Building an MMA gym

GalltiK said:
No cage:( ok so i went to a few local fence places today, and to get all the supplys to do a safe and strong cage materials came to around $2600 and thats not including the floor and all the padding you need for protection. So we are gonna scratch the idea and make a much larger grappling area. oh well ... i have pictures of the new place will start a new thread so we can track progress as we go , maybe make the new thread a sticky?

A new sticky would be a good idea. That way people don't keep responding to informatio from 2-3 pages ago that has already been answered or no longer relevant.

What makes building the fence so expensive?

the pipe and connectors/flanges was the most money

but we are doing the next best thing , instead of one floor ring , we will have a regular square 20x20 ring and a octa ring also at 18x18

hmm we just came up on some borrowed funds, might be a 6 sided cage :)

i got them on craigslist for $15 each used, i just picked up tonight the last ten he had brand new for $20 each, they can be had online for like 25-35 depending on how many u order plus shipping ther are 39 " by 39" and 1 inch thick

i went to another fence guy today that was totally into me making a cage, his prices are cheaper and had shown me some short cuts that will bring the costs down.

i am gonna make a new thread but it will take me time to update it as we are busy trying to get to painting the new place and they have to build from the ground up

we was gonna build another ring, but a friend of mine that closed his MT school a while back is selling me a floor ring that cost 3 g's plus shipping for $1200!!!! score!! man i hope this place comes out nice i cant wait to see teh end result and finally when u use a search engine to find out how to build a cage this thread pops up :)

Make sure you take pictures of the place from the beginning, so we can see the before and after photos.

ok, i figure i would start a new thread to make it easier for people to see. We had to leave our current location do to building codes and such, so we found a place 2 minutes away and much larger. The only downfall to this place is the height of beams running across (7ft) so we are gonna have to use floor rings. Here are some pics i took , we have not done anything yet.

The rent is a bit more than we paid before,(lol @ $500 a month) but it still alot cheaper than if we got a pretty looking place($2-3k a month around here). I want to stress this point so there will be no hate in this thread, We are not making a super duper 200k in equipment center like Randy' and Bas's lol or a ufc training center :) this is a budget place, we either make it our selves or find good deals like ebay or craiglist. So wish us luck!!
Picture013copy.jpg

Picture014copy.jpg

Picture016copy.jpg

Picture017copy.jpg

Picture020copy.jpg

It's already bigger than where I train. After seeing the work and results of your last gym, I don't see why this would be anything less than top notch!!! Looking foreward to seeing the "after" pics.

LOL @ "Yankees suck!" on the wall.

stickied, I will check whenI can while I travel. good luck gall

~Foz

My favorite part of this entire thread is the "Yankees Suck" written out of sheer hatred on the wood hahaha

Do you have pics of your old gym? I would like to see them.

ichiban, I think at shermansmma.com is the website for his last gym. At least that is what I am assuming(maybe I shouldn't assume).

ok we didnt get that much done today, but here are some pictures. this is a floor ring, its pretty simple to make one say with fence posts instead of the posts we have here if you wanted to, the pics you dont see is whne i put the floor together. I first laid all the foam out and them we cut 2 inch wood strapping to fit all the way around the foam like a frame, we thne laid the canvas out over the foam and rolled the edges of canvas up in the strapping and screwed it tight to the floor.

there is a big difference moving around on the foam vs moving around on the other ring i built (just had a carpet floor) you can grapple on this foam flooring for sure.
pics
Picture425.jpg

here you can get an idea of how to join the rope together with pipe clamps
Picture417.jpg

then we used this pipe foam to cover the ropes
Picture418.jpg

then duct tape
Picture419.jpg

Picture416.jpg

started to lay down puzzle mats for the heavy bag area , by the way i know the place is very dirty but we are far from being done, everywhere you see wood on the floor will be either puzzle mats or carpet.
Picture425.jpg

we should have the ring tightened up and all the corner pads and rope spacers on in the next couple of days ( we work regular jobs during the day )

ModernWarrior said:
ichiban, I think at shermansmma.com is the website for his last gym. At least that is what I am assuming(maybe I shouldn't assume).

yes u are right sir :)

Back