1. New Sherdog Meme Generator! Check is out Here Use it to win a free platinum accountHere
    Dismiss Notice

Bullet proof coffee advocate has a heart attack

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by forum poster, Apr 9, 2017.

1. forum poster Brown Belt

forum poster
    Paleo/bulletproof coffee promoter had a heart attack recently.

I'm glad he's OK but I seriously have little patience for these people who go on TV promoting drinking butter for breakfast.
    I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he had good intentions and was just suckered in to actually believing that cholesterol level's have nothing to do with arterial function and atherosclerosis.

Hopefully it's a lesson learned for him and his followers.

2. Thunderhead Трахать капитализм

Thunderhead
    Dietary cholesterol doesn't raise your LDL cholesterol level.
    It's also an essential part of your diet.

mon, Nononononotorious and Badger67 like this.
  3. Badger67 Taxidea taxus

Badger67
    Lipid hypothesis is still true doe :rolleyes:

therealdope likes this.
  4. forum poster Brown Belt

forum poster
    Well not significantly for around 75% of the population. Saturated fat, specifically butter, does though. Especially when you when you're drinking a damn cup of the stuff for breakfast.

Goldentrophy likes this.
  5. therealdope Gold Belt

therealdope
    That's actually not true. What recent research has shown is that ratio of HDL:LDL is not as strong an indicator for risk of cardiovascular disease, but don't in anyway think that the raw sum of HDL+LDL isn't something that will fuck you up.

6. Thunderhead Трахать капитализм

Thunderhead
    No.

And no.

I've been on the ketogenic diet many times. All I ate were bratwurst, fatty cuts of meat, eggs, butter, and vegetables. My testosterone level shot up by 200 ng/mL and my cholesterol level was optimal (<200).

Now eat a lot of sugar and simple carbs along with the saturated fat and dietary cholesterol, and you've got yourself a problem.

usmctanker242 likes this.
  7. JSN Steel Belt

JSN
    well then that's settled.

therealdope likes this.
  8. forum poster Brown Belt

forum poster
    Dozens of controlled clinical trials > your anecdote. Maybe you were losing weight? Maybe you don't personally react to diet?
    Saturated fat raising LDL is completely non controversial.

9. Thunderhead Трахать капитализм

Thunderhead
    You want studies? Here's your studies:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19641727

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3826507/

Basically, what I'm saying is your thread is pointless.

10. forum poster Brown Belt

forum poster
    t
    Dude. You just gave me a weight loss study with obese patients with 80% of fats coming from poly and monounsaturates. That tells me nothing of what saturated fat does to weight stable people.. Cholesterol levels tend to decrease when losing weight no matter how bad the diet is.

11. Thunderhead Трахать капитализм

Thunderhead
    Dude! Fat people are people too. A high fat, low carb diet will lead to reduction of LDL regardless of weight.

Your thread is pointless. So you're insinuating that the guy in the video had a heart attack because he consumed a lot of butter? How do you know it was the butter that caused it? Do you know the history of his or his family health? Perhaps it could be congenital.

Oh look, a quick search of his name on Google lead me to this article:

www.today.com/amp/health/biggest-loser-bob-harper-opens-today-about-recovery-t109956

Well, there you have it.

Now be quiet.

12. corpse Yellow Belt

corpse
    how much carbs did you consume a day?

13. Thunderhead Трахать капитализм

Thunderhead
    Less than 30 grams a day, excluding fiber.

14. ShoelessRye Silver Belt

ShoelessRye
    He has a family history - his mother died in her 50's from a heart attack.

usmctanker242 and 007 like this.
  15. forum poster Brown Belt

forum poster
    You posted a study of people losing weight and claimed a high saturated fat diet lowers LDL despite the fact that it was the weight loss confounder that lowered LDL. Countless RCT's have shown it's the exact opposite for weight stable people. Saturated fat raising LDL and LDL-p isn't the slightest bit controversial. Saturated fat down regulates the LDL receptors causing serum LDL to rise.

The fact that he his family had a history of heart disease makes him doubly stupid. Drinking butter is literally pouring gasoline on the fire.

16. therealdope Gold Belt

therealdope
    His mother might have had a shit diet too.

One of the dumbest things is to look a family history without a detailed study of the factors in that family member's diet. Having a family member with an illness doesn't necessarily mean that it's genetic.

I have a neighbor who has "a family history" of heart attacks with uncles and father. They are also all overweight and none of them exercise.

17. Badger67 Taxidea taxus

Badger67
    I would suggest beginning with these ...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071648

http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h3978

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24723079

Daley,Cynthia A.,Amber Abbott, Patrick S Doyle, Glenn A NaderandStephanie
    Larson. “A review of fatty acid profiles and antioxidant content in grass-fed and
    grain-fed beef”. Nutrition Journal 9:10 (2010). Nutrition Journal. Medsource
    Nutrition Center, 10 March 2010.

Enig, Mary G., Sally Fallon. Weston A. Price Foundation. Saturated fats and the lungs. June 30th, 2000.

Enig, Mary G., Sally Fallon. Weston A. Price Foundation. The Skinny on Fats. January 1st, 2000.

Feinman, R.D., Eugene J. Fine. ""A Calorie Is a Calorie" Violates the Second Law of Thermodynamics." Nutrition Journal 3.9 (2004). Nutrition Journal. Medsource Nutrition Center, 28 July 2004.

Feinman, R.D., Eugene J. Fine. "Nonequilibrium Thermodynamics and Energy
    Efficiency in Weight Loss Diets". Theoretical Biologry & Medical Modelling 4.27 (2007). PubMed Central. 30 July 2007.

Gunnes M., Lehmann EH. "Dietary calcium, saturated fat, fiber and vitamin C as predictors of forearm cortical and trabecular bone mineral density in healthy children and adolescents." National Centre for Biotechnology Information 84.4 (1995). PubMed.gov. April 1995. Web. 29 October 2011.

Halton TL., Walter C. Willett, Simin Liu, JoAnn E. Manson, Christine M. Albert, Kathryn Rexrode, and Frank B. "Low-carbohydrate-diet score and the risk of coronary heart disease in women". The New England Journal of Medicine 355.19 (2002). 9 November 2006.

Harvard School of Public Health. "Fats and Cholesterol". 21 May 2010.

Krauss RM, Blanche PJ, Rawlings RS, Fernstrom HS, Williams PT. Separate effects of reduced carbohydrate intake and weight loss on atherogenic dyslipidemia.Am J Clin Nutr2006;83:1025–31

Ma J., Aaron R Folsom, Eyal Shahar, John H Eckfeldt. "Plasma fatty acid composition as
    an indicator of habitual dietary fat intake in middle-aged adults. The
    Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study Investigators". The American
    Journal of Clinical Nutrition
    62.3 (1995): 564–71. American Society Nutrition.

Prentice, William E.. Principles of Athletic Training. Fourteenth ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2011. Print.

Ravnskov, Uffe. Diet-heart disease hypothesis is wishful thinking. (January, 2002).

BMJ 2002; 324 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.324.7331.238

Sherman, Lisa. Gale Engage Learning. "Saturated fats not linked to heart disease." The Journal of Chinese Medicine 94 (2010): 76. Academic OneFile. Web. 15 September 2011

Shils, Maurice E., Moshe Shike, A. Catherine Ross, Benjamin Caballero, and Robert J. Cousins. Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease. Tenth ed. Philadelphia: Lippencott Williams & Wilkins, 2006. Print.

Sivasankaran, S. "The cardio-protective diet." Indian Journal of Medical Research 132.5 (2010): 608+. Academic OneFile.

wellz6 and Thunderhead like this.
  18. Beechwood Blue Belt

Beechwood
    Poor guy. Glad he is doing well.

We just had a family friend that experienced a heart attack while on a cruise. Thankfully he lived. He was in poor health before the cardiac event. At least that was my impression. While he exercised frequently, I saw him out walking every morning, it was easy to see he struggled with breaking. As our friend was telling my father, his cholesterol numbers were perfect. His doctor complemented him on that. As a result it surprised him that he had a heart attack.

There are many different theories on what causes heart attacks. I'm personally not a believer in the cholesterol theory. I now suspect that diet plays a small roll in heart attacks. Stress is likely a causing agent. Cocaine looks to cause heart attacks in some. Blood clots, or excessive clotting of the blood likely is a leading candidate for cardiac events. Lack of sun exposure is probably a problem. Being exposed to the sun increasing nitric oxide levels (NO) which some believe is helpful for a healthy heart. A little on that idea about the sun being healthy to the heart can be read here:

‘Sunlight’ found to lower blood pressure

http://www.drbriffa.com/2013/05/08/sunlight-found-to-lower-blood-pressure/

19. forum poster Brown Belt

forum poster
    I'm familiar with 95% of them. I was a cholesterol "skeptic" for about a decade. And let me tell you, misinterpreted links from science deniers, bloggers, diet promoters and other assorted cranks doesn't do much to convince me that the entire western world is fundamentally wrong about the western worlds top killer.

20. MescalineDreams Brown Belt

MescalineDreams
    Dietary cholesterol has VERY little If any effect on blood cholesterol levels. There is science to back this up as well. Even Ancel keyes himself has stated this.

wellz6, Thunderhead and Badger67 like this.