"Buakaw was an anomaly"

There are bad posters everywhere. Its even more rampant in the UFC discussion. I think its just the norm over there since the MT/KB sub forum has low activity. Well, I just started MT/KB so thats why I'm here. I was mostly in stand up and ufc discussion.

But lets be honest here. Buakaw isn't that good. His strikes lack power and he has this weird crunch to this guard. I don't know. There is something not right about his stand up.
OK...

So how do you explain all of the guys that he's finished? How do you explain two K-1 Max Tournament wins, amongst many other accolades in Kickboxing and Muay Thai? Something is clearly right about his stand-up, regardless of whether you like his style or not.

OK...

So how do you explain all of the guys that he's finished? How do you explain two K-1 Max Tournament wins, amongst many other accolades in Kickboxing and Muay Thai? Something is clearly right about his stand-up, regardless of whether you like his style or not.

The guys he fought were stupid. Masato should have just walked through Buakaw's weak kicks. What an idiot

JFqhatK.gif

Yep. Masato failed boxing and had to jump on a new hobby. He is not talented and looks too stiff. His mind was too rigid that he couldn't adjust. Sometimes, I wish I could possess these fighters and be in control of their bodies. I would've caught buakaw's teeps. Angle my stance. The reason Masato was getting teeped like a ragdoll in the gif was because he walked thru buakaw's kicks.

I'm sure you would be GOAT if you weren't constrained by your 13 year old body.

I swear we get one troll banned and another fills the role. May be the same dipshit. Don't these losers have something better to do with their time?

DanTat must be Payak. He sounds Australian and is talking about 13 year old Thais.

Oh yeah.

A few? I would guess that most of Sawamura's fights were fixed (or against utterly crap opposition). By the time he was on TV, he had a fight on a weekly basis. While never proven, its commonly thought that a ton of those fights were set up so he can get through easily and keep getting TV broadtime

A common tale is that in one of his fights, a ringside fan yelled at him to "stop faking!"

I'm quite a big fan of professional wrestling, and two of my favourite wrestlers (Kenta and Shinsuke Nakamura) do those exact running flying kicks. Now, they land the faked moves really well and they generally look quite real, but a lot of Sawamura's strikes look like convincing fakes rather than proper knockout blows.

I'd like to believe that he was some badass with the highest knockout percentage in combat sports... but I'm very doubtful.

Last edited:
k-1 max has poor quality fighters. No doubt Buakaw can plow through them. Even then, he didn't get much KOs. He got KOed by a japanese fighter I believe. Someone like Yodsanklai can do way better. i believe Buakaw was scared to fight him at some point and he was also scared of Giorgio.

mate im just a casual kickboxing fan ever since K1 got sold but even I know that Buakaw fought Giorgio to a draw, and yes he got KOd by Yoshihiro Sato, he also beat Sato 3 times and thats a very good fighter.

Well, I just started MT/KB so thats why I'm here.

But lets be honest here. Buakaw isn't that good. His strikes lack power and he has this weird crunch to this guard. I don't know. There is something not right about his stand up.

OK...

k-1 max has poor quality fighters. No doubt Buakaw can plow through them. Even then, he didn't get much KOs. He got KOed by a japanese fighter I believe. Someone like Yodsanklai can do way better. i believe Buakaw was scared to fight him at some point and he was also scared of Giorgio.
lol, you come on to enlighten us about Buakaw's abilities and can't name the ONE fighter to KO him, who he has actually beat twice. His name is Yoshiro Sato, by the way. And beating Kraus, Souwer, and Masato don't remotely qualify as 'poor quality fighters'.

I think uakaw is overrated by ignorant muay thai fans who think he is GOAT but maybe also underrated by hardcore fans. He has wins over Sagadpetch, Samranchai, Nontachai etc, not exactly a bum like some people make it appear.

Yodsanklai is more accomplished in muay thai but were their skill levels really that different?

And also, talking about the "muay thai fighters adapting to kickboxing topic". Superbon definitely had to switch up his training to improve his kickboxing skills. With that being said he can still exploit kickboxers with his knees and kicks.

People often like to talk about Thais and how they adapt to kickboxing as if it is some great struggle. Like Muay Thai fighters are flocking to kickboxing and showing up as massive failures. But Given the number of Thais who have had a real shot in kickboxing, it's impressive what they've done.

Buakaw was the consensus #1 P4P kickboxer in the world.
Sitthichai is regarded by many as the #1 kickboxer in the world.
Kaew is regarded as a top 3 kickboxer in the world and some say #1.

How many kickboxers have ever been top 100 P4P fighters in Muay Thai? None?

because

1. Thai judges are corrupt and exercise extreme favoritism towards Thai fighters

and most importantly

2. The scoring discourages good punchers and good footwork

in reality MT is a joke and that's why its Dutch cousin is used as a striking base for successful MMA strikers and why traditional MT fighters get decimated in MMA competition. it's also why Thailand is desperate to keep MMA from going mainstream in their country. They realize their fighters would get smoked and the aura surrounding traditional MT would be forever gone (along with tourist bucks from dumbass wannabe tough guy foreigners who go there to train)

because

1. Thai judges are corrupt and exercise extreme favoritism towards Thai fighters

and most importantly

2. The scoring discourages good punchers and good footwork

in reality MT is a joke and that's why its Dutch cousin is used as a striking base for successful MMA strikers and why traditional MT fighters get decimated in MMA competition. it's also why Thailand is desperate to keep MMA from going mainstream in their country. They realize their fighters would get smoked and the aura surrounding traditional MT would be forever gone (along with tourist bucks from dumbass wannabe tough guy foreigners who go there to train)
Either you're trolling or extremely ignorant. The judging in high level muay thai bouts in Thailand is probably one of the most just in all combat sports. Anyone that follows the muay thai scene closely knows this. Kickboxing on the other hand is known for nationalism and robberies.

You're free to show me a fight where the obvious loser got the win in a high level lumpinee/rajadamnern bout. We will pick apart your arguments and prove you wrong.

THREAD NEEDS GIFS!
HOTORA TO THE RESCUE!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

In the past few years I've read this being said by many posters, but during that era I often dismissed this idea and was assured that since Buakaw wasn't necessarily top class in the Thai circuits there were better Thais than Buakaw that could've done better under K1 rules at the time (Namsaknoi, Anuwat, Yodsaenklai, Samkor etc).

Now I'm looking back at videos of his run through K1 MAX 10 years ago, and there might be some truth to it:

1. He actually had very sharp boxing and reflexes, he just wasn't a power puncher (i.e. Zambidis) and he didn't focus on the punch KO, but when he was confronted with a punch exchange regardless of range he gave as good as he got. He beat both Andy Souwer and Zambidis within punching range in a few exchanges.

2. His kicks were faster than they were powerful (he wasn't Yodsaenklai) and he was light on his feet and mobile laterally as well as in and out, he would often be able to double or triple kick his opponents and move away. He also set up his lowkicks with punches that were actually threatening, almost Dutch style in nature (unlike a lot of Thai fighters who often paw their gloves at your face a bit, then lowkick)

3. He follows up after his teeps with offense instead of hanging back and waiting to teep again, he did use the Thai "lean back" against high kicks from time to time, but more often he preferred to be "in the action" and moving forward, he was unusually aggressive for a Thai fighter. There were always fakes, feints and the threat of getting punched in the face even as he was working his kicks.

4. His clinches and tie-ups were very active, he knew how to clinch up to reset and get out of trouble sports, when he caught your leg/foot he always followed up with an immediate counter combination that didn't "stall the action".

There are many other points that made him the best made "Thai stylist" for K1 rules. Feel free to add some.

I definitely underappreciated Buakaw at the time, but let's be honest, there was a point where he came off as a real douche, which was around the end of his K-1 MAX days.

What are your thoughts on this idea that Buakaw was "not like other Thai fighters."

What other Thai fighters do you think could've adapted just as well to K-1 rules during that era? During this Era?

EDIT: Yes, I know Keaw and Sitthichai are smashing it, but I was thinking more along the lines of orthodox stance fighters, Southpaw is pretty much cheat mode...lol
"Was a douche"? What do you mean? He always seemed sportsmanlike and humble to me...
As for the southpaw stance making things hella easy on Thai fighters... true as hell. Nokweed had an even fight with JLB who was 30-40kg heavier xD all thanks to spamming powerful rear kicks.

And Buakaw? I feel he is one of the few Thai fighters who managed to adapt their Thai style to include foreign influences (more mobile, better boxing, measured kicking). It's like he took the best of Thai Muay Thai (kick power and countering, frame guard, understanding of when to clinch, etc) but didn't just stop there. He kept adding and adding.
Truly a great.

Either you're trolling or extremely ignorant. The judging in high level muay thai bouts in Thailand is probably one of the most just in all combat sports. Anyone that follows the muay thai scene closely knows this. Kickboxing on the other hand is known for nationalism and robberies.

You're free to show me a fight where the obvious loser got the win in a high level lumpinee/rajadamnern bout. We will pick apart your arguments and prove you wrong.
I haven't watched many of his fights, but I've hear Dekkers was cheated a lot in Thailand?

Back