British restaurants in the US - where are they ?

Honestly though I think things have changed significantly over the last 20 years, I remember the quality of food eating out in France used to be a good deal higher than here in the UK now but if anything the reverse is true these days. Obviously there is cheap crap in both countries but if you say stop in a country inn/bar/pub I think your actually much more likely to get good food in the UK, loads of such places in france are stuck in a 70's timewarp.

Lol

One step at a time, playboy. First, British food needs to get out of the "inedible" category. It has several layers to go through before it can even think about being classified as "better than French"

I was friends with a couple from England (well we still friends just havent seen them in a while) every time Id go to their house to just watch a soccer game or hang out, they would invite us (wife and I) just plain american stuff... like wings, french fries, we would drink coronas or heinekens...I mean there was nothing in their lives (when it comes to food only) that would tell me that this is a special dish or delicacy from England that Im inviting you guys...nothing.... we spoke about many other things from England and they were very proud of their country but when it came to food I just got the impression that there is not a huge culture of food in England.

Ive been to house from friends from other countries and you could always taste or try something new, but not from these friends.... they were extremely cool though and I loved hanging out with them, just pointing out this fact because of the thread

Do you guys have chippies and kebab shops? Curry houses? Greggs sausage rolls? Sunday dinner with yorkshire pudding?

I live in Canada now so pretty much America. You can get decent kebabs out here (They call them Donairs) and also pretty decent fish and chips. If you're ever out here don't even bother with the sausage rolls bro. I've never eaten curry so no idea how it compares to UK. As for Sunday dinners my mum and dad live out here too and they can throw together a good one, although she's German so stuff like Rotkohl gets thrown in too

Germany was the best place for food though. Nothing beats dat Schnellimbiss. But then you got the Turks and Greeks doing their shit on top of that ... plus Chinese restaurants in Germany were so much better than anything I've found in UK and Canada

I was friends with a couple from England (well we still friends just havent seen them in a while) every time Id go to their house to just watch a soccer game or hang out, they would invite us (wife and I) just plain american stuff... like wings, french fries, we would drink coronas or heinekens...I mean there was nothing in their lives (when it comes to food only) that would tell me that this is a special dish or delicacy from England that Im inviting you guys...nothing.... we spoke about many other things from England and they were very proud of their country but when it came to food I just got the impression that there is not a huge culture of food in England.

Ive been to house from friends from other countries and you could always taste or try something new, but not from these friends.... they were extremely cool though and I loved hanging out with them, just pointing out this fact because of the thread

I got slaughtered by American sherbros here when I posted pics of some of my traditional British meals like my beans on toast and my fishfinger sandwiches. Pretty sure there are still a few around who've never forgiven me for that shit. Basically if I got foreigners around I'm not offering them British food. It'd just end in tears

I got slaughtered by American sherbros here when I posted pics of some of my traditional British meals like my beans on toast and my fishfinger sandwiches. Pretty sure there are still a few around who've never forgiven me for that shit. Basically if I got foreigners around I'm not offering them British food. It'd just end in tears
Nowt wrong with a fish-finger butty. Whack a bit of BBQ and some lettuce on there - sorted.

Forget the British, still waiting on the Polish Asian Soul Food craze to take off!
sharing-with-friends.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

not saying a place like that wouldnt work (seems like it does.) i just dont imagine it being popular enough that at some point, you could find a restaurant like that in most major cities.

Agreed , they have a little niche and that's probably it.

Lol at Americans thinking British food amounts to egg and beans!

well stop inventing shitty food like beans on toast. Seriously, yall act like its a mean cuisine when in reality is gross lol.

It would work if it was a pub serving pub food. Or possibly if it was themed. Otherwise no one would bother.

Even in England they'd rather eat kebab or tikka

British breakfasts look like they'd sell well.

full-english-breakfast035%2Bcopy.jpg

Did they just dump a can of baked beans into a bowl?

I'll go for some fish and chips, but there are few other British dishes I can think of that other countries can't top.

" I think our traditional British meals are shit"

Isn't that the kinda the point ? I don't think anybody thinks its impossible to get good food in the country , only that traditional " British " food is underwhelming.

Why would you have a British food themed restaurant that specialized in Indian food ?
No because i'm in a minority here loads of people love British dishes.

And we have Carverys here that sell basically only British dinners and Sunday roast unlimited buffets and they are super popular.

I just love foreign food like Indian, Italian, Spanish etc.

I got one spot called Toad in the Hole near me that is straight fire. Anyone looking down on bangers & mash should be slapped, and forced to become a man. That's some real man food.

Granted, if all you have eaten was a garbage execution of pub food which most of it is you may think different. This food can be done right at an establishment that cares however.
There's actually a meal called Toad in the Hole and it's nice actually.

Growing up every kid had Bangers and mash with baked beans atleast once a week here lol

Mash mixed with beans... Oh god, i'm getting hungry.

There's actually a meal called Toad in the Hole and it's nice actually.

Growing up every kid had Bangers and mash with baked beans atleast once a week here lol

Mash mixed with beans... Oh god, i'm getting hungry.
Ya that spot does that dish from time to time as a special. They got a bunch of different pasties too.

xlxy74.png

Crushing a few Fuller's Bangal Lancers with that. Tremendous.

Thanks to the TS for reminding me I'm hitting this spot tomorrow.

well stop inventing shitty food like beans on toast. Seriously, yall act like its a mean cuisine when in reality is gross lol.
I've never seen anyone suggest beans on toast is a 'mean cuisine' lol

Back