Bullet proof coffee advocate has a heart attack

forum poster

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Paleo/bulletproof coffee promoter had a heart attack recently.

I'm glad he's OK but I seriously have little patience for these people who go on TV promoting drinking butter for breakfast.
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he had good intentions and was just suckered in to actually believing that cholesterol level's have nothing to do with arterial function and atherosclerosis.

Hopefully it's a lesson learned for him and his followers.

Paleo/bulletproof coffee promoter had a heart attack recently.

I'm glad he's OK but I seriously have little patience for these people who go on TV promoting drinking butter for breakfast.
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he had good intentions and was just suckered in to actually believing that cholesterol level's have nothing to do with arterial function and atherosclerosis.

Hopefully it's a lesson learned for him and his followers.

Dietary cholesterol doesn't raise your LDL cholesterol level.
It's also an essential part of your diet.

Well not significantly for around 75% of the population. Saturated fat, specifically butter, does though. Especially when you when you're drinking a damn cup of the stuff for breakfast.

That's actually not true. What recent research has shown is that ratio of HDL:LDL is not as strong an indicator for risk of cardiovascular disease, but don't in anyway think that the raw sum of HDL+LDL isn't something that will fuck you up.

Well not significantly for around 75% of the population. Saturated fat, specifically butter, does though. Especially when you when you're drinking a damn cup of the stuff for breakfast.

No.

That's actually not true. What recent research has shown is that ratio of HDL:LDL is not as strong an indicator for risk of cardiovascular disease, but don't in anyway think that the raw sum of HDL+LDL isn't something that will fuck you up.

And no.

I've been on the ketogenic diet many times. All I ate were bratwurst, fatty cuts of meat, eggs, butter, and vegetables. My testosterone level shot up by 200 ng/mL and my cholesterol level was optimal (<200).

Now eat a lot of sugar and simple carbs along with the saturated fat and dietary cholesterol, and you've got yourself a problem.

No.

And no.

I've been on the ketogenic diet many times. All I ate were bratwurst, fatty cuts of meat, eggs, butter, and vegetables. My testosterone level shot up by 200 ng/mL and my cholesterol level was optimal (<200).

Now eat a lot of sugar and simple carbs along with the saturated fat and dietary cholesterol, and you've got yourself a problem.
well then that's settled.

No.

And no.

Dozens of controlled clinical trials > your anecdote. Maybe you were losing weight? Maybe you don't personally react to diet?
Saturated fat raising LDL is completely non controversial.

Dozens of controlled clinical trials > your anecdote. Maybe you were losing weight? Maybe you don't personally react to diet?
Saturated fat raising LDL is completely non controversial.

You want studies? Here's your studies:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19641727

The weight and body mass index of the patients decreased significantly (P<0.0001). The level of total cholesterol decreased from week 1 to week 24. HDL cholesterol levels significantly increased, whereas LDL cholesterol levels significantly decreased after treatment. The level of triglycerides decreased significantly following 24 weeks of treatment. The level of blood glucose significantly decreased. The changes in the level of urea and creatinine were not statistically significant.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3826507/

However, the majority of recent studies seem instead to amply demonstrate that the reduction of carbohydrates to levels that induce physiological ketosis (see above ‘What is ketosis?' section) can actually lead to significant benefits in blood lipid profiles.

Basically, what I'm saying is your thread is pointless.

You want studies? Here's your studies:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19641727

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3826507/

Basically, what I'm saying is your thread is pointless.
t
Dude. You just gave me a weight loss study with obese patients with 80% of fats coming from poly and monounsaturates. That tells me nothing of what saturated fat does to weight stable people.. Cholesterol levels tend to decrease when losing weight no matter how bad the diet is.

t
Dude. You just gave me a weight loss study with obese patients with 80% of fats coming from poly and monounsaturates. That tells me nothing of what saturated fat does to weight stable people.. Cholesterol levels tend to decrease when losing weight no matter how bad the diet is.

Dude! Fat people are people too. A high fat, low carb diet will lead to reduction of LDL regardless of weight.

Your thread is pointless. So you're insinuating that the guy in the video had a heart attack because he consumed a lot of butter? How do you know it was the butter that caused it? Do you know the history of his or his family health? Perhaps it could be congenital.

Oh look, a quick search of his name on Google lead me to this article:

www.today.com/amp/health/biggest-loser-bob-harper-opens-today-about-recovery-t109956

He has a family history of heart disease — his mother died of a heart attack.

Well, there you have it.

Now be quiet.

No.

And no.

how much carbs did you consume a day?

He has a family history - his mother died in her 50's from a heart attack.

Dude! Fat people are people too. A high fat, low carb diet will lead to reduction of LDL regardless of weight.

Your thread is pointless. So you're insinuating that the guy in the video had a heart attack because he consumed a lot of butter? How do you know it was the butter that caused it? Do you know the history of his or his family health? Perhaps it could be congenital.

Oh look, a quick search of his name on Google lead me to this article:

www.today.com/amp/health/biggest-loser-bob-harper-opens-today-about-recovery-t109956

Well, there you have it.

Now be quiet.

You posted a study of people losing weight and claimed a high saturated fat diet lowers LDL despite the fact that it was the weight loss confounder that lowered LDL. Countless RCT's have shown it's the exact opposite for weight stable people. Saturated fat raising LDL and LDL-p isn't the slightest bit controversial. Saturated fat down regulates the LDL receptors causing serum LDL to rise.

The fact that he his family had a history of heart disease makes him doubly stupid. Drinking butter is literally pouring gasoline on the fire.

The fact that he his family had a history of heart disease makes him doubly stupid. Drinking butter is literally pouring gasoline on the fire.

His mother might have had a shit diet too.

One of the dumbest things is to look a family history without a detailed study of the factors in that family member's diet. Having a family member with an illness doesn't necessarily mean that it's genetic.

I have a neighbor who has "a family history" of heart attacks with uncles and father. They are also all overweight and none of them exercise.

I would suggest beginning with these ...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071648

http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h3978

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24723079

Daley,Cynthia A.,Amber Abbott, Patrick S Doyle, Glenn A NaderandStephanie
Larson. “A review of fatty acid profiles and antioxidant content in grass-fed and
grain-fed beef”. Nutrition Journal 9:10 (2010). Nutrition Journal. Medsource
Nutrition Center, 10 March 2010.

Enig, Mary G., Sally Fallon. Weston A. Price Foundation. Saturated fats and the lungs. June 30th, 2000.

Enig, Mary G., Sally Fallon. Weston A. Price Foundation. The Skinny on Fats. January 1st, 2000.

Feinman, R.D., Eugene J. Fine. ""A Calorie Is a Calorie" Violates the Second Law of Thermodynamics." Nutrition Journal 3.9 (2004). Nutrition Journal. Medsource Nutrition Center, 28 July 2004.

Feinman, R.D., Eugene J. Fine. "Nonequilibrium Thermodynamics and Energy
Efficiency in Weight Loss Diets". Theoretical Biologry & Medical Modelling 4.27 (2007). PubMed Central. 30 July 2007.

Gunnes M., Lehmann EH. "Dietary calcium, saturated fat, fiber and vitamin C as predictors of forearm cortical and trabecular bone mineral density in healthy children and adolescents." National Centre for Biotechnology Information 84.4 (1995). PubMed.gov. April 1995. Web. 29 October 2011.

Halton TL., Walter C. Willett, Simin Liu, JoAnn E. Manson, Christine M. Albert, Kathryn Rexrode, and Frank B. "Low-carbohydrate-diet score and the risk of coronary heart disease in women". The New England Journal of Medicine 355.19 (2002). 9 November 2006.

Harvard School of Public Health. "Fats and Cholesterol". 21 May 2010.

Krauss RM, Blanche PJ, Rawlings RS, Fernstrom HS, Williams PT. Separate effects of reduced carbohydrate intake and weight loss on atherogenic dyslipidemia.Am J Clin Nutr2006;83:1025–31

Ma J., Aaron R Folsom, Eyal Shahar, John H Eckfeldt. "Plasma fatty acid composition as
an indicator of habitual dietary fat intake in middle-aged adults. The
Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study Investigators". The American
Journal of Clinical Nutrition
62.3 (1995): 564–71. American Society Nutrition.

Prentice, William E.. Principles of Athletic Training. Fourteenth ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2011. Print.

Ravnskov, Uffe. Diet-heart disease hypothesis is wishful thinking. (January, 2002).

BMJ 2002; 324 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.324.7331.238

Sherman, Lisa. Gale Engage Learning. "Saturated fats not linked to heart disease." The Journal of Chinese Medicine 94 (2010): 76. Academic OneFile. Web. 15 September 2011

Shils, Maurice E., Moshe Shike, A. Catherine Ross, Benjamin Caballero, and Robert J. Cousins. Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease. Tenth ed. Philadelphia: Lippencott Williams & Wilkins, 2006. Print.

Sivasankaran, S. "The cardio-protective diet." Indian Journal of Medical Research 132.5 (2010): 608+. Academic OneFile.

Poor guy. Glad he is doing well.

We just had a family friend that experienced a heart attack while on a cruise. Thankfully he lived. He was in poor health before the cardiac event. At least that was my impression. While he exercised frequently, I saw him out walking every morning, it was easy to see he struggled with breaking. As our friend was telling my father, his cholesterol numbers were perfect. His doctor complemented him on that. As a result it surprised him that he had a heart attack.

There are many different theories on what causes heart attacks. I'm personally not a believer in the cholesterol theory. I now suspect that diet plays a small roll in heart attacks. Stress is likely a causing agent. Cocaine looks to cause heart attacks in some. Blood clots, or excessive clotting of the blood likely is a leading candidate for cardiac events. Lack of sun exposure is probably a problem. Being exposed to the sun increasing nitric oxide levels (NO) which some believe is helpful for a healthy heart. A little on that idea about the sun being healthy to the heart can be read here:

‘Sunlight’ found to lower blood pressure

http://www.drbriffa.com/2013/05/08/sunlight-found-to-lower-blood-pressure/

I would suggest beginning with these ...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071648

http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h3978

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24723079

Daley,Cynthia A.,Amber Abbott, Patrick S Doyle, Glenn A NaderandStephanie
Larson. “A review of fatty acid profiles and antioxidant content in grass-fed and
grain-fed beef”. Nutrition Journal 9:10 (2010). Nutrition Journal. Medsource
Nutrition Center, 10 March 2010.

Enig, Mary G., Sally Fallon. Weston A. Price Foundation. Saturated fats and the lungs. June 30th, 2000.

Enig, Mary G., Sally Fallon. Weston A. Price Foundation. The Skinny on Fats. January 1st, 2000.

Feinman, R.D., Eugene J. Fine. ""A Calorie Is a Calorie" Violates the Second Law of Thermodynamics." Nutrition Journal 3.9 (2004). Nutrition Journal. Medsource Nutrition Center, 28 July 2004.

Feinman, R.D., Eugene J. Fine. "Nonequilibrium Thermodynamics and Energy
Efficiency in Weight Loss Diets". Theoretical Biologry & Medical Modelling 4.27 (2007). PubMed Central. 30 July 2007.

Gunnes M., Lehmann EH. "Dietary calcium, saturated fat, fiber and vitamin C as predictors of forearm cortical and trabecular bone mineral density in healthy children and adolescents." National Centre for Biotechnology Information 84.4 (1995). PubMed.gov. April 1995. Web. 29 October 2011.

Halton TL., Walter C. Willett, Simin Liu, JoAnn E. Manson, Christine M. Albert, Kathryn Rexrode, and Frank B. "Low-carbohydrate-diet score and the risk of coronary heart disease in women". The New England Journal of Medicine 355.19 (2002). 9 November 2006.

Harvard School of Public Health. "Fats and Cholesterol". 21 May 2010.

Krauss RM, Blanche PJ, Rawlings RS, Fernstrom HS, Williams PT. Separate effects of reduced carbohydrate intake and weight loss on atherogenic dyslipidemia.Am J Clin Nutr2006;83:1025–31

Ma J., Aaron R Folsom, Eyal Shahar, John H Eckfeldt. "Plasma fatty acid composition as
an indicator of habitual dietary fat intake in middle-aged adults. The
Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study Investigators". The American
Journal of Clinical Nutrition 62.3 (1995): 564–71. American Society Nutrition.

Prentice, William E.. Principles of Athletic Training. Fourteenth ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2011. Print.

Ravnskov, Uffe. Diet-heart disease hypothesis is wishful thinking. (January, 2002).

BMJ 2002; 324 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.324.7331.238

Sherman, Lisa. Gale Engage Learning. "Saturated fats not linked to heart disease." The Journal of Chinese Medicine 94 (2010): 76. Academic OneFile. Web. 15 September 2011

Shils, Maurice E., Moshe Shike, A. Catherine Ross, Benjamin Caballero, and Robert J. Cousins. Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease. Tenth ed. Philadelphia: Lippencott Williams & Wilkins, 2006. Print.

Sivasankaran, S. "The cardio-protective diet." Indian Journal of Medical Research 132.5 (2010): 608+. Academic OneFile.
I'm familiar with 95% of them. I was a cholesterol "skeptic" for about a decade. And let me tell you, misinterpreted links from science deniers, bloggers, diet promoters and other assorted cranks doesn't do much to convince me that the entire western world is fundamentally wrong about the western worlds top killer.

Dietary cholesterol has VERY little If any effect on blood cholesterol levels. There is science to back this up as well. Even Ancel keyes himself has stated this.

Back