Bruce lee doing a cool feint jab into power side kick

chuck did what most would could semi contact point sparring and has said bruce would beat him. also joe lewis who was a full contact kickboxer sparred with Lee.
Have you any sources that would confirm your statement about Chuck and Bruce? Boxing sparing with someone doesn't mean that you are good at boxing.
He of course did sparring throw this life. But sparring for competition is different thing.

I don't know why anyone worries about Bruce Lee could or couldn't do. We can see from videos he was a freak athlete, and he had a solid grasp of martial arts and learning, and brought back the idea of mixing grappling and striking. He was fun to watch in movies and fun to read his ideas. Could he beat Norris in a fight? I don't really don't care? Does it matter?

I don't know why anyone worries about Bruce Lee could or couldn't do. We can see from videos he was a freak athlete, and he had a solid grasp of martial arts and learning, and brought back the idea of mixing grappling and striking. He was fun to watch in movies and fun to read his ideas. Could he beat Norris in a fight? I don't really don't care? Does it matter?

No it dont matter.

I posted this in another thread but he does a great jab to the body then jab feint to the body folloed by a quick hook upstairs in this fight scene, that's one of my favourite real life moves, he may not have been a "professional fighter" but the guy knew his stuff

3:18

Completely agree, so many fighters be they boxers or MMA fighters, say they grew up watching Lee and he inspired them, his fight scenes were so good you can definately tell he knew his arse from his elbow when it came to practical techniques, hell even he admitted he wouldn't use so many side kicks in a real fight because that would be impractical, that was just for the cameras and excitement value

I am the only one who thinks people give too much credit to this movie star? He used experiment with a lot of fighting styles and is an influence to fighting sports. But people inflated his fighting ability so much.

Filming a "The Way of the Dragon" they asked for karate champion a.k.a. Chuck Norris to be one of the vilains. Off course in a film Bruce destroyed Chuck. But people to this day debates that Bruce could have taken out actual fighter. Even if karate is not most efficient way of fighting. Chuck had experience in real competition. There is huge difference between kicking a heavy bag or faking a kick and kicking a person to hurt him. It's even questionable that Bruce did real sparing.

Its not questionable that Bruce did real sparring because its known that he sparred and preached the importance of sparring with gear on so you could go harder. He was ahead of his time because just look at his training regimen that he meticulously wrote down. Advanced calisthenics, weight lifting, jump roping, stationary bike, road work, shadow boxing, sparring, heavy bags, mitts, kicking shields, 1000s of punches and kicks a week, diets, all ranges of combat, takedowns, grappling, etc. Did you know he took Judo in Seattle before he even met Gene Lebell and learned grappling form him? Bruce Lees 1st student and good friend Jessie Glover was a black belt Judoka who dominated tournaments back in the day and Bruce would train with him and a few other guys. He even took formal lessons at the Seattle Dojo. If you're a serious martial artist then Bruce Lee should 100% be an inspiration because anyone who's trained hard can look at how Bruce trained and respect what he was doing.

Completely agree, so many fighters be they boxers or MMA fighters, say they grew up watching Lee and he inspired them, his fight scenes were so good you can definately tell he knew his arse from his elbow when it came to practical techniques, hell even he admitted he wouldn't use so many side kicks in a real fight because that would be impractical, that was just for the cameras and excitement value
I was a student at Bruce Lees original school in Seattle. In a real fight he wouldn't be bouncing around, he would try to close the distance by using an eye gauge(biu jee) or groin kick and unload with a straight blast. Trust me, the 2 things we always consistently did at every practice was biu jees and groin kicks and thats because he wanted those 2 things to be muscle memory and a natural reaction.

Its not questionable that Bruce did real sparring because its known that he sparred and preached the importance of sparring with gear on so you could go harder. He was ahead of his time because just look at his training regimen that he meticulously wrote down. Advanced calisthenics, weight lifting, jump roping, stationary bike, road work, shadow boxing, sparring, heavy bags, mitts, kicking shields, 1000s of punches and kicks a week, diets, all ranges of combat, takedowns, grappling, etc. Did you know he took Judo in Seattle before he even met Gene Lebell and learned grappling form him? Bruce Lees 1st student and good friend Jessie Glover was a black belt Judoka who dominated tournaments back in the day and Bruce would train with him and a few other guys. He even took formal lessons at the Seattle Dojo. If you're a serious martial artist then Bruce Lee should 100% be an inspiration because anyone who's trained hard can look at how Bruce trained and respect what he was doing.
I can't wrap me head around why people think that training with some expert means that you can be a fighter. To learn certain technique is one thing, but to fight in combat sports is another. I train kickboxing and some jiu-jitsu with guys who previously fought professionally - So I am a fighter? I know some stuff, but I am not a fighter because I haven't fought anybody. It's plain fact. What I want to say: without professional record - you are not a fighter. Bruce is an inspiration and one of the king, but he is an actor and with combat training - not a fighter.

I can't wrap me head around why people think that training with some expert means that you can be a fighter. To learn certain technique is one thing, but to fight in combat sports is another. I train kickboxing and some jiu-jitsu with guys who previously fought professionally - So I am a fighter? I know some stuff, but I am not a fighter because I haven't fought anybody. It's plain fact. What I want to say: without professional record - you are not a fighter. Bruce is an inspiration and one of the king, but he is an actor and with combat training - not a fighter.

Who gives a shit?

You apparenty do. You replied to we previous post.

Edited: You replied to a lot of guys here. So yea - you do give a damn.

Nice try but NO. My replies to the other posters regards the original topic. My reply to YOU is who gives a shit what YOU think? I don't. Theres more than enough champion fighters that respect Bruce Lee for what he did because real recognizes real. You probably haven't even trained hard enough to really understand. The point is most people dont give a shit that Bruce never fought professionally because they dont think small.

Nice try but NO. My replies to the other posters regards the original topic. My reply to YOU is who gives a shit what YOU think? I don't. Theres more than enough champion fighters that respect Bruce Lee for what he did because real recognizes real. You probably haven't even trained hard enough to really understand. The point is most people dont give a shit that Bruce never fought professionally because they dont think small.
There is a problem with statement - "nobody cares that he wasn't a real fighter". I believe if more knew that he wasn't - the less the bubble would be inflated about his "martial art skill".

I am not a hater of Bruce Lee, but I hate when people inflate abilities of others just because their are dead or well known.

There is a problem with statement - "nobody cares that he wasn't a real fighter". I believe if more knew that he wasn't - the less the bubble would be inflated about his "martial art skill".

I am not a hater of Bruce Lee, but I hate when people inflate abilities of others just because their are dead or well known.
good for you

you know there wasnt mma or kickboxing in the states at the time right?

there was MMA all over the world, as claimed by ancient Shaolin (combination of ancient Asian arts) and also stuff like Pankration and old OLD european western arts. There was Vale Tudo in Brazil, but there was no MMA in America. For sure, Lee was the first one who brought the importance of MMA exclusively to the states. with the exception of lebell's fight vs milo savage, there was no MMA in america yet. and if it was, it was often disregarded and seen as "untraditional"

For me it kind of does matter. I have very little knowledge in striking (almost ignorant), however I love martial arts movies. There are people who talk about Lee like he was the second coming, claiming his martial arts skill were way ahead of his time, and there are people who say he was just an actor, with skills that only looked good on screen. I am not even going to use the grappling factor. How would Lee have done against a competent striker during his lifetime (1960's, 1970's)? Like a good Boxer or a Muay Thai practitioner from Thialand?

He did invent Jeet Kun Do, are there Jeet Kun Do practitioners that excelled in Muay Thai (I am assuming that is the least restrictive martial art rule wise)?

This is a serious question, I am honestly not trolling or trying to stir up a fight between Lee fans and haters.

For me it kind of does matter. I have very little knowledge in striking (almost ignorant), however I love martial arts movies. There are people who talk about Lee like he was the second coming, claiming his martial arts skill were way ahead of his time, and there are people who say he was just an actor, with skills that only looked good on screen. I am not even going to use the grappling factor. How would Lee have done against a competent striker during his lifetime (1960's, 1970's)? Like a good Boxer or a Muay Thai practitioner from Thialand?

He did invent Jeet Kun Do, are there Jeet Kun Do practitioners that excelled in Muay Thai (I am assuming that is the least restrictive martial art rule wise)?

This is a serious question, I am honestly not trolling or trying to stir up a fight between Lee fans and haters.

There is a big difference between being a competitive success and just knowing what you're talking about. Many people argue the best coaches are actually not good competitors because good competitors might rely on natural abilities rather than technique and understanding. This is a wild exaggeration, but if Mike Tyson was your trainer, he might say "just hit him once and he'll be knocked out" and then not understand why you got knocked out instead.

Whatever his actual fighting abilities, Lee was at least a competent martial artist.

Edit: And the last point, we will never know how good Lee was under whatever rules. It might be fun to wonder about, but ultimately it's just pointless to argue one side or the other.

Last edited:
Back