Bruce Lee sparring footage.

• Thread starter Deleted member 391673
  • Start date
I'm sorry, but he was a freak of nature in terms of athleticism. He had tremendous speed and unnatural power for his size. He would've needed to learn the ground game, but he realized this and was the first person pushing for a combination of Martial Arts.

Obviously no one knows how he would've transitioned, but to say he wouldn't ever be successful is ridiculous. He is easily as naturally gifted as ANYONE to ever compete MMA.

bruce lee said in the past

someone who trains wrestling and boxing for 2 years will beat any traditional martial art black belt.

he also told that fighting is like 60% wrestling and 40% striking.

he was a freak of a well thinker in terms of martial arts.. and he was right with that stuff.

Last edited:
How was he a pioneer??

He was a single art student who revolutionized an art that is completely irrelevant today for its highly inefficient application.

I dont think people understand what a pioneer is.

Ehm, he was the opposite of that, he was an advocate for cross training and did himself practise many different martial arts, like boxing, judo etc.

Steven Seagal is a parody. I literally can't believe this guy was ever remotely famous for anything. Somewhere along the line he had an extremely lucky break that changed the trajectory of his life, and stopped him from being a Burger King assistant manager, which was his true destiny.
If I didn't have four kids to feed, I'd send you $20.00 to buy yourself lunch for your post; it was brilliantly brutal.

giphy.gif

How was he a pioneer??

He was a single art student who revolutionized an art that is completely irrelevant today for its highly inefficient application.

I dont think people understand what a pioneer is.

Sigh. His main contribution was 1. Bringing martial arts to the mainstream (teaching white folks / Hollywood). 2. Teaching people to be open to new ideas / mixing styles. 3. Being one of the first to point out conditioning and nutrition is important. 4. Slamming traditional martial arts for being too rigid (and being successful because what he said actually had some weight. 5. Empowered Asians all over the world.

Gracies might have been the masters of the ground game and practical arts but no way were their charisma gonna help push martial arts to the mainstream. He broke barriers as an Asian leading man.

It is unknown how well the dude would do but he's a visionary in getting people to think in that direction. He at least moved in the direction of practical sparring and was learning grappling from Gene Lebell before he died at the age of 33.

Also his movies are iconic and awesome.

He was an actor. If he could actually fight he would have proved it by you know, actually fighting. Loads of people offered him the chance to show his supposed fighting prowess but he always declined. Bruce Lee fanboys are like cult members.

If you want a laugh watch Bruce Lee on the heavy bag

<36>

He's fucking shit. It's boxercise level striking, no different to what you would see from average Joe's hitting a heavybag in their garage. Weak arm punches with zero power and he's not even especially quick.

Last edited:
Bruce Lee was very talented and if he trained in MMA he would not doubt be UFC top ten.

Funny enough, after watching MMA for the last year, Bruce basically resembles the annoying counter punches who never make the first move. Bruce Lee Vs Wonderboy Thompson would be the ultimate snorefest.

While I am as much a fan of Bruce as any other martial arts fan, these threads just induce face palm. Despite always professing this open style that is not defined by rules, his striking with his hands is always very wing chun oriented, which is great for controlling an opponent and deflecting strikes in certain situations but not something I consider to be highly applicable to MMA.

He's also sparring here as a demonstration, dressed as an umpire. Not exactly a display of true contest.

Steven Seagal is a parody. I literally can't believe this guy was ever remotely famous for anything. Somewhere along the line he had an extremely lucky break that changed the trajectory of his life, and stopped him from being a Burger King assistant manager, which was his true destiny.

I don't know where his money originally came from, but it had a huge influence on his Hollywood success. I believe he was a producer on even his first films.

A lot of morons in this thread.

Bruce was a genius, a bright light that had more output than everyone in this thread combined multiple times over. People trying to downgrade him are foolish.

bruce lee said in the past

someone who trains wrestling and boxing for 2 years will beat any traditional martial art black belt.

he also told that fighting 60% wrestling and 40% striking.

he was a freak of a well thinker in terms of martial arts.. and he was right with that stuff.
I never heard the 60% grappling/40% striking quote, but both seem to be very true. True to a scary degree, actually.

Sigh. His main contribution was 1. Bringing martial arts to the mainstream (teaching white folks / Hollywood). 2. Teaching people to be open to new ideas / mixing styles. 3. Being one of the first to point out conditioning and nutrition is important. 4. Slamming traditional martial arts for being too rigid (and being successful because what he said actually had some weight. 5. Empowered Asians all over the world.

Gracies might have been the masters of the ground game and practical arts but no way were their charisma gonna help push martial arts to the mainstream. He broke barriers as an Asian leading man.

It is unknown how well the dude would do but he's a visionary in getting people to think in that direction. He at least moved in the direction of practical sparring and was learning grappling from Gene Lebell before he died at the age of 33.

Also his movies are iconic and awesome.
Dope post! 10/10.
{<redford}

Damn he was quick BUT he would have needed to learn how to get his hands up a bit or someone would walk through his 3 inch punches and knock him the fuck out...

Wasn't he an actor like CM Punk?

Why does everyone have to be so rigid in their thinking with this idea that Bruce would either be a god or a scrub ?

The truth is we have no way to ever know however use some objectivity.

Training changes what was the best before seldom stays the same as time goes on. Look at the evolution of every sport the best athletes from 50 years ago would not be able to compete today as they were. But if you took those same people and let them evolve with current training methods they might very well still be great the same is true for Bruce Lee.

If you took him as he was in his prime and put him into a modern day mma fight he would get humiliated. But if he came up at the same time as todays great fighters with all the methods that have evolved and his drive he may have been one of the greatest if that is the path he took.

The truth of the matter is he inspired a lot of people he was very good for his time, he had the right idea that styles should be about effectiveness not just flash and tradition. He started cross training before it was really a thing and was clearly very good for his time.

But seriously the wild swings on this site are insane why is there so few who can look at things with objectivity and not wild flights of god or scrub.

Back