Building UFC 229

Joseph_McBride

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There's been a lot of smoke about Khabib vs Conor at 229 on OCT 6th in Vegas. And if Conor doesnt want that smoke I fully expect Lee to jump in. But what could/should the rest of the card look like? Well everyone wants to be on a big Conor card and Vegas cards are typically pretty stacked, altho 222 & 216 would beg to differ. Lets take a look at Joe Silva-McBride's matchmaking:

UFC 226:
Khabib N. vs Conor McGregor
Tyron Woodley vs Colby Covington
Yoel Romero vs Jacare Souza 2
Sean O'Malley vs Tom Duquesnoy
Karolina K. vs Michelle Waterson

Dominick Cruz vs John Lineker
Dominick Reyes vs Jordan Johnson
John Moraga vs Alexandre Pantoja
Calvin Kattar vs Arnold Allen

CB Dollaway vs Hector Lombard 2
Zeleski Dos Santos vs Ryan LaFlare
Marvin Vettori vs Charles Byrd

Good card but what the hell happened to 6 or 7 fights on a main card? I want to go back to that.

Not bad at all I like the main card and the prelims. Alex Hernandez vs another top ten opponent would be awesome

There's been a lot of smoke about Khabib vs Conor at 229 on OCT 6th in Vegas. And if Conor doesnt want that smoke I fully expect Lee to jump in. But what could/should the rest of the card look like? Well everyone wants to be on a big Conor card and Vegas cards are typically pretty stacked, altho 222 & 216 would beg to differ. Lets take a look at Joe Silva-McBride's matchmaking:

UFC 226:
Khabib N. vs Conor McGregor
Tyron Woodley vs Colby Covington
Yoel Romero vs Jacare Souza 2
Sean O'Malley vs Tom Duquesnoy
Karolina K. vs Michelle Waterson

Dominick Cruz vs John Lineker
Dominick Reyes vs Jordan Johnson
John Moraga vs Alexandre Pantoja
Calvin Kattar vs Arnold Allen

CB Dollaway vs Hector Lombard 2
Zeleski Dos Santos vs Ryan LaFlare
Marvin Vettori vs Charles Byrd

one problem you cant have a retired fighter on it.

also I think Karolina should fight rose next.

I actually don't believe this fight will happen at 229. Vegas does not make sense for it. The North East has the biggest CIS (ex-Soviet states), Muslim and Irish populations, and even Khabib has said he wants to fight in New York. Throwing that market demographic out the window and going to Las Vegas doesn't seem realistic to me at all. That being said, when the card takes place in New York with Khabib headlining I'd expect to see some Russian fighters on the undercard too. I would like to see Antigulov and Bibulutov on it.

Who is O'Malley to be over Cruz on the main card? Reported.

I'll take shit that won't happen for 500, please.

If Khabib vs Conor ever happens, it won't even be in 2018

One of the things Conor has been asking for, is that he is on a card with no other fighters that get a PPV cut, and I get a feeling that this is something that the UFC will concede. So no woodley.

Conor wont take the fight imo. I see Lee vs Nurm happening more likely.

Agree that Conor will not want any other championship fights on the card. In that case i could see 229 looking something like this.

Khabib vs Conor
Miocic vs Velasquez
Ferguson vs Winner of Alvarez/Poirer
RDA vs Usman
Doesn't really matter who the 5th fight is, any ideas?

Sean O'Malley in the undercard

Still a very stacked card, also has Ferguson in case of a pull out of either Mcgregor or Khabib.

Last edited:
Back