Building strength going slow

flikerstance

floridaman
Banned
Reaction score
i heard someone claim the slower you go the more strength you'll gain like 6 seconds going down and 8 pressing on bench it seems logical but what's the thought on that

Time under tension, the old HIT principle. Without getting overly wordy in response... it's dumb.

You want to be fast and explosive as possible under non-maximal load (think throwing a punch, jumping, throwing a ball, etc.) and the only time you slow down is when you're forced to by maximum or near-maximum load, like lifting or moving something very heavy.

The super slow stuff does develop strength and muscle. But so does my patented "wrapped in a rug" workout, where we wrap you in a rug and you struggle to get out. There are better ways.

...But so does my patented "wrapped in a rug" workout, where we wrap you in a rug and you struggle to get out. There are better ways.
pics of said patent or it becomes Sherdog intellectual property.

pics of said patent or it becomes Sherdog intellectual property.
Well, the athletic wear shown here is optional, but...

cleopatra-7rug.jpg

Here's the diagram:

US4002308-2.png

Time under tension might have some validity, but total volume is likely a greater signifier.

the 8 second press might put stress on the scapular rectus joint. If you go too long there is increased pressure on the UHF knob (can't think of a better term for it) I'd stick to less than 7 seconds. and maybe a slight pump of the bar at 4 seconds

8 seconds is a long as time when you are squating and benching some heavy weight. controlled negatives are important but length of time shouldnt be a factor. just work on good form, controlled negatives and explode when pushing out

I figured it's so hard to explain to country people the difference between bro science and bs vs real

i heard someone claim the slower you go the more strength you'll gain like 6 seconds going down and 8 pressing on bench it seems logical but what's the thought on that

It increases muscular damage, which probably provides more stimulus to hypertrophy and satellite cell growth (yay!), but negatively effects rate-coding and speed(boo! and also duh). In addition, increased muscular damage may accrue faster than your protein synthesis can catch up with, so if you did this near your limit I would expect that the amount of volume you can tolerate would go down over time.

I'd probably stick it in toward the end of a hypertrophy block, where you know you have a de-load coming up. If you're just doing a pissing around amount of volume you probably don't need to worry about it.

There's also some evidence that this kind of training might help with tendon re-modeling, might be useful for mild injury recovery.

What's the logic behind a slower concentric vs eccentric? If the whole point is just to increase trauma to the muscle via TUT, it would make much more sense to have a slower eccentric.

Slow, controlled reps is more of a hypertrophy/body building thing. It helps get a monstrous pump. I wouldn't use that on the big three but I do occasionally throw in some slow reps on some accessory lifts because I want to look like I lift.

What's the logic behind a slower concentric vs eccentric? If the whole point is just to increase trauma to the muscle via TUT, it would make much more sense to have a slower eccentric.

The slower eccentric is more efficient in causing damage. I'd group slow eccentric and just slow generally techniques together. I'm not aware of any direct comparison studies. Using tempos may also repress stretch reflex, which could also increase tension

The slower eccentric is more efficient in causing damage. I'd group slow eccentric and just slow generally techniques together. I'm not aware of any direct comparison studies. Using tempos may also repress stretch reflex, which could also increase tension
Yeah, that was my point. Micro trauma to the myofibers occurs primarily during eccentric iirc. Having a slower concentric than eccentric seems counterintuitive.

Well, the athletic wear shown here is optional, but...

cleopatra-7rug.jpg

Here's the diagram:

US4002308-2.png
How much did you pay Elizabeth Taylor to roll her in that rug?

Back