Broken fibula and torn ligaments

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by christ0ph, Aug 31, 2008.

1. christ0ph Orange Belt

christ0ph
    Hey guys I broke my fibula and tore some ligaments in my left ankle recently. Doctor says it'll be about 6 weeks before I can put weight on it.

Has anyone had any similar injuries and can give me some insight to what I can expect?
    I'm going to ask my doctor, but any idea how long I'll have to wait before I can squat?
    I feel like I'm wasting away right now just laying around doing nothing.

More information:
    It was a full break that needed a plate and 6 screws.
    I broke it in judo. Partner had a single leg and I tried to counter with uchi mata but he drove forward and my leg snapped because it was at a weird angle.

2. theNuge Brown Belt

theNuge
    Definitely follow the advice of your physical therapist. If you don't have a physical therapist then go out and get a physical therapist.

3. RedNeckJiuJitsu Black Belt

RedNeckJiuJitsu
    Dang, man. That sucks. Definitely find out what your doctor has to say (and if he says to never squat again, get a second opinion).

I snapped both bones in my left forearm when I was in 5th grade, shortly before school was out for the year, and my arm was in a cast for most of the summer.

Oh, and drink more milk!

4. you women have bones like glass.

Hope you like playing guitar or something. Take this time to order some books and get your S&P/nutritional learn on.

5. Cmart Compassionate Conservative

Cmart
    Any mod want to explain to me why injury threads, which are forbidden here, keep being allowed?

And hey TS I'm not trying to be insensitive - sorry about your injury - I'm recovering from surgery myself. I'm just wondering which is wrong, the "forbidden threads" section of the stickies, or the mods.

Perhaps injury threads are fine now and the" forbidden threads" sticky needs to be updated?

6. nomilkforsanta Nathan

nomilkforsanta
    time to boost your upper body and develop a monster grip! I would buy some bjj dvd's and switch to pure na waza training after it heals.

7. RedNeckJiuJitsu Black Belt

RedNeckJiuJitsu
    I think that as long as it's not a stupid injury thread like, "hey, my knee blew out on the leg press, what can i do to fix it? should i go to the doctor?" it doesn't fall under that. He's not askin' for a diagnoses, just comparin' situations.

8. Ukraiina Blue Belt

Ukraiina
    I have a similar injury. I suffered a MASSIVE fucking rupturing and ripping and tearing of all that shit in my left ankle. I went to the doc and got x-rays and stuff and he was basically i did everything but break my bone. I have strong bones i guess. Anyways 1 month later i am still limping, i can put weight on it but only slowly, meaning i can walk put absolutely no jumping or lifting. My toes are still bruised, and my ankle is still huge. Basically expect no deads or squats for 3-4 months.

It sucks for me because I came across S&P during the summer and couldn't wait to go to the gym and implement and the new stuff I learned but i guess i will have to wait.

9. physicaltherapy Blue Belt

physicaltherapy
    plates and screws = an effing major injury.

Your doc probably won't know for certain. They'll have to do more x-rays as you start healing up.

10. Cmart Compassionate Conservative

Cmart
    If that's the case, a change to the sticky would be great - to clarify.

I'd hate to see S&P shut down because, for example, some tool who claims to be a doctor gives someone injury advice and exacerbates their condition, maybe inviting a lawsuit.

There are good reasons not to have injury threads here at all, not the least of which is that this forum isn't called "Injuries & Rehabilitation".

11. christ0ph Orange Belt

christ0ph
    I understand what you're saying, but I'm not soliciting medical advice though. It's not like I said, "oh hay gais,
    I think i did something to my leg, what do you think it is? do i need to go to the doctor?"

The point of my thread is to get some insight into the rehabilitation time and if any other users had similar injuries
    and how it affected them and how long it took them to get back to lifting.

I understand that everybody is different and I would take anything said and consult my physician and come up
    with a well thought out plan for my rehab. Some of the information has been helpful already though. I currently
    do not have a physical therapist, but I plan on getting one as soon as my insurance at my new job kicks in.

With that said, the hardest part about being crippled is killing time. I've taken up to watching movies though, I highly recommend Robocop criterion edition. That movie is fucking awesome. Also been working my CoC and
    probably going to try to do CHINS this week.

12. MatterOverMind Abort, Retry, Fail?

MatterOverMind
    Oooh, tell me more.

[/ZOP]

13. nickdiaz2007 Green Belt

nickdiaz2007
  14. ChachiKiller Brown Belt

ChachiKiller
    I would guess you start with a plaster cast for the first month then move to an air cast. In addition crutches to cane to regular walking.

Crucial parts:

Do the band exercises religiously. Do not skip them.

Make sure that you relearn to walk normally again. Having the cast and other assisted measures and being tentative may shorten your gate, make you place your weight on a different part of your foot and that may lead to injury in your knee and lower back.

You may feel at some point (after your casts are off) that something feels frozen. Just keep working at it.

Six months after I broke mine I was light sparring. I heard and felt a large crack like I stepped on a branch. My ankle released and it felt great.

Good luck!

15. christ0ph Orange Belt

christ0ph
    ^ What's an air cast?

I'm in a half cast.. I only have the back part of a cast and it's wrapped up in an Ace bandage thing. The staples are coming out tomorrow, I'll try to take pics and post.

16. Millitant White Belt

Millitant
    i have the same injury got it 2 weeks ago n i get out my cast in 4 weeks n i was wondering how good u r recovering? is heavy squats n kicks a problem? im gonna start trying hammer levering while im stuck like this since.

17. Andy Rickert Amateur Fighter

Andy Rickert
    man, SAME thing happened to the one of the guys in my club. Was about to say "Preston, is that you?"

18. Dirty Holt Professional Fighter

Dirty Holt
    happened to me my sr year of college. it was my tibia though. after about 6 weeks as your doc said, i could put weight on it and wrestle/fight. however, the ligament damage was far worse than the bone damage.

getting full flexibility for your squats is going to be very difficult, especially on your descent. i figured out a pretty cool thing to do to help get better squat depth: i started doing zercher racked squats (you could sub back squats) at about 3/4 depth, then just lowered about a rung a week. this takes all of the descent stress off of the ankle which makes the squats almost impossible.

19. hunto Brown Belt

hunto
    Lighten up Francis.

Like the other guy said, he's not here asking how to fix it. He's just asking for experiences. No one has claimed to be a doctor, as far as I've read. There is a difference.

And if the rules need interpreting, the mods will do it. Urban, Standard, Lusst, and Mschatz do a fine job of modding this subforum. This subforum has less BS in it than any other training forum. So chill with the paranoia, and let the mods operate.

20. hunto Brown Belt

hunto
    Good luck with it Crist0ph