BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Reboot

Could be good. I tried to re watch buffy which I loved back in the day and personally I found it didn’t hold up. I just hated the way it looked and a lot of the dialogue. The plots were cool though and it had some good ideas. Gave me some nice 90’s nostalgia but still felt kind of like “saved by the bell goes horror”

A modern refresh might help make the show better. Doesn’t really matter the race of the actress imo as long as it’s a GOOD actress and I hope they don’t make her race the central theme of the show. Just let her be a character.

Not sure what you mean by that.

Are you aware of the term White Washing which has been a mainstay of Hollywood for decades where they take ethnic characters in fiction or non fiction stories and replace them with white characters to appeal to a mostly white male audience?

Are you familiar with the term a White Saviour where they insert a random White character in an ethnic story line (Cruise, Samurai, Damon, The Wall, etc) to appeal to mostly white male audience?

The political correctness is and has always been directed mostly at white males who comprise the bulk of the viewing audience and that is ok because they do. But that audience is changing and so to is the pandering. It is now shifting to include more ethnics and females.

Shouldn't it be that way or should it only male white be the recipient of political correctness and pandering?

Not trying to isolate you specifically with this question but more so the almost expected outcry anytime that pandering is not to white males.
You have some good points.

But my point wasn't strictly race related though. It was more about how they try to force political correctness these days. That's why I named movies where they replaced the male cast with an entire female crew. Same goes with homosexuals, transgenders etc...

I don't know, it just feels like they've been trying to shove these things down people's throats in the last few years.

Or maybe they are just trying to grab a new market like someone else has mentionned.

Gave me some nice 90’s nostalgia but still felt kind of like “saved by the bell goes horror”

2ujs9cl.jpg

Joss Whedon is a hack.

I think this is a pretty interesting approach.

They seem to have realized that making a straightforward reboot of the original show simply would not have worked because the comparisons would simply overwhelm it. There is no way to live up to the nostalgia.

The only chace they have to make it work is to strip the premise down to the bare bones and start from scratch with that:
  • Pretty petite high school girl named Buffy.
  • She’s the Slayer.
  • She has an adult who mentors her.
  • She has friends who help her.
And that is it. Come up with everything new from there.

You simply can’t remake that show. But you can take the premise and start over.

I'm calling it now, she will have an asian friend and a gay friend and probably a tranny friend

fuck you hollywood. I HATE this politically correct climate we're in these days it's bullshit

The original series was pretty definitive. I doubt this will add anything of value.

IMO that rumour of a Blade TV series with his daughter in high school was where they should have gone with this.

You know, I wouldn’t mind at all if they did an open casting call and just happened to cast a black actress as Buffy. But the fact that they’re specifically only opening the casting to black actresses irks me the wrong way.

This garbage isnt going to be Buffy. Won't watch.
Should have done Angel season 6 instead.

You have some good points.

But my point wasn't strictly race related though. It was more about how they try to force political correctness these days. That's why I named movies where they replaced the male cast with an entire female crew. Same goes with homosexuals, transgenders etc...

I don't know, it just feels like they've been trying to shove these things down people's throats in the last few years.

Or maybe they are just trying to grab a new market like someone else has mentionned.
Yes that is exactly what it is.

Women go out more as groups each and every year. Ethics are bigger and bigger part of the buying audience. Chinese dollars over seas are a big part of the box office.

Hollywood gonna do what Hollywood has always done and that is pander to try and make money. Now that pandering is just starting to shift to those other groups when prior it was almost 99% directed at white males like most media was.

Why do you think you have so many average looking husbands on TV shows with hot wives? They are pandering to the male audience. Comic book female hero's who make barbie look boring? Pandering to the male audience.

Its certainly nothing new. It is shifting however.

I did get hooked on the original... & even the Angel spinoff... but I'm like "been there & done that" & I'm pretty spent at this point.

200.gif

Would be interested to see youtube clips of Gellar cameoz though. :p They could do some fun stuff with that which might make it interesting. Like the burden has moved on & now Gellar is free to live her life but she can never truly be all the way out or something. or maybe she's a watcher or something. I dunno... lots of fun stuff they could do to add her in.

Whedon and Co obviously got some racist and sexist skeletons in the closet so they're sacrificing one of their most beloved creations to the social justice gods. I know how it is because I just had to cast a black woman to play me in my biopic

I'm calling it now, she will have an asian friend and a gay friend and probably a tranny friend

fuck you hollywood. I HATE this politically correct climate we're in these days it's bullshit
She had a gay friend in the original,

Back