Budgeting for home gym

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by HockeyBjj, Jun 30, 2017.

1. HockeyBjj Putting on the foil

HockeyBjj
    Wife and I are looking to move out of our apartment and into a rental hosue. Student loan amounts won't really let us buy a home for a while, plus we're not sure yet on where we'll settle down as we often talk about moving states. Anyways, one thing both of us want is a basement area of this house to put a home gym into. She brought it up first and I was ecstatic. We plan on doing this piece by piece as we get the money or something goes on sale on craigslist for cheap that fits a need

I used the search function, but a lot of the threads were very old and didn't answer all my questions

1) A squat rack and bench, along with building a deadlift platform, are the key pieces I'm looking to add first off. Is the best way to get an affordable one to keep searching craigslist for someone to sell? Or should I look at new options?

This one exists on Walmart for $200, or is it a death trap?
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/FITNESS-...ge-800-lb-Weight-Capacity/55351546#about-item

2) What's the most cost effective plate weight arrangement to get? This looks like an area where being smart can save a couple hundred dollars. From my looking at is, a pair of 100 pound, 45, 25, 2 10s, 2 5s, and a 2.5 I think will get me every combination of weights up to 450 pounds. Am I right on this and it being the cheapest way to get the needed weight to deadlift? Can skip the 100s at first and get usable bench and squat amounts. then buy 100s, and then Once I get deadlift rep passed 450 that as I don't want to max home alone, I can see about adding another set of 45s

3) Dumbells. One of those varying dumbbell kits like bowflex has are like ~$270 and goes up to 52.5 pounds. Get one of those and then a single set of like 70s for heavier things? Those dumbells get incredibly expensive to get more weight options for and I'm wondering if this would be best routs. Those 70s are close to $140 and then another 150+ to add in 80s or have 60s around there. Gets hard to have options at heavier weight.

4) Any other home gym must haves?

Once we get a house, we will be buying these things in pieces. First thing wife wants is simply a TV with a chromecast downstairs with a yoga mat for her home workout. Easy enough, we never use the one in the bedroom now anyway after she moved in. Next would likely be either the dumbells and a bench or the squat rack, bench and weights. Then maybe an exercise bike as she had knee surgery and it helps her, and I may use it occasionally in winter when I can't run and want some dreaded cardio. Then the dumbels

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  2. Oblivian Aging

Oblivian
    For deadlift platform, just use horse stall mats. It's much cheaper and portable.

Always keep an eye for weights, but I bought a lot of mine new from a discount sporting goods store. At that time, I was able to get a 300 lbs set for $150. I think they've gone up a bit though - around $200 if I'm not mistaken.

For rack, I bought new. A sumo rack from New York Barbells. It was around $350 if I remember right. I had a ceiling height issue at that time.

For dumbbells, just buy olympic dumbbell handles.

Torrid likes this.
  3. HockeyBjj Putting on the foil

HockeyBjj
    Thanks for the advice, especially the horse mats to make the platform easy. And I honestly never thought of 2" dumbbell handles. Then I can just use the money and get more 10s, 5s, and 2.5s and that weight serves two purposes. Thanks honestly never thought of that as an option. That's why I asked in the forum to see what advice from those that had done it before had. Cheers

4. fbmmofo Blue Belt

fbmmofo
    Second the horse stall matts and dumbbell handles. Got both In my home gym. Something to think about with the DB handles is to get any sort of decent weight on there you need a load of smaller plates. I find them difficult to use with anything over 5kg plates (10ish IBS).

Everyone talks about buying second hand which will obviously be cheaper, I don't know what it's like in merica but in uk all the home gym stuff seems to go really quick or bids go up high.

I bought a package which had 300Ibs of weight, bench and power rack. That got me started and I've just added bits as and when I needed or had the money.

5. LatFlare EADC

LatFlare
    i had a squat rack almost identical to the one in that link. it was kind of unstable particularly when doing pullups i would have to put weights on the bottom to stop it tipping over. if i was going to build a home gym again i would find a way to get a solid professional piece of kit second hand from a gym or dealer or something, which is heavy will neve fall over and you can attach dip bars etc to

HockeyBjj likes this.
  6. Fahcough Brown Belt

Fahcough
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  7. PUO3 You are a can.

PUO3
    I got a tuff stuff cage w/pull up bar, a rogue eco bar, 400lbs of weights, an adjustable bench, and a plate tree, for $800 through Craigslist. I got the rubber mats at a local tractor supply for $30. Picked up some old school adjustable iron dumbbells and around 150lbs of weights through craigslist for less than $100.

I had a set of those bowflex adjustables and they were dog shit imo. One of them stopped picking up the weights I selected on the dial and they arent comfortable grips anyway.

Do you have a "play it again sports" store or anything similar near you? They often have really good deals on nice equipment.

8. MilkManUK Brown Belt

MilkManUK
    A couple of years ago I started purchasing items for my home (backgarden) gym. I managed to get most items via clearance sections abd on sale specials. I got an Olympic bar which was used / ex-demo for £79 I think, where it would normally retail for £230. My bench was made slightly mis-aligned, so I got it new for £35 and it's absolutely fine, better than the bench at the commercial gym at my work. I got a squat rack / stand setup similar to @Flash_Monsta for less than £100 and to date it has done the job. The bulk of the costs has been on the weights themselves as @fbmmofo stated, couldn't seem to get any decent second hand bargains so bought new but waited for sales / discount codes. I'll probably need to buy some more plates soon, but you can definitely get started with the basics and just add over time as and when needed.

Probably one of the best uses of my money I've ever made.

9. deadshot138 Brown Belt

deadshot138
    Don't skimp on a barbell, whatever you do

Fahcough likes this.
  10. ThunderL1ps Black Belt

ThunderL1ps
    Try to buy what you can used. If you're saving for a house, you should be trying to save where you can. It all adds up. You may even luck out and get something really good from someone that just wants to rid themselves of equipment they don't have the use or space for anymore.

11. deadshot138 Brown Belt

deadshot138
    For 460 bucks you can get a squat rack rated at 1000lbs and a utility bench that can supposedly hold "a tank"

12. Phlog Black Belt

Phlog
    I managed to get a power rack good for 300kilos for £200, an Olympic weight set and you're pretty much good to go. You can add as you go.

13. ASUThermo Wide Right: ╚╦╝ ○

ASUThermo
    That WalMart rack doesn't look bad. The Horse Stall mats from Tractor Supply are the way to go, for deadlift and cleans I have two layed out on plywood. I have the Rogue bar and Ohio Power bar, Rogue bar is great for everything, OPB is great for powerlifting. I picked up 8 45's from Rogue and got a good deal on 2 45's, 35's, 25's, 10,s, 5's and 2.5's from Let Go. You could probably get all of your weight second hand if you are patient and can wait.

I went with the following from Titan. At the time every item was cheaper and I picked them up on Black Friday and had like 15% off. I was able to make a lat pull off of the rack for about 40-50 bucks of material, and some scrap wood I had lying around.

Titan T-3 Rack
    Back Extension
    Dumbbells
    Bench

14. cberasi Green Belt

cberasi
    I just put a gym in the utility room in my basement after lifting in commercial gyms & ymcas up until now as it just became too crowded. So easy to get off work and know the equipment you need will be open and available rather than battling the crowd, not too mention all the other conveniences being able to workout at home provides. This is what I bought:

($300 + $90 + $275) Olympic Weights & Bar: I would make sure you get 2" diameter olympic sized plates, non-hexagonal design & would just shop on Craigslist as stuff pops up frequently and there really isn't much reason to pay retail price. The market seems to be $0.50/lb for olympic plates so if they are charging more I would wait for a better offer b/c they are overcharging.
    ($300) Off Craigslist for $300 I got 600 lbs of weights, 1 standard 7' olympic bar, 2 adjustable dumbbell handles, 1 rack tree, 4 collars. All the plates were of barbell brand and in good condition. 600lbs was comprised of (4) 45, (4) 35, (4) 25, (12) 10, (10) 5, (4) 2.5. I wanted 600lbs of capacity but this distribution was overkill, I just rushed as it was the first thing I bought when I decided to start building a home gym, saw the deal on craigslist, liked the price and that all of the plates were the same brand and figured the assortment of smaller plates would be good for building to highter weights on the adjustable dumbbells. I jumped on it thinking these deals don't pop up that frequently but from what I have seen they do and it's easy to package stuff together to get where you want eventually. If I were to do it again I would only get a pair of everything 35 & under and then 8+ 45's depending on the weight you will be using.
    ($90) I bought 4 more 45lb barbell plates at $0.50/lb to give me a total of 8 with the 4 I bought above.
    ($275) I bought the Rogue Ohio Power Bar as I wanted a nice barbell and this one best met my needs. Up to you if you think a good barbell is worth it or not.
    http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-ohio-power-bar

($220) Power Rack:
    www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UMM4QC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The one I got is currently unavailable but it was only $219.99 (link above), rated to hold 1000lb capacity. There are a lot of similar models available on Amazon as well. It has held up fine for me and I have been using weights associated with 3/4/5 plate Bench/Squat/Deadlift numbers on these lifts as well as auxiliary lifts for each. The one thing I would do different is get a rack with a larger width in between the front and back beams if the price jump isn't significant. I feel a little cramped with the 26" spacing doing squats inside the rack and have been looking for spotter arms to put on the front lately so I can squat outside the rack without having to drop the weight if I miss, although I do have my rack on a platform so dropping the weight is an option. I have heard good things about the titan T-3 that someone linked above I believe.

($125) Flat Bench:
    www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NLPZGU0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    You don't want to go too cheap as you want it to be sturdy and durable. I got this one, it meets all standard competition dimensions and is very stable. Worth the price IMO when you consider you will be using it weekly for multiple years

($0.50/lb 0-50 lb pairs, $0.60/lb 55+ pairs) Dumbbells:
    I'm not a fan of using the adjustable dumbbells like I thought I would upon initially getting them as standard collars slide off of them so you have to get clamp style, it is hard to use plates bigger than 25 on them as they get in the way though out the ROM of whatever exercise you are doing, and the pain of having to load them each time. Due to this I decided to go from 0-100 lb dumbbells in 10 lb intervals to minimize cost. I ended up going 5-95 as this was the 10 lb intervals I found on craigslist. The pricing I found was that listed above.

($250) Lifting Platform:
    I built this platform: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2016/09/15/how-to-build-a-weight-lifting-platform/
    It was ~$250 for (2) 4'x6'x3/4" horse stall mats, (4) 4'x8'x3/4" MDF board, (1) 4'x'8'x3/4" Oak. You could always only use horse stall mats rather than building a platform but I preferred this to put my rack on and I didn't want to be doing deadlifts or any other olympic lifts with only 3/4" horse stall mats between me and the ground, although this may work, dunno.

Other Miscellaneous Costs:
    ($80) (2) 4'x6'x3/4" horse stall mats I bought to put next to my platform to form a 8'x6' area for an adjustable bench, dumbell exercises, kettlebell, foam rolling, etc...
    ($20) 2 pairs of locking collar clamps as I like these more than the squeeze grip collars.
    www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X9OHZU2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That was the foundation. I don't envision buying anything else as there are plenty of exercises you can do with a barbell, power rack, bench, dumbbells depending on where you are at in your lifting goals. The rest has just been personalization from there or minimal cost things I already had such as bands, foam rollers, jump rope, etc. that were easy to hang up and throw on the wall. I think its worth the $1000-$1500 spent as I will be using it for the foreseeable future, kids will be able to use it once they start growing up, and needing to go to the gym after work doesn't weigh on my mind anymore as there is no crowds to deal with or waits for bench/racks/platforms + the added convenience of being able to do other things around the house you need to get done in between sets if you are cramped for time on any day. And no travel time to and from gym. And you can where whatever you want when you lift!

15. Fahcough Brown Belt

Fahcough
    That X Dip bar attachment for $4# is nice looking. Good link

16. MeatPlow Orange Belt

MeatPlow
    Fahcough,

Just replied to you in my thread on the building. You had a nice looking setup right there. Sucks that you lost it. I'd look into the insulated panel buildings. The guys that built mine told me that had built one somewhere down south and the area got hit by a tornado. They said the building took some damage but stayed in tact and just rolled over and over. They're tuff thats for sure.

Fahcough likes this.
  17. boingyman Green Belt

boingyman
    Get most things used or when there's a deal and just get the basics, rack, a good bar, free weight. If you can find used powerblocks that go up to 90# that thing saves space, although can be pricey. I wish I had a basement, but where I live a basement is a rarity. My dream was making a 3rd garage (ideally tandem 3rd garage) a home gym, but we just bought another house recently that was only a 2 car garage again. Oh well I have a full size gym facility where I work that I can train for free and it has more than everything I need.

18. Tiago White Belt

Tiago
    I would go for sandbags and kettlebells instead of dumbells. It obviously depends what you want to train for...

19. MMouse Brown Belt

MMouse
    how much does a shed generally costs? I'm looking to add one too my future backyard

20. Fahcough Brown Belt

Fahcough
    Built on site seems to be cheaper than a drop off.
    probably looking 4-8K depending on size

Unless you mean having a steel building erected, then you're looking 5 figures