Brutal highlights from Troyanovsky's last fight, wants unification fights

Kovalev's "Man Bag"

Threat Actor
@Silver
Reaction score
Roughly 2 weeks ago he made a mandatory defense of his IBF & IBO Junior Welterweight titles in Moscow against a hard hitting yet clearly overmatched big underdog. He fought the IBF's #3 ranked JWW contender (spots #1 & #2 were NR at the time, still are), Japan's Keita Obara (was 16-1-1 (15)), and knocked him out in the 2nd round after knocking him out of the ring. Obara did have his moment in the first round, however, but not enough to win it. He caught Troya with a right hand after he missed with his own after pulling back (something he was previously doing a lot of, predictably, so Obara capitalized by stepping in with a 1-2). Other than that, he got absolutely manhandled by him when he turned it up hot & heavy from the beginning of round 2. This was Troya's 15th consecutive knockout.

On to the clips (full fight is on YouTube)

Highlights & the finish (after he managed to get back into the ring)

Unfortunately, Troyanovsky (25-0-0 (22)) is 36 years old. He's said that he wants bigger fights (against name fighters, particularly unification fights). He's an undefeated, dangerous and exciting fighter. Other than stopping Cuenca twice (first stoppage was due to a language barrier issue with the ref so they rematched) to take his IBF title and retain it, he hasn't fought any of the current top 10 guys in the division yet. Currently he's ranked #5 by the TBRB & Ring-rated at #5 while BoxRec has him ranked #2.

On title unification fights

Now Troyanovsky feels ready for the big fights and the two boxers on his list are the other division leaders, WBC/WBO champion Terence Crawford and WBA champion Ricky Burns, who is scheduled to make a mandatory defense against Kirill Relikh.

He feels Crawford is likely not interested in fighting him and views Burns as the more probably option.

"I believe Crawford for I'm hardly an interesting contender, despite my titles. He is more interested in meeting with boxers like Manny Pacquiao or someone else," Troyanovsky said.

"As for Ricky Burns, in my opinion this fight is more realistic. He recently became a champion, and I remember that he's always been high in the rankings. And I will say frankly that, in my opinion, he is better suited for me. A lot of fans wrote that Crawford is on another level, and I partially agree with that. Yes, we are at different levels, because I recently became the champion - while both he and Adrien Broner have found themselves in leading positions for a long time and look at who they've boxed - but I'm ready to try my hand. If only I get the opportunity. Whatever the result, I'll know that I tried and did everything in my power. And I'm not sitting on the ground, I'm not hiding, I'm doing my job."
http://www.boxingscene.com/troyanovsky-wants-get-his-hands-on-terence-crawford-burns--108723

Lee Chambers at Top Rank, Crawford's promoter, said that Crawford's team is interested in this fight days ago but didn't specify when (he allegedly already has a date to fight November 12th against TBA).
https://www.rt.com/sport/359759-crawford-troyanovsky-bout-interest

Andrey Ryabinsky, Troya's promoter, had this to say after his fight.

Speaking to RT Sport, Troyanovsky’s promoter, Andrey Ryabinsky, said that the next defense may take Troyanovsky to the West.

“I think we’ve already reached the point to go to Great Britain or America and that we have a very good chance. Recently [Troyanovsky] has come on strongly and I think that he is one of the best boxers in the world at light-welterweight,” Ryabinsky said.

Before the fight, Troyanovsky hinted that he could meet Crawford or Burns if he was victorious against Obara, but Ryabinsky remained tight-lipped when asked if either would be his next opponent.

“I won’t say,” he replied with a smile. “But of course it’s logical that at some point it will be Crawford, because it would be a fantastic idea a fight to unify the titles.”
https://www.rt.com/sport/358908-troyanovsky-obara-knockout-win

Burns once again has a big target on his back (who Crawford already beat a couple years ago at Lightweight for his WBO title) with both champions interested in unifying their titles to try and become undisputed, it seems. Right now Crawford, both the recognized lineal & consensus champ, beats them both, but Troyanovsky is a dangerous skilled fighter. He's much more of a threat to stop you than a Ricky Burns or Viktor Postol, despite his age (his power will be last to go) and thinner resumé. I want to see him in with the other titleholders to see what he's really capable of. Let's hope that he is westward bound after all.

Back