Buakaw training in da gi

Strictly speaking, I believe if Buakaw trains with a legit team, he'll pick up enough to defend takedowns. Speed and having good eyes plays a huge role. Leaping knee strikes alone sort of mentally prepare you for someone rushing at you. You are 100% that the grappling upright stance is different than wrestling, but having wrestled for years myself and competed, I personally think that TDD when trained by good trainers is fairly easier to pick up than learning striking, and lastly, a good athlete can learn the sprawl and needed defense to stave off a grappler. It's all about who is training you and if they drill heavy, shooting doubles, singles, duck unders, hi-c's, low ankle singles, ankle picks, snap downs to clear the entry...

I say Buakaw can adapt fairly quickly contingent on the quality of the camp. A really athletic person with a strong mind can pick up grappling enough to use their striking weapons.

The reverse IMO is harder. Striking takes more time from my perspective.

Worth mentioning, that in an 8limbs article, Sylvie (the site owner) mentioned that Cat Zingano (who was training with Sakmongkol) and her late husband, both tried to take Sakmongkol down for funsies while hanging out with him after training - and neither were able to get him down. Now don't get me wrong, Buakaw isn't as great as Sakmongkol, but it's harder to take a thai down from the clinch than a lot of people realise, because they're used to defending the throws of muay thai.

I agree with some good wrestling experience he'd do well - and I do think he's athletic enough to have a few fun fights

Or maybe he's doing jits because he's a life long martial artist?

Japan has some decent wrestling . Its look like a japanese guy is teaching him bjj.
For some lifelong martial artist he might just want to learn for himself.

Lol. Is he going to do MMA? Also, I can't help but comment on how terrible that shot was. jesus

I would bet that after like 2 years of adaptation to the gi, Buakaw will be better at throwing than most BJJ black belts.

Buakaw has some serious MT throws and sweeps.

I agree, but after being taken down a few times, eating a few masked Tae Kwon Do strikes, I believe Buakaw has the intelligence to adapt accordingly under the assumption his camp is legit.

If he trains in Asia, then yeah, he'll get smashed.

Some of the greatest wrestlers of the past 100 years came from Asia bro.

Heck, arguably America's greatest collegiate wrestler came from Asia.

Buakaw is what mid 30's? Most thai's are holding pads for tourists 5-10 years ago. Mid 30's might not sound old, but he's got a lot of miles on the clock.
If he does train grappling for a year or so, who's going to fight him on his debut? The only guys that would accept the fight are going to be high level grapplers who take him down and sub him or , more likely, cans paid to get crushed. Even if he crushes a few cans, as soon as he gets so a decent size show he'll be late 30's-early 40's and never really been able to build up the level of competition.
He's probably having fun, and maybe take a couple of fights for the experience. Good luck to him

Who is this?

Yojiro Uetake--Oklahoma State's 3-time, undefeated national champion. Don Behm--Olympic silver medalist--is the only person to have scored a takedown on him for the whole of Uetake's collegiate career. He wrestled at a time when freshman were barred from vying for the national title.

Yojiro Uetake--Oklahoma State's 3-time, undefeated national champion. Don Behm--Olympic silver medalist--is the only person to have scored a takedown on him for the whole of Uetake's collegiate career. He wrestled at a time when freshman were barred from vying for the national title.

Cool.
Another badass I'd never heard of.

Amazing. Ironically enough, he wasn't able to compete in judo because he was considered to be too light.

Amazing. Ironically enough, he wasn't able to compete in judo because he was considered to be too light.

Wow, did not know that part of the story. Crazy. That's a real credit to the sport of wrestling.

How I would love to see a thaiboxing fight between Buakaw and macgregor. That would be pure slaughter...But MMA prolly not the best idea for Buakaw.

I have a ton of Judo experience, some MT, and a little bit of Greco, and a fair amount of MMA, and I'd say that the Thai clinch is the closest to MMA only because it's the only one where you have to deal with strikes and potential throws (though obviously a reduced arsenal, and you don't have to worry about your legs at all). The Thai clinch is all about breaking posture and opening up angles to throw knees and elbows, the throws are mostly incidental if you can catch someone off balance or as a counter to a knee. NM do get their hips in very close and worry about keeping inside position and getting underhooks or very strong overhooks because those things are useful for doing damage without taking any, but they worry very little about locking their hands, though there are body lock throws in MT and they're fairly common if guys are slow to drop their hips down when they get out-clinched. Keep in mind too that a low clinch like you'd have in folk is not common in MMA as it will get you kneed, the clinch resembles Greco/MT much more than it does any sort of collar + elbow like you might see in collegiate or freestyle wrestling.

I'd say from a clinching standpoint (that is to say, ignoring the total lack of sprawl or other shot defense) the biggest deficiencies for your average MT guy are going to be a susceptibility to reaping throws and bodylocks of all sorts. You can't reap in MT, and while you can body lock as I mentioned the fact that you're wearing the big gloves makes it hard for the thrower to get a really strong grip, so you can usually stall out to a ref break just by squatting slightly and dropping your weight. I would expect a guy like Buakaw's balance and basic position and handfighting to be pretty good, but he definitely wouldn't be used to some really common MMA clinch techniques like outside trips.

This is a pretty good description of the MT clinch, only thing I could add is these differences are very habit forming and could led to a lot of susceptibility to takedowns from his active clinch, almost better for him to work out, so his style would be limited.

Back