Buddy Rich on Drumming And More

Chesten_Hesten

Greatness isn't Stoked by Compliments.
@Gold
Reaction score

Cursing!

Neil Peart & The Buddy Rich Big Band: Drum Solo - Cotton Tail - 1991

Some Documentary

I played drums at school ,but have not really played in a long ass time, but buddy rich was the man.
and stuart copeland from the police, 2 orginal and innvative drummers.
everyone gots to peart, and he is one of the best ever, but i also love portnoy, he is off the hook..
must mention ghrol, the boy can play too for sure..

Mel Torme wrote a biography about him
TRAPS, THE DRUM WONDER
The Life of Buddy Rich

Did anyone else catch in the first vid, at the end of 1:22 when he misses a cymbal hits his finger on the edge of a tom? He swears right after. I like how they kept that in, even the best drummers mess up sometimes

I've been drumming for the better half of 25 years and Buddy is right up at the top of my list.

Another old-school drummer I take inspiration from is Jim Chapin, this man was incredible on the kit.

Since December of last year I've began incorporating drum rudiments (e.g., single/double paradiddles, flams, pataflaflas, drag ruff, etc.) into my playing and it has been challenging but rewarding. More tools to express myself with.

With that being said I am going to share this video of Jeff Queen performing his 1994 Blue Knights DCI 1st place snare solo "Tribute". This is Jeff performing it around 2009 with audio commentary by him.

Lots to be explored here:

Thanks for sharing the great videos.

Did anyone else catch in the first vid, at the end of 1:22 when he misses a cymbal hits his finger on the edge of a tom? He swears right after. I like how they kept that in, even the best drummers mess up sometimes

What I find interesting is that if he hadn't paused and went "Ahh, Shit!" most would have never known anything had happened and thought the rim shot was on purpose and not a cymbal miss. Ha!

I've been drumming for the better half of 25 years and Buddy is right up at the top of my list.

Another old-school drummer I take inspiration from is Jim Chapin, this man was incredible on the kit.

Since December of last year I've began incorporating drum rudiments (e.g., single/double paradiddles, flams, pataflaflas, drag ruff, etc.) into my playing and it has been challenging but rewarding. More tools to express myself with.

With that being said I am going to share this video of Jeff Queen performing his 1994 Blue Knights DCI 1st place snare solo "Tribute". This is Jeff performing it around 2009 with audio commentary by him.

Lots to be explored here:

Thanks for sharing the great videos.

I was lucky enough to get two 1 hour private lessons with Jim back in the late 90s. Jim was great and he was quite colorful. However my absolute favorite drumming personality is Purdie hands down.

I was lucky enough to get two 1 hour private lessons with Jim back in the late 90s. Jim was great and he was quite colorful. However my absolute favorite drumming personality is Purdie hands down.

Wow, that's fantastic. I'd of felt a tad intimidated around the guy if I'd of got some private lessons with him. No fault of his own I'm sure but when you're around masterful people it's difficult not to feel inadequate to some degree.

Yes! Purdie cracks me up and makes me smile. He seems so happy all the time and that's good to see someone who really enjoys what they do that much even after all the years of having done it.

Wow, that's fantastic. I'd of felt a tad intimidated around the guy if I'd of got some private lessons with him. No fault of his own I'm sure but when you're around masterful people it's difficult not to fell inadequate to some degree.

Yes! Purdie cracks me up and makes me smile. He seems so happy all the time and that's good to see someone who really enjoys what they do that much even after all the years of having done it.
I was very intimidated by Jim. He is a large dude too. I walked into the small practice room and closed the door and there was Jim playing a very fast single stroke roll with just his left hand. He pointed to me with his right hand, still keeping the roll with his left, and said.
"I am old you are young. You can't do this and I can. Why am I so much faster than you?"
I sat down and kept my mouth shut while he dropped knowledge.

I was very intimidated by Jim. He is a large dude too. I walked into the small practice room and closed the door and there was Jim playing a very fast single stroke roll with just his left hand. He pointed to me with his right hand, still keeping the roll with his left, and said.
"I am old you are young. You can't do this and I can. Why am I so much faster than you?"
I sat down and kept my mouth shut while he dropped knowledge.

LMAO, yeah that's all you could do in that situation.

Did you ever get as fast as him on that single stroke?

Back