Brits, help a Yank out

If you arent used to the cold, take a polar coat with you . :)
You might get lucky with the weather tho..

Well, lah-di-dah, Mr. Monocle. Sounds like you don't need any input from us filthy serfs. Just have your butler organise a fox hunt and a dinner party with the Rothschilds.
LOL, well I know there's a lot of shit to do in Central London and it's easy to get around.

I'm not opposed to traveling around the city by any means.. it's just harder to do when you're not familiar with a city. I'm open to suggestions for lessor known things of course because I find that they are more charming than all the touristy shit to do.

If you arent used to the cold, take a polar coat with you . :)
You might get lucky with the weather tho..
I live in Chicago, I'm very used to extremely cold weather. I have a nice peacoat that I'll be bringing with, should be fitting lol.

I spent quite a bit of time in the UK related to work and would go to London on weekends. I found South Kensington to be an ideal spot to stay. I could walk to many different areas or take a short ride on the London tube. best advice I got was from the owner of an antique book store who moved to London 35 yrs earlier. He said I should pick a neighborhood to explore each day: Chelsea, Marlybone, Notting Hill, city of London ... which I did over several weeks.

A few thoughts:

- Skip the eye and Buckingham palace
- as a kid I thought the tower of London was cool
- portrait gallery is worth seeing.
- soccer match at Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal
- go to a play in the west end
- Notting hill is my favorite neighborhood
- get out with the people: Portobello road market on a saturday, Hyde park on a sunday
- Regent's park
- St paul's and Westminster Abbey.
- fish and chips
- local pub

That's off the top of my head. Have a great trip.
Fish and chips for sure. Had them in Dublin in August and they were amazing, I'm sure I can find even better places in London.

The soccer match idea is pretty great, I know fuck all about soccer but I feel it would be a great experience to go to one there.

The last two nights I'm staying there, I'm going to be close to Notting Hill so I have to make sure I explore that area well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Before you do anything else you're going to want to grab an Oyster card. They're available at any underground stations and you can top them up at the same machines. They allow you to travel on trains and buses around the city. Just make sure you remember to tap your card when you're leaving the station or bus otherwise you'll get charged the max journey cost. Stand on the right hand side of the escalators or everyone will think you're a giant dickhead.

You'll also want to install citymapper on your phone. It tells you exactly which trains/buses to get and gives you full directions. I spend a decent amount of time in London and still use it all the time. Avoid black cabs, they're expensive as fuck, use Uber/Lyft if you have to but the public transport in London is excellent.
The Oyster card is something the woman I'm staying with the last two nights I'm there suggested through AIrBnB. I like the idea of doing that but I'd definitely need some directlion.. hopefully I won't have any issue with my cell service there so I can use that app because the last thing I need is to get lost constantly because I don't know where the buses and trains go.

Good to know I can use Uber as well... are black cabs like black cars here? I know you can get them through Uber as well.. they're just fancy cars basically (like limos) that charge more than regular taxis.

I'll make sure to get one of those cards at the airport since I'm going to take the train to central London from there. I also have Bank of America, which is part of the Global Alliance with Barclays.. so the nice thing is that I'll be able to withdraw from the ATMs without having to pay a service fee.

you sound like an old man, TeTe

Fish and chips for sure. Had them in Dublin in August and they were amazing, I'm sure I can find even better places in London.

The soccer match idea is pretty great, I know fuck all about soccer but I feel it would be a great experience to go to one there.

The last two nights I'm staying there, I'm going to be close to Notting Hill so I have to make sure I explore that area well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

No problem! let us know how your trip goes.

Safe travels!

Head down to the East End - Shoreditch, Old Street, Hackney. Clapham and Brixton are quite chill as well. Bare in mind no matter where you you'll see or encounter dickheads.

Add the Uber app if you don't already have one.

Head down to the East End - Shoreditch, Old Street, Hackney. Clapham and Brixton are quite chill as well. Bare in mind no matter where you you'll see or encounter dickheads.

Add the Uber app if you don't already have one.
I definitely plan on using uber if I can.... I need to see how ATT handle international service.

The Oyster card is something the woman I'm staying with the last two nights I'm there suggested through AIrBnB. I like the idea of doing that but I'd definitely need some directlion.. hopefully I won't have any issue with my cell service there so I can use that app because the last thing I need is to get lost constantly because I don't know where the buses and trains go.

Good to know I can use Uber as well... are black cabs like black cars here? I know you can get them through Uber as well.. they're just fancy cars basically (like limos) that charge more than regular taxis.

I'll make sure to get one of those cards at the airport since I'm going to take the train to central London from there. I also have Bank of America, which is part of the Global Alliance with Barclays.. so the nice thing is that I'll be able to withdraw from the ATMs without having to pay a service fee.
I'm actually going to be in London on the 4th when you arrive. If you want any help getting to grips with Oyster and shit I'm happy to help.

Black cabs are more like your NY yellow cabs. Back in the day people used them because you had to take a test called 'The Knowledge' to get a Hackney Carriage license which meant you knew every god damn road in London. Nowadays you don't have to take the test so they're basically like any cab but more expensive.

Brick lane is a fun urban place

Also Camden Town

I'd also through out the idea of a day trip to Brighton (where I live). It's less than £20 return and less than an hour each way so you could be back in London for the evening.

I definitely plan on using uber if I can.... I need to see how ATT handle international service.

I forgot to mention that certain tube lines are also 24 hours, and bus links a very frequent and efficient. But yeah, Uber definitely handy.

ATT should offer some kind of euro add-on at a fixed day charge?

Take a train to Oxford or Cambridge. Also Blenheim castle impressed me as a kid. You could hit that up on a day trip to Oxford.

I forgot to mention that certain tube lines are also 24 hours, and bus links a very frequent and efficient. But yeah, Uber definitely handy.

ATT should offer some kind of euro add-on at a fixed day charge?
I just looked and they do some international passport.. $40 for 30 days.. and you get 200 mb of data, $1 per minute for calls and unlimited texing.. video, text and pics.

There is loads to do in London but I would defo get a tube ticket and go exploring some of the areas around, they are full of awesome shops and just British feel in general which will be nice for you coming here.

I'd avoid the eye it's boring and gay, but seeing the sights is fun. And if someone say alright it is perfectly fine to say yeah, i'm good you? Lol dunno why that guy said not to? Probably a yank o_Oo_O

I'm actually in Brick Lane on the 8th getting tattooed all day, might walk past you on the tube without even realising <45>

I just looked and they do some international passport.. $40 for 30 days.. and you get 200 mb of data, $1 per minute for calls and unlimited texing.. video, text and pics.

Hmmm, $40 for 30 days...I would've thought they'd offer a 7 day pass to start with, at least. 200mb won't get you far, as you prolly already know.

A euro pass is like £3 per day; and £4 per day for US & Canada. I use wifi wherever I can, but I don't usually vacate for more than 7 days a time.

Mind you, there are plenty of wifi hot spots in London - pubs, bars and restaurants, as well as using the underground

Back