Brock shouldn’t be considered a freak show fighter

its the exact same shit, just because you don't like it doesnt mean its not accurate.
he was out of the sport for 4 years and never fought in the mw divison. its the same level of stupid. if anything it's more absurd because of the unwillingness gsp always had in fighting at mw. at least brock was game.
yeah sure beating one borderline top ten guy being 1-1 in the UFC is the same as being one of the greatest champions of all time. :rolleyes:

I hated the hype around him but I agree he is a legit fighter that deserves respect for what he did, unsurprising ped pop aside

Still more qualified than Conor's instant title shot at 155, or Edgar's at 145, or Chael's at 205. You see where I'm going with this.

What?!?!

Conor was the 145 champ going Up

Edgar beat everybody not named Aldo at 145, former 155 champ

I'll give you Sonnen, even tho he still had a WAY better resume than Brock

But he accepted to replace Hendo a week before the event

Dana rewarded him with a TUF coaching job and a Fight Vs Jones

Sonnen name was really big Back then

Now just stop

no way in hell did he earn a title shot.

Didn't Randy Couture get an immediate HW title shot in 2007?

This was following a retirement, losing his LHW belt to Chuck Liddell and spending years at LHW? His last 2 fights at HW were both losses (to Josh Barnett and Ricco Rodriquez in 2002), 5 years previous.

Are we pretending now that Randy earned his title shot and that HW title shots are given according to a rigorous process?

Heath Herring was a top-10 win.
This was Heath Herrings retirement bout and he was low end of that "top10", and his other win is over over a 2-5 fighter, and loosing to Mir.
IF THAT'S EARING a title shot I've got a bridge to sell you.
GSP didn't earn a MW title shot Conor didn't earn a LW shot doesn't make it less of a fact Brock didn't earn a shot. It was only threw his freakshow draw stop pretending.

Didn't Randy Couture get his HW title shot immediately after losing his LHW belt to Chuck Liddell and spending years at LHW?

His last 2 fights at HW were losses to Josh Barnett and Ricco Rodriquez in 2002, 5 years previous.

Are we pretending now that HW title shots are normally given according to a rigorous process?
Not close to as ridiculous as Brock's title shot.

Brock won the title and defended so he was a legitimate champion, I'm not claiming he wasn't. But saying he in any way shape or form earned his title shot is absurd.

Not close to as ridiculous as Brock's title shot.

If anything it's even more ridiculous.

At least Lesnar had actually fought in the division, and actually had a win. Couture hadn't been there in 5 years, and only had losses in that period.

If anything it's even more ridiculous.

Lesnar was the only one of the pair with a recent win at HW before his title shot. Couture had long left the division with some ancient losses.

People justified Couture's title shot "he won it, so he earned it" but they can't give the same treatment to Lesnar.
so Randy had never had any wins at HW. That's news to me. Randy was at least a former champion

so Randy had never had any wins at HW. That's news to me. Randy was at least a former champion

You'd have to go back 6 years before his title shot to find his wins in the HW division. His last two fights at HW were losses, five years before his immediate title shot.

Also I never said Couture didn't have any wins at HW, you made that up for your own reasons.

He earned his way to his title shot.

Whoa... hold on, what?!

He went 1-1 in the UFC and had one win before that.

I must have missed the sarcasm or trolling in the op...

You'd have to go back 6 years before his title shot to find his wins in the HW division. His last two fights at HW were losses, five years before his immediate title shot.
His title shot was weird, but at least he was a former champion. Brock's was absolutely absurd.

Original run when “tested” was pretty impressive, 300lb purple gorilla beating Mark Hunts skull in was a pure Freak Fight with USADA exemption necessary to make it happen.

His title shot was weird, but at least he was a former champion. Brock's was absolutely absurd.

You complain about the legitimacy of Lesnar's title shot, while giving a free pass to the man he took the belt from.

Lesnar was the only one of the pair with any recent wins in the division, so his title shot was less absurd than Couture's. Both were given title shots because it was good business, so don't pretend only one of them was given special treatment.

I hated that he came to the UFC but learned to really like him after a while. He was fun to watch even if I mostly rooted against him

You complain about the legitimacy of Lesnar's title shot, while giving a free pass to the man he took the belt from.

Lesnar was the only one of the pair with any recent wins in the division, so his title shot was less absurd than Couture's.
he was 1-1 outside of a fight with a guy who is 3-7 in regional competition. You think that is deserving of a title shot :rolleyes:

With the exception of the Mir / Lesnar II build up and the embarrassment that was the post fight interview, Brock was very straight up and often times quiet.

He earned his way to his title shot, defended, ducked no one and even fought dudes that he knew were gonna kick his ass (Reem)

He was a big paycheck and an enormous draw. I despised his presence when he was active but in hindsight he didn’t teabag the UFC and their fans the way their flavor-of-the-month does now. He was always down to fight, was quite active when he wasn’t injured and really did well considering the amount of time he formally trained.

When Cain was coming for his belt he didn’t stop fighting for two years which is really cool when you think about it

Cliffs:

Disliked Brock during his run. Appreciate him now that I’ve seen the McGregor and Ronda shit shows.

nope he was hang givin a title shot so dana can punish randy.

he was 1-1 outside of a fight with a guy who is 3-7 in regional competition. You think that is deserving of a title shot :rolleyes:

Actually I felt the title shot was very premature and said so at the time.

Neither man earned a title shot based on their recent merits in the HW division. Both were given title shots because it was good business, so it's hypocritical when apologists pretend that only one of them was given special treatment.

Actually I felt the title shot was very premature and said so at the time.

Neither man earned a title shot based on their recent merits in the HW division. Both were given title shots because it was good business, so it's hypocritical when apologists pretend that only one of them was given special treatment.
But Brock's was way more adsurd. I've said many times Randy didn't earn that title shot but it's not close to as bad.

With the exception of the Mir / Lesnar II build up and the embarrassment that was the post fight interview, Brock was very straight up and often times quiet.

He earned his way to his title shot, defended, ducked no one and even fought dudes that he knew were gonna kick his ass (Reem)

He was a big paycheck and an enormous draw. I despised his presence when he was active but in hindsight he didn’t teabag the UFC and their fans the way their flavor-of-the-month does now. He was always down to fight, was quite active when he wasn’t injured and really did well considering the amount of time he formally trained.

When Cain was coming for his belt he didn’t stop fighting for two years which is really cool when you think about it

Cliffs:

Disliked Brock during his run. Appreciate him now that I’ve seen the McGregor and Ronda shit shows.

Embarrassment? That was one of his Better(if not THE BEST) interviews(which isn't saying much).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back