bruised /sore knuckle on heavy bag

XxaemaeThxX

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys, I bruised or did something to my right/jab hand (I'm southpaw) middle knuckle yesterday on the heavy bag . I was using these shitty 12oz Top King SuperStar Air gloves, which are actually genuine leather (~$100 gloves) but the hand compartment is TOO SMALL and cut up my hands/blisters within the 1week that I've had them. Yes, I do wrap my hands with 180 mexican style wraps (the freddy roach/pacquaio style method)

Just got some Ring to Cage 12oz C17 2.0 gloves today and was using them, but my knuckle was so sore that I could barely jab the bag, even lightly with no power, without it hurting super bad.

I probably shouldn't have, but I was super determined and pulled out these 16oz VENOM Elite gloves I had and continued hitting the heavy bag lightly until my hand warmed up a bit and got a lil more numb and then I could hit it pretty easily with no pain.

You guys reckon the fact that the hand compartment being too tight on my Top King gloves caused this? Or could it be they are 12oz gloves with less padding? Never had any issues with my 16oz Venoms elites that I used for over 1month....

I'm about 5'10 and 185lbs at the moment, though I'm dropping down to 175lb soon and even further to 160lb if possible, but I reckon I hit the bag pretty hard, more -so than most people from what I've seen.

Just need to know if I should step it up to 14oz or something or if maybe just the Top King's were bad and I can stick with 12oz, but it's hard to tell at the moment , cuz like I said my knuckle is super sore and even though I got these new gloves , I can't properly test it.

I'm guessing its a mix of the wraps being too tight with the glove, and working the bag is still something new to you. Or at least the volume of repetition to your knuckles is

Hey guys, I bruised or did something to my right/jab hand (I'm southpaw) middle knuckle yesterday on the heavy bag . I was using these shitty 12oz Top King SuperStar Air gloves, which are actually genuine leather (~$100 gloves) but the hand compartment is TOO SMALL and cut up my hands/blisters within the 1week that I've had them. Yes, I do wrap my hands with 180 mexican style wraps (the freddy roach/pacquaio style method)

Just got some Ring to Cage 12oz C17 2.0 gloves today and was using them, but my knuckle was so sore that I could barely jab the bag, even lightly with no power, without it hurting super bad.

I probably shouldn't have, but I was super determined and pulled out these 16oz VENOM Elite gloves I had and continued hitting the heavy bag lightly until my hand warmed up a bit and got a lil more numb and then I could hit it pretty easily with no pain.

You guys reckon the fact that the hand compartment being too tight on my Top King gloves caused this? Or could it be they are 12oz gloves with less padding? Never had any issues with my 16oz Venoms elites that I used for over 1month....

I'm about 5'10 and 185lbs at the moment, though I'm dropping down to 175lb soon and even further to 160lb if possible, but I reckon I hit the bag pretty hard, more -so than most people from what I've seen.

Just need to know if I should step it up to 14oz or something or if maybe just the Top King's were bad and I can stick with 12oz, but it's hard to tell at the moment , cuz like I said my knuckle is super sore and even though I got these new gloves , I can't properly test it.
is normal. how old are you? i spent a couple of years with sore hand when i first started boxing. the secret is not having more padding it is having less. do more knuckle push ups and hit the bag at 75% with lite bag gloves and your hands will get really solid. i was asking your age because if you are young enough it actually alters the shape of your hands and gives you extremely thick hand bones.

you need to rest it, the glove weight 12/16oz doesn't matter

Listen to your body if you push it to hard you can do permanent damage. Think of torn acl's and detached retina's. I know its probably not that serious, but be carrful.

i started boxing for about 6 weeks already and i have sore knuckles all the time now i think i should rest about a month

Top King gloves are not shitty. They probably gave you blisters because they are new and need some time to break in.

Back