Bulging disk... Need advice

Im hoping to not need any surgery man...
I know some ritious older dudes who have fused vertebrate in there backs....They don't take high impact breakfalls anymore, but BJJ/doesn't have that kind of trauma going through your body zillions of times so that would be the extreme worst case example.

Just carve out some time grab a cup of Joe, suds, spirits what ever floats your boat and research the shit out of it!

I'm almost tempted to do it myself cause I've had to do it a few other times for training related injuries and I'm always ready to up my IQ on rehabing stuff....

In any case I swallowed my pride long ago, got into Yoga and Tai Chi at 5am so I could condition my back and knees for longevity. Go figure it's my fucking hip that gives out...

Is this for real. There are a lot of cult farms up in that area. Any respectable people say they went there. Not Tom Cruse or any of his scientology buddies

I got my back fixed with hellers work. Structural integration etc...

I have had a herniated disc in my C6-C7 since 2006.

Herniated my L5-S1 last year. I have had multiple orthos and neurologists tell me to quit BJJ, but I obviously empathize with you TS since I am still doing it.

It really sucks. Take your time in getting back on the mat. Time you give yourself now off the mat is time you give yourself on the mat in the long run.

I would find a doctor that has a reputation for working with athletes a lot. If you know any older pros or former pros, ask them who they worked with. Get a second opinion from someone who has worked with patients in exactly your situation and knows that quitting is not an option. Many docs are couch potatoes and just don't understand. Find one that understands athletes.

NEVER
STOP
TRAINING.

Don't be a bitch. Inverted guard like only true alpha grapplers can.

you will need rest. you will then need to strength train.

squats, deadlifts, hip thrusts with no ego and good form. consider HGH as well. it wont do shit on its own but it will help you.

people have come back from herniated discs to squat over 700 pounds. it can be done. it is not a death sentence. do not get discouraged

you will need rest. you will then need to strength train.

squats, deadlifts, hip thrusts with no ego and good form. consider HGH as well. it wont do shit on its own but it will help you.

people have come back from herniated discs to squat over 700 pounds. it can be done. it is not a death sentence. do not get discouraged

I'm actually on trt for life... If I had the Bucks, I would be in hrt also...

Last edited:
First thing is find a good physio and take a break from the training. I've got a massive 14mm disc herniation on L5-S1 that put me of the mats for 2 months last year. Since then I came back , got my blue belt (which was long overdue ) and I've been training 4-5 times a week on a regular. I'm pretty much pain free although I try not to invert (not my style anyway) and I never get stacked. I've been through some excruciating nerve pain but let me tell it's not the end of the world, you'll come back from it. BTW where about are you based?

First thing is find a good physio and take a break from the training. I've got a massive 14mm disc herniation on L5-S1 that put me of the mats for 2 months last year. Since then I came back , got my blue belt (which was long overdue ) and I've been training 4-5 times a week on a regular. I'm pretty much pain free although I try not to invert (not my style anyway) and I never get stacked. I've been through some excruciating nerve pain but let me tell it's not the end of the world, you'll come back from it. BTW where about are you based?

Thanks man...I'm from Paraguay..

Do yourself a huge favor and go to Amazon and order any book on low back disorders by Stuart McGill. Do the exercises religiously and follow his advice on how to stay injury free in everyday life. The books are a good education on lower back injuries. I have been injury free for almost 2 years now.

McGill is most definitely one of the best authorities out there on the subject; i was considering mentioning his work as well but i didn't want to just make my post an infomercial telling BR to buy stuff.

If you do happen to be buying stuff though, his works are excellent; Back Mechanic is the 'entry level' and something he wrote to help even a lay person understand the physio-dynamics involved in various causes of back pain, while remaining technically accurate. Ultimate Back is more focused on the athletic performance side of things and how it relates to the back/core. And finally Lower Back Disorders is pretty much the desk reference for basically anything you could ever want to know about dysfunctions of the spine and anything else that might relate too it.

There's a lot of good stuff of his posted on youtube as well.

Some other books worth looking into are Dan Johns 'Can You Go', and 'Overcoming gravity' by Steven Low.

There is also a lot of good material related to this subject in this thread as well.

Last edited:
If you are in oc ca go to Doc Kessler. Edit sorry I see your not in the US. Realize that you will need to drastically adjust your game. Don't do anything that hurts you. If it hurts don't do that guard/position. You have to be extra defensive and learn how to frame.

After I got my lower back herinated, I pretty much stopped attacking submissions from the guard to avoid possibility of getting stacked, stopped playing any guard apart from half, butterfly and x and don't even dream about inverting. I also added lots of s&c training to increase the stability. Now 4 years later I rarely get any back pain and developed some decent passing game, so it's not all bad, I do miss attacking triangles from spider guard, but oh well.

Back