Building a Goodall - Video showing how a Goodall acoustic is made

rj144

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
So, this is kind of long, but just skip around if you want:

It's why I like acoustics more than electrics. So much time goes into making them. Also, Goodall is my favorite guitar maker. I have one and it's like a Taylor on steroids.

I want

You have one of these? Cheapest make is 6 grand

Here's mine:

22131829881_28792df975_b.jpg

21905628819_cf3561438b_b.jpg

21499106834_13e3fcc29f_b.jpg

19267062732_ebf8d05ddb_b.jpg

Really enjoyed that video

Interesting that you like acoustics more than electrics simply because it takes more time to make them.

Might take a bit more craftsmanship to make an acoustic, but is that the most important thing?

It's more important what they're capable of I'd say.

I'd argue one of the strengths of electric guitars is that it takes less time to make them through CnC machines and such. Don't have to break the bank for a quality one, plus you can buy a decent one and hot rod it.

Reason I like electrics more is I think it makes better and a wider range of music, they're more versatile, customizable, can do what an acoustic does too and generally are just cooler.

Acoustics are nice, but electrics are where it's at imo.

Last edited:
Interesting that you like acoustics more than electrics simply because it takes more time to make them.

Might take a bit more craftsmanship to make an acoustic, but is that the most important thing?

It's more important what they're capable of I'd say.

I'd argue one of the strengths of electric guitars is that it takes less time to make them through CnC machines and such. Don't have to break the bank for a quality one, plus you can buy a decent one and hot rod it.

Reason I like electrics more is I think it makes better and a wider range of music, they're more versatile, customizable, can do what an acoustic does too and generally are just cooler.

Acoustics are nice, but electrics are where it's at imo.

It's a matter of opinion, but the sound of acoustics is 99% do to how they are made. I can get a cheap $200 MIC electric, slap in some $300 PU's, and buy a $100 effects processor. Play it through a $150 amp and it would sound pretty good. That can be done all the time and it's not that special.

But, to get an acoustic to sound well, it's not that easy and when you play a great one, it's mind blowing.

I have electrics, but I play acoustic 98% of the time.

It's a matter of opinion, but the sound of acoustics is 99% do to how they are made. I can get a cheap $200 MIC electric, slap in some $300 PU's, and buy a $100 effects processor. Play it through a $150 amp and it would sound pretty good. That can be done all the time and it's not that special.

But, to get an acoustic to sound well, it's not that easy and when you play a great one, it's mind blowing.

I have electrics, but I play acoustic 98% of the time.
What's really special and more important is the music you make, atleast to me and I'd say most musicians, not the tool, how much it costs or how much longer it took to make it.

That's what I think anyway.

I like expensive guitars, don't get me wrong, but what I'm hoping to pay for isn't just the work that goes into it, but what it does for me, I.E. playability, versatility, durability, quality, along with some good aesthetic(a guilty pleasure to many).

You can buy a cheap plank, swap out the pups, get a better amp etc and make it sound decent, this is true, I'd again argue that's not a knock on electrics, it makes them more accessible and more dynamic. That said, a shitty guitar is a shitty guitar, I don't own too many yet, but I have had talks with others who say they've tried hot rodding a cheap electric and it doesn't necessarily mean it'll sound good.

There's a reason people buy Gibson over Epiphone and it's not just because of the name.

That said, a really well made guitar, acoustic or electric, are both going to be expensive, both take time to make and you get what you pay for.

There's also a reason why BC Rich has a reputation for bad guitars, it's because cheap imported makes are often low quality compared to other brands.

I had an IronBird made in China that I foolishly bought that I couldn't play or make sound good no matter what I did.

What's really special and more important is the music you make, atleast to me and I'd say most musicians, not the tool, how much it costs or how much longer it took to make it.

That's what I think anyway.

I like expensive guitars, don't get me wrong, but what I'm hoping to pay for isn't just the work that goes into it, but what it does for me, I.E. playability, versatility, durability, quality, along with some good aesthetic(a guilty pleasure to many).

You can buy a cheap plank, swap out the pups, get a better amp etc and make it sound decent, this is true, I'd again argue that's not a knock on electrics, it makes them more accessible and more dynamic. That said, a shitty guitar is a shitty guitar, I don't own too many yet, but I have had talks with others who say they've tried hot rodding a cheap electric and it doesn't necessarily mean it'll sound good.

There's a reason people buy Gibson over Epiphone and it's not just because of the name.

That said, a really well made guitar, acoustic or electric, are both going to be expensive, both take time to make and you get what you pay for.

Trust me... these Goodalls sound like angels singing. It's unlike anything I've ever played.

One more thing on the GIbson vs Epiphone, thing is, after playing a 2K Explorer I finally realized what all the fuss about Gibson was, prior I had only played cheaper Gibsons and Epiphones and it turned me off big time.

There's also a reason why BC Rich has a reputation for bad guitars, it's because cheap imported makes are often low quality compared to other brands.

I had an IronBird made in China that I foolishly bought that I couldn't play or make sound good no matter what I did.

I have a Korean made DeArmond that I got for like $200 on close out that sounds pretty damn amazing through an effects processor. I also got a B-stock Hagstrom Super Suede that's pretty good.

Trust me... these Goodalls sound like angels singing. It's unlike anything I've ever played.
I recently played a Taylor that was around 2500, sounded like magic.

Looking to get a more affordable one eventually.

The other reason I prefer good acoustics to good electrics is that even for $3k Gibson electrics, they're all made to the same specs. Sure, with good materials and very well, but they are made in cookie cutter fashion.

However, for acoustics, each piece of wood has different sound characteristics. When made by hand as in the video I posted in the OP, each guitar is made slightly differently to coax the optimum sound from the instrument. If it sounds good, it was carefully made to sound good and it takes a lot of knowledge to get it correct.

I recently played a Taylor that was around 2500, sounded like magic.

Looking to get a more affordable one eventually.

Yeah, I have $3k+ Taylors and they sound really good, but Goodalls are on an entire different level. It's actually night and day.

I have a Korean made DeArmond that I got for like $200 on close out that sounds pretty damn amazing through an effects processor. I also got a B-stock Hagstrom Super Suede that's pretty good.
How do they play/feel?

That's a big thing for me. I won't go for a guitar that doesn't feel right to me. That's what I hated about the BC Rich and why cheap guitars(even if they cost a decent amount of money anyway like the one I had did) aren't something I'll bother with again. Ibanez is a bit of an exception though.

This is why I like Ibanez so much, the neck plays like butter, doesn't fret out, and is a bolt on, so I can hot rod it with other Ibby necks if I want.

Some Edge trems can be swapped for OFR's aswell, which is a great thing.

How do they play/feel?

That's a big thing for me. I won't go for a guitar that doesn't feel right to me. That's what I hated about the BC Rich and why cheap guitars(even if they cost a decent amount of money anyway like the one I had did) aren't something I'll bother with again. Ibanez is a bit of an exception though.

This is why I like Ibanez so much, the neck plays like butter, doesn't fret out, and is a bolt on, so I can hot rod it with other Ibby necks if I want.

Some Edge trems can be swapped for OFR's aswell, which is a great thing.

They play well enough for my tastes.

Back