Building an MMA gym

back from the dead thread!

as long as you build it properly should be no problems. we have a 16x16 that is fine, never been hurt as a cause of its material.

pbradish said:
Gall, you doing a full cage or half cage?

I hear iffy things about training in the cage, due to cuts. We've been tossing around the idea of putting up a half cage however.

Paul
www.mmamuscle.com

Cages do suck a lil i haven't had any cuts but when i was grappling my little toe got stuck on the fencing and is dislocated. It's amazeing how much you use your toes for day to day things.

WOW! That looks sweet man! Really love it, great training area it looks like. Awesome location on the second floor of an auto shop! Love it man!

BJJHooligan said:
Cages do suck a lil i haven't had any cuts but when i was grappling my little toe got stuck on the fencing and is dislocated. It's amazeing how much you use your toes for day to day things.

ewww, I hate bumping my toes on wall corners or anything, I can't imagine one of em actually coming out of the freaken socket

How big is your ring? it seems to be16 by 16, if so, is it big enough?Can u spar without any problem?

Awesomeness. This is dedication in action. How many students/training buddies do you have so far?

Frickin great stuff, could you please give us a final estimate on the costs for all those things? looks really interesting.

we spent around 10 grand total on this place, the ring is 15x15 its fine if you not gonna run :) we are moving and gonna start all over again

so i might make the ring 18x18

and i am gonna make a square or 6 sided cage around 30x30

so look for the new build up as soon as i get the keys :)

FLMikeATT said:
Awesomeness. This is dedication in action. How many students/training buddies do you have so far?
at first we thought we would do this to just pay the rent and be able to have a place to train and have fun, But now we have so much interest we are moving to a much bigger place since we have around 20-30 members right now

we are gonna have a small exhibition event in a couple weeks should be fun :)

but the expansion is crazy! we have women that want cardio kick boxing, kids that do private lessons, its all looking good

I saw the video on YouTube of your place, and thought it looked great. Then I came here and saw how you put it all together and I'm amazed. Great work, that is a nice gym. Can't wait to see what you do with the new building.

Thanks, some people on youtube man ill tell ya lol, they think we are like a full on pride/ufc training center lol

Its hard letting people know we are a training center not a school , we have a pro fighter that does a free class daily including bjj/cardio/and stand up but mainly we are just there to give you a hand holding the pads or for sparring

but with the new place we will offer more classes

shit we even have a staff member that does private circuit training now lol

we started this thing a couple of keyboard warriors lol that wanted to train and have a place to train, but it looks to turn into a monster will all the interest. Shit we are even gonna follow ron from ssf and put a mini ( and i mean mini) pro shop

lol, I'm following you and taking some of your ideas for our school. You've done a great job.

www.SSFgear.com

GalltiK said:
we spent around 10 grand total on this place, the ring is 15x15 its fine if you not gonna run :) we are moving and gonna start all over again

so i might make the ring 18x18

and i am gonna make a square or 6 sided cage around 30x30

so look for the new build up as soon as i get the keys :)

I read that the official ring size is 20 x 20 up to 24 x 24, I was thinking about doing 22x22 but there isn't any wood that long unless it's special order, otherwise I would have to double up the framing , but thinking about it, 15 x 15 is more than enough I think.

Good job man. Not bad for 10k and alot of dedication. I just checked your website, looks good aswell. I love seeing people who are dedicated to the sport put action behing thier ideas. Wish you lots of success and fun times training!!

Where did you get that "Focusmaster", the 2 beam focus-mitt rack? And how much. My teacher mentioned getting one.

thanks man, its still weird for us like we did it as a hobby but now people are expecting alot more out of us, we will deliver ! i dream of not working anymore and just devoting all day to that kind of buisness, but we will see in the next couple of years how things turn out :)

the way i see it we will always have potential customers , there is always a bad ass thats wants to show how tuff he is lol , those guys come and go but we need to build a strong core of members (right now there are 15 that are there every singel day) but if we can get that number up to 30 we will be in very good shape :)

man i should move to boston.

No cage:( ok so i went to a few local fence places today, and to get all the supplys to do a safe and strong cage materials came to around $2600 and thats not including the floor and all the padding you need for protection. So we are gonna scratch the idea and make a much larger grappling area. oh well ... i have pictures of the new place will start a new thread so we can track progress as we go , maybe make the new thread a sticky?

The cage will come with time - no kidding that they aren't cheap, even if you do it yourself.

You should use the "ghetto fence technique" :) Cheap and reliable, lol. Anyhow, I'd love to see your progress.

Paul
www.mmamuscle.com

Back