Brother kills sister

Just making the same arguments gun nuts do. Ban cars, Ban knives, ban pencils... It's a pretty dumb argument isn't it? lol

You think the statement that "guns don't kill people, people kill people" is a stupid gun nut argument?

Do you understand how the blame game works? A drunk driver kills someone while driving . . . we don't harp on Budweiser or Ford. We blame the individual.

Do you seriously not also see how that applies in the situation when a firearm is involved . . . yet everyone jumps all over the "let's blame the gun" crap.

To be fair gun safety should be taught more. I think you should have to take a class to purchase a handgun.

How about having to take a class to pass high school? Not every handler is an owner.

"The gun didn't kill anybody, the kid did, so this is not a gun problem," is one of those trite mindless statements that I think we should move beyond. I think this topic has earned a higher level of discussion than that at this point.

This kind of story is one of the many reasons I've been saying that people should be required to take a class and obtain a license to own a firearm. Having a loaded weapon within reach of a 9-year old kid is exactly the type of thing that the parents should have been trained not to do.

I also think that once you obtain a license, you should be required to purchase a small safe along with your first firearm. In Maryland they require guns to come with trigger-locks, but nobody wants to fool with a trigger lock, they are just too frustrating to open when you are in a hurry. But a punch-code safe could be more effective, more likely to be utilized, and would prevent children and intruders from getting to your firearm.

How do you believe the 9-year old would have killed his 13-year old sister in that situation without a gun?

There's more than one aspect of the dynamic. The malevolence of mankind is as valid to discuss as the nature of the tool, legislation, and ethics. If you want to ignore that part of the equation in order to discuss other things more specifically, but I'm not sure you're actually raising the discussion here.

How are classes some magic bullet? People aren't robots getting programmed, as driving results indicate. There's basically four rules of safety to memorize and a bunch of laws. But ok, let's compromise. Require it for graduating high school and I'd support a written test to accompany the background check.

A license to exercise a fundamental right is a non-starter. Shame on your disrespect for civil liberties. As for the safe, I'm all for requiring ownership if the mandate includes a tax credit. If the public demands it the public can fund it. Everybody wins. Just can't require the gun be locked up at all times since quick access is key to effective self-defense.

A public campaign to hold parents accountable for allowing unsupervised access to minors I'd support. I don't have details, but let 'em know there's a crackdown coming and start to impose some real penalties. See what happens.

How many folks have you driven along side of during your commute and asked yourself how they got their license based on how they're driving?

graph-for-press-release.jpg

I would find this argument more convincing if it was accompanied by the stats on accidental deaths and suicides in that area.

If someone wants to off them self they will find another way to do it. Accidental deaths are also rare. I grew up in a small city of about 25,000 people and in a county of about 80,000. There is a lot of woods and wild life around here and hunting is very common.

There are a lot of guns around here and they're mostly used for hunting. The kids that rifle hunt can start at the age of 12 after taking a hunter's safety course. When I grew up kids always knew how to handle and respect guns and never to inappropriately fuck with them.

I don't own guns and probably never will, because I don't really care for hunting and live in a low crime area where I can leave my doors unlocked, but I am not threatened by the gun culture around here, because our community has proved they can handle it.

Here are the crime stats from where I live. One murder in 15 years...

85GxUWb.png

People die from all sorts of accidents. Electrocution, power tools, ladders, cars, etc... So I believe using the accident angle (as tragic as they can be) is a little dishonest.

$1500? Must be a nice ride there. Atleast now I know you know absolutely nothing about trucks.

You can go on any cities craigslist and find a square body for $1500. They're a dime a dozen.
And for a little background, I've had a 82 k10 with a build 396 I put in it since high school.

You can go on any cities craigslist and find a square body for $1500. They're a dime a dozen.
Maybe a piece of shit...no argument there. But any worth buying aren't going for that. Unless, you're talking about buying one for a frame off restoration or something then yea.

How are classes some magic bullet? People aren't robots getting programmed, as driving results indicate. There's basically four rules of safety to memorize and a bunch of laws. But ok, let's compromise. Require it for graduating high school and I'd support a written test to accompany the background check.

A license to exercise a fundamental right is a non-starter. Shame on your disrespect for civil liberties. As for the safe, I'm all for requiring ownership if the mandate includes a tax credit. If the public demands it the public can fund it. Everybody wins. Just can't require the gun be locked up at all times since quick access is key to effective self-defense.

I never claimed that anything is a magic bullet, that is kind of my point here. There is no magic bullet for anything, you just make steps towards improving the problem. Is licensing a magic bullet for preventing car crashes? No, but it certainly helps.

Lol at saying "shame on you" for advocating for licensing. We already have age restrictions, we already have background restrictions, we already restrict the types of firearms that people can buy.

Do you believe a felon should own a gun? Do you believe a small child should own a gun?

If your answer is no, then shame on you! Lol. Some restrictions are necessary, as I would assume we all agree. A license does not ban a single gun, it just makes you prove that you know how to use and store the thing properly.

Maybe a piece of shit...no argument there. But any worth buying aren't going for that. Unless, you're talking about buying one for a frame off restoration or something then yea.
You're not going to find a show room quality one for that price, but you can find a driveable one that price.

Harder? Sure. Too difficult for a raging 9-year-old with his sisters back facing him? Not all.
Guns and knives are different.
You're operating under the assumption tha this kid had a plan to murder his sister and completely understood the consequences to his actions.
It of course sounds obvious to an adult that if you shoot someone in the head that they will die.
But an emotional 9 year old picking up a gun for the first time in a fit of rage over a video game and then pulling the trigger, like he's seen done in movies aand video games ? I wouldn't be too quick to declare that he understood the finality in the act he ws about to commit.

Guns can be toys, they're water guns, bb guns, we make cutesy pew pew hand shooting noises and gestures at each other, we see them in tv and movies. They have a different place in a child's mind than other weapons like knives or other blunt objects.

Over video game with parent's gun .

Mom makes lunch. Brother/sister argue over video game controller. 9 year old goes to parents bedroom retrieves handgun from unlocked nightstand . Shoots 13 year old sister in back of head.

No one in that family should be allowed to have a gun but muh 2nd amendment

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/03/19/us/boy-shot-sister-over-video-game-trnd/index.html

Obligatory this happened deep in nra country where they teach gun responsibility and everyone can walk around with a gun
You sound really sad over a kid killing another kid. I'm sure you actually care.

Over video game with parent's gun .

Mom makes lunch. Brother/sister argue over video game controller. 9 year old goes to parents bedroom retrieves handgun from unlocked nightstand . Shoots 13 year old sister in back of head.

No one in that family should be allowed to have a gun but muh 2nd amendment

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/03/19/us/boy-shot-sister-over-video-game-trnd/index.html

Obligatory this happened deep in nra country where they teach gun responsibility and everyone can walk around with a gun
Just shitty parenting from more than one perspective.

I never claimed that anything is a magic bullet, that is kind of my point here. There is no magic bullet for anything, you just make steps towards improving the problem. Is licensing a magic bullet for preventing car crashes? No, but it certainly helps.

Lol at saying "shame on you" for advocating for licensing. We already have age restrictions, we already have background restrictions, we already restrict the types of firearms that people can buy.

Do you believe a felon should own a gun? Do you believe a small child should own a gun?

If your answer is no, then shame on you! Lol. Some restrictions are necessary, as I would assume we all agree. A license does not ban a single gun, it just makes you prove that you know how to use and store the thing properly.

Magic bullet in terms of safe handling. Sorry that sidetracked you from elevated discourse.

Showing you're not a prohibited person is bad enough. But it's weeding out people who've lost their right via due process and not making the law-abiding person's passing it dependent upon anything. Licensing is requiring permission be granted by the government to all law-abiding citizens. Pretty easy to see the difference. Somehow I doubt you'd be ok with needing a license to publish your opinion online. As for kids, that's just how it is and always has been.

Back