Buffy the Vampire Slayer 20th Anniversary Reunion

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Cast Reunites for 20th Anniversary

000252735_217862398647.jpg

Into every generation, a Slayer is born and with her a TV series that pierces pop culture like a stake through the heart. Over the course of its seven-season run (all of which are now available on Hulu), Buffy the Vampire Slayer garnered one of the most loyal fandoms in television history, thanks to its unlikely but oddly seamless blend of genres (horror! comedy! teen soap! tragedy! musical?!?) and one of the most unique heroines ever seen on screen.

The series followed bloodsucker-hunter Buffy Summers as she navigated the horrors of Sunnydale High, both real (being the new kid, finding a date to the prom) and supernatural (snake monsters, hyena people). “It’s the ultimate metaphor: horrors of adolescence manifesting through these actual monsters,” says star Sarah Michelle Gellar. “It’s the hardest time of life.”

000252705_89932798342.jpg

Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy Summers)

000252736_89237692834.jpg

David Boreanaz (Angel)

Adds David Boreanaz, who played Buffy’s vampire paramour Angel, “When you’re going through a really horrible part of your life, like your teenage years, you feel alone. And Buffy was a way to tell the audience you’re not alone.” Emma Caulfield, who played bunny-phobic former demon Anya, echoes Boreanaz: “It just touched on really basic human emotions, like a life blueprint. ‘I don’t have any friends. I feel isolated.’ Those sort of core human emotions.”

In honor of Buffy the Vampire Slayer turning 20 years old (and still looking damn good), EW reunited the cast and creator Joss Whedon for their first joint interview and photo shoot in over a decade. “This is surreal,” says Whedon. “For the most part, this is like a high school reunion but much worse because they all still look really great. I was hoping some of them would puff out a bit. But that did not take place.”

000253119_89237494739082.jpg

James Marsters (Spike)

000252678_8921392348.jpg

Alyson Hannigan (Willow Rosenberg)

000252662_832423403.jpg

Nicholas Brendon (Xander Harris)

In between shots, the actors shared photos of their kids with castmates and caught up on life post-Sunnydale. “I make an excellent macaroni casserole if anyone’s interested in doing a potluck,” jokes Seth Green, who played dry-humored musician (and werewolf) Oz.

And like most high school reunions, amid all the fun, a sense of reflection washed over the participants. “It was the role of a lifetime,” says Alyson Hannigan, who played Willow. “I met the love of my life [costar Alexis Denisof, who played timid Watcher Wesley]. And just to get to go to work every day and have Joss sort of train me — I’ll never have a better experience than that.”

000252714_2836328946.jpg

Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia Chase)

000252708_23823487342.jpg

Emma Caulfield (Anya)

000252710_39762394732.jpg

Amber Benson (Tara), Alyson Hannigan (Willow), and Seth Green (Oz)

But it’s Gellar, who played the title role from 1997 to 2003, who encapsulates the moment they’re all experiencing: “I’m so incredibly proud of what we all created. Sometimes you need distance to really understand the gravitas of that. I appreciate everything about that job. As an actor, all you ever want to do is leave your mark — you want to do something that affects people.”

And, for those who made Buffy and love it so much, it’s become more than just a television show. “The most important thing to me is that I have had people come up to me and say the show made me feel different about what they could be, about what they could do, about how they respond to problems, about being a female leader,” says Whedon. “People getting strength from my own little terrors is… There is no better legacy than that.”

000252715_278364328.jpg

Alexis Denisof (Wesley Wyndam-Pryce)

080706579586r45.jpg

Amber Benson (Tara Maclay)

9072987637846t0583.jpg

Seth Green (Daniel "Oz" Osbourne)

000252713_87232340.jpg

Kristine Sutherland (Joyce Summers)

000252707_27186382.jpg

Michelle Trachtenberg (Dawn Summers)

769575975968.jpg

Michelle Trachtenberg (Dawn), Kristine Sutherland (Joyce), and Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy)

000253158_82173293.jpg

Painting of Anthony Stewart Head (Giles)

ew1460_sarah_6732783627323.jpg

ew1460_sarah_james_8021792332982.jpg

ew1460_david_827197432389.jpg

http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/29/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-reunion-ew-cover/

Amazing series (except for season one), one of my favorite shows ever. Seasons 2 and 3 were the best. Lots of terrific episodes throughout its run with "The Body" being my best episode ever in television.

@Loiosh @fingercuffs @Nonsense Anybody else a fan of the show or Angel?

Might have to reopen the Buffy/Faith spank bank in honor of this.

i should rewatch on netflix, The Body and Hush are probably my favorite eps.

Amazing series (except for season one), one of my favorite shows ever. Seasons 2 and 3 were the best. Lots of terrific episodes throughout its run with "The Body" being my best episode ever in television.

Once More With Feeling!!!!!! Best TV episode ever. the Body and Hush are amazing too. My daughter and I have watched OMWF probably ten times in the past week.

Yes, got into Angel in the later seasons and absolutely loved it. What happened to Fred broke my heart and gave me an existential crisis.

Once More With Feeling!!!!!! Best TV episode ever. the Body and Hush are amazing too. My daughter and I have watched OMWF probably ten times in the past week.

Yes, got into Angel in the later seasons and absolutely loved it. What happened to Fred broke my heart and gave me an existential crisis.

I feel so old - this was one of my favorite shows as a teen. I can't believe it has been 20 years already.

With that being said, Angel was the better of the two series. Buffy kind of fell off towards the later seasons, but Angel was quality throughout (it was a shame it was cancelled)

Damn, they all still look pretty good 20 years on. Strong nostalgia feels on this one...

Me. Didn't get into it until season 4 (read an article about Hush). Loved Buffy, kinda 'meh on Angel, mostly due to Boreanaz being a fairly mediocre actor.

One of the best shows of all time. I ended up preferring Angel a little bit, especially Angel season 5, but Buffy was and always be a favorite of mine. It's just so unique.

The Body is seriously one of the greatest episodes of any tv show you will ever see. It's fucked up.

Posted this in the TV thread.

BtVS was extraordinary.

It was next-level television, one of my favorite shows of all time.

It's one of the reasons I can't watch any of this young adult garbage they're making now. No, wait, I mean always made. BtVS was better on every level and you absolutely believed the relationships between the characters.

It's a shame it happened when it did with such a tiny budget. They wouldn't have had so many cheap MotW episodes which I'm sure kept a lot of viewers away. Whedon is an incredible storyteller and the stuff he wrote for BtVS, I just don't have the words.

You know who does, though?

I've watched the show through maybe a half dozen times. Once, I went to read a review on iMDB on an episode I had just watched and found a great, detailed review. I found that the reviewer had written a review for every episode of the series. So, I would watch an episode, think about it, and go to check her review. Her iMDB name is katierose295, she has a Master of Arts in Literature, and was an even bigger fan than me. I would wait until I felt my thoughts on an episode would be worthy of comparing to what she had written, that's how much I respected what she was writing. If it had been possible to send her a message, I would have thanked her for her spectacular contributions. After Buffy, she continued writing reviews for Angel and then Supernatural. Pretty sure I was meant to marry this woman.

The only thing about the dance is, you never get to stop. Everyday you wake up, it's the same bloody question that haunts you. Is today the day I die? Death is on your heels, baby, and sooner or later it's gonna catch you. And part of you wants it... not only to stop the fear and uncertainty, but because you're just a little bit in love with it. Death is your art. You make it with your hands, day after day. That final gasp. That look of peace. Part of you is desperate to know, what's it like? Where does it lead you? And now you see, that's the secret. Not the punch you didn't throw or the kicks you didn't land. She merely wanted it. Every Slayer... has a death wish. Even you. The only reason you've lasted as long as you have is you've got ties to the world. Your mum, brat kid sister, Scoobies. They all tie you here but you're just puttin' off the inevitable. Sooner or later, you're gonna want it. And the second - the second that happens, you know I'll be there. I'll slip in. Have myself a real good day. Here endeth the lesson. I just wonder if you'll like it as much as she did.

What happened to Fred broke my heart and gave me an existential crisis.

You know what crushed me?

When Wesley was dying, and Illyria asked him if he wanted her to lie to him now, and he said "yes please", and she slipped into the Fred guise.

Last edited:
I love this show more than I would ever admit. The Scooby Gang will always hold a special place in my heart. I'm glad to know that other people appreciate it as much as I did.

I love this show more than I would ever admit. The Scooby Gang will always hold a special place in my heart. I'm glad to know that other people appreciate it as much as I did.

Uh, I do remember what I said. The promise... to protect her. If I'da done that... even if I didn't make it... you wouldn't have had to jump. But I want you to know I did save you. Not when it counted, of course, but, after that. Every night after that. I'd see it all again... I do something different. Faster or more clever, you know? Dozens of times, lots of different ways... Every night I save you.

Where the fuck was Giles?

Edit: just looked it up a play in London

Fav episode!

(damn I still know the fucking words)

noice
that show had some babes schwing.
pretty cool that Netflix has buffy now and angel.

very trippy watching it on a 50" Led with high speed wifi.

I used to use a 19" CRT tv in 1997 with bunny ear antenna I used to have to keep adjusting because WB/CW had a shitty signal.

I going to go have a nostalgia fap to 1997 sarah michelle and charisma carpenter.

michelle Trachtenberg was the only one actually of the age of a high school student when she was on buffy.

Back