liquor stores. One part of the bill would force business owners to take down bulletproof glass inside their stores. But at what cost to their safety?

A bill moving through city council reads: "No establishment shall erect or maintain a physical barrier."

It's called the 'Stop and Go' bill and is being offered by city councilwoman Cindy Bass.

"Right now, the plexiglass has to come down," she said.

She wants to put some controls on these small stores that she says sell booze, very little food and are the source of trouble in her district.

Liquor stores are the cause of crime and bulletproof glass is insulting to criminals.

It's a stupid bill and I doubt it has much traction. If they want to deal with this problem they should handle them they same they do "Nuisance Bars".

http://www.lcb.pa.gov/Licensing/Topics-of-Interest/Pages/Nuisance-Bar-Program.aspx

The Nuisance Bar Program

The Nuisance Bar Program, first established in 1990, facilitates the PLCB’s refusal of license renewal when a licensee has abused its license privileges through a pattern of violations or conduct that threatens the health and safety of the local community.

The program seeks the input and partnership of local communities, law enforcement partners, government authorities and the General Assembly to help eliminate “problem bars” from communities.

The Board typically objects to the renewal of more than 150 licenses annually, often under its statutory obligation to protect the safety, peace, health and welfare of the commonwealth [47 P.S. § 1-104(a)].

The program has been able to deny licensed authority to the establishments at times when the various police or other government powers have been unable to do so.

Additionally, local authorities including police, district attorneys and judges can play roles in closing a licensed establishment, most often in the interest of public safety.

County Common Pleas Courts have the authority to overturn PLCB decisions not to renew or grant liquor licenses. If a licensee appeals the PLCB’s refusal of a license, the licensing matter is appealed to the Court of Common Pleas in the county where the license applicant is located.

Additionally, should either the PSP BLCE or the license applicant contest the Office of ALJ’s determination of a citation matter, the Office of ALJ’s adjudication can be appealed to the Court of Common Pleas in the county where the license applicant is located.

A county judge’s decision is binding on the PLCB.

I sometimes wonder why our politicians waste their time of trivial issues like this

Passing a law that prevents a business from offering physical protection to their employees seems a little misguided.

Maybe the point is to close down these types of stores in an area that has a lot of crime and loitering? Is there a correlation between these stores actually contributing to the violence in the area? I can't imagine so. I am not sure this is the right way to go about it.
Maybe the glass actually stops gun violence as there is not as much shooting going on. Wouldn't do much good shooting at the clerk and the clerk wouldn't be affective shooting back so I think I'm ok with the bullet proof glass.
I'm not seeing the good in this bill. I normally lean left but I woild not be in favor of this bill tbo.

I don't get it. What is this supposed to accomplish?

The only thing I can think of is that the idea would be to get store owners to sell more wholesome (moral?) items because they wouldn't have the protection of a screen. But that's so stupid it can't be right.

Edit: Maybe they just want to scare liquor store owners off? If so, it's still ridiculous. It's just saying we don't like you so we're going to make it illegal to protect yourself. There's not even the semblance of good rationale behind it.

Well people getting shot and dying on the floor in a pool of their own blood is even less dignified. Gimme a fucking break,how do these dumb shits come up with this stuff to make laws like this.

Hmm... giving would-be robbers some dignity before they blow your head off
IMG_5184-1024x640.jpg

I don't get it. What is this supposed to accomplish?

The only thing I can think of is that the idea would be to get store owners to sell more wholesome (moral?) items because they wouldn't have the protection of a screen. But that's so stupid it can't be right.

Edit: Maybe they just want to scare liquor store owners off? If so, it's still ridiculous. It's just saying we don't like you so we're going to make it illegal to protect yourself. There's not even the semblance of good rationale behind it.

Never, ever underestimate the stupidity of politicians:rolleyes:

I can’t even comprehend the stupid angle

How would anything at all improve by banning protective measures for stores in bad parts of town? All you’re going to do is get them robbed and clerks killed more. If they want sketchy liquors stores gone, there’s a million better ways than saying “well if enough cashiers die the place with have to shut down”

The worst indignity is political and economically neglecting a community for such a long period in which bullet proof glass is actually needed. I wish these cunt politicians would stop treating tiny symptoms and actually go after causes.

There’s a saying the only things politicians never run out of is stupidity and tax payers

That is only if it’s tinted lol

Another saying: "No one who wishes to hold political office should on any account be allowed to do so".;)

Seems like the problem she has is with retarded Philadelphia laws. She's concerned these shops encourage loitering.... because the law forces them to.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/p...n-at-illegal-stop-and-go-stores-20170623.html

The city code requires businesses selling malt liquor or beer to have tables and chairs sufficient to accommodate 30 people and to regularly prepare and sell food. The law also requires that consumption be allowed on premises, though many stop-and-go owners discourage loitering inside or intentionally forgo chairs so large crowds won’t gather.

Other countries and states seem to be able to operate liquor stores or off licences without a problem. She should read up on them before introducing stupid bills which are going to endanger workers.

She should work the register at one of those places for a weekend and see how she feels on Monday.

Back